Windows 10: Black box over icons

Discus and support Black box over icons in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have this problem where I navigate to a folder and there are big black boxes over my icons. I've tried deleting IconCache.db in the AppData\Local... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ObviouslyNotTaken, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Black box over icons

Hi, I have this problem where I navigate to a folder and there are big black boxes over my icons. I've tried deleting IconCache.db in the AppData\Local folder, but it didn't work. Can someone help? Thanks

Black box over icons df486745-0a11-47ae-93c4-05fbee396344?upload=true.png

:)

ObviouslyNotTaken, Apr 20, 2021

2. Cheap Photo box that will get the job done

WEll i took on this project for PP hes a hardware reviewer and wants to get the professional looking pics for the Pc parts

Materials:
    • Big cardboard box
    • a razor
    • white material 3 yards
    • cone lights
    • stapler
    • medical tape
    • pvc pipe about 6 inches longer than your box
    • white paint any cheap finger paint would work
    the project I'm guessing will cost me $30 if it works out properly
    I will post pictures and step by step as i do it

MomentoMoir, Apr 20, 2021
  3. Cheap Photo box that will get the job done

keep us posted. i'll be interested in this as i've been wanting to do one for a while.

Chicken Patty, Apr 20, 2021
  4. Black box over icons

black icons

So i recently looked into how to remove those shortcut arrows and stumbled upon this registry edit:

REG ADD “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons” /v 29 /d %SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll,50 /f

after applying this and restarting the computer, my windows 7 now has black icons. Its not black boxes over the icons, its straight up the icon is black. when i refresh, i can see for a milisecond the real icon. Anyone know how to fix this besides a system restore? (i don't have any restore points *Bang Head :bangheadBlack box over icons :)

Edit and I also went into the registry and went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer, and clicked on "link" and edited the value for it to 0000 00 00 00 00

not sure if that also contributed to this problem.

Darkgundam111, Apr 20, 2021
Thema:

Black box over icons

1. Black box over icons - Similar Threads - Black box icons

2. Black box appearing on screen over apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black box appearing on screen over apps: This has happened a few times in the past but has since stopped but restarted again. It happens totally at random and if I'm playing a game it completely closes out the game without warning. The only way I've found to get rid of it is to restart my whole computer which is...
  3. Black box appearing on screen over apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black box appearing on screen over apps: This has happened a few times in the past but has since stopped but restarted again. It happens totally at random and if I'm playing a game it completely closes out the game without warning. The only way I've found to get rid of it is to restart my whole computer which is...
  4. white x over black box instead of normal icons on Cortana search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    white x over black box instead of normal icons on Cortana search: I updated my PC 2 days ago and It started showing an x instead of my icons if I search. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/white-x-over-black-box-instead-of-normal-icons-on/f4ddd21a-3f87-4ced-919f-eca72e2c1865
  5. white x over black box instead of normal icons on Cortana search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    white x over black box instead of normal icons on Cortana search: I updated my PC 2 days ago and It started showing an x instead of my icons if I search. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/white-x-over-black-box-instead-of-normal-icons-on/f4ddd21a-3f87-4ced-919f-eca72e2c1865
  6. white x over black box instead of normal icons on Cortana search

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Black boxes over Desktop icons HP Pavilion laptop, Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black boxes over Desktop icons HP Pavilion laptop, Windows 10: Several months to a year ago I carefully went through the steps to remove the arrows from my desktop shortcut icons. On very rare occasions, upon logging into Windows 10, black squares covered the icons except Recycle Bin and one other icon. These boxes could easily be...
  8. Black Squares Over Icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Squares Over Icons: Hi, So my Pc is having a problem where whwnever i play valorant some Black Squares come over icons on desktop, and sometimes over their windows also.But If i close the game they dissapper after some time.Please Help....
  9. white X over black box instead of normal icons in Cortana search

in Cortana
    white X over black box instead of normal icons in Cortana search: I updated my pc 2 days ago and it started showing this... If there is a solution to fix this then please tell me Thanks in advance [ATTACH]...
  10. (white X over black box, instead of normal icons in Cortana search.

in Windows 10 Support
    (white X over black box, instead of normal icons in Cortana search.: I have been having this weird icon problem lately So I recently updated from build 1709 or somewher around that to May 2019 update, this didn't affect that and it was like this all along starting a few weeks ago or so, Weird problem. PC have been doing some where stuff lately...