Windows 10: Black boxes behind icons and when dragging mouse on desktop

Discus and support Black boxes behind icons and when dragging mouse on desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Here is the issue. This just started happening recently. Coincidentally, it started happening after the latest Nvidia driver download. Just wanted to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ZelixOG7, Oct 5, 2019.

1. ZelixOG7 Win User

Black boxes behind icons and when dragging mouse on desktop

Here is the issue. This just started happening recently. Coincidentally, it started happening after the latest Nvidia driver download. Just wanted to see if anyone recognizes this issue and would know how to fix it. Specs below

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
    MOBO: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon
    RAM: 2x8gb Flare x 3200 cl14
    PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 750W
    STORAGE: 500gb Samsung 850 Evo (C: Drive) & 1tb WD Blue

:)

ZelixOG7, Oct 5, 2019

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 5, 2019
  3. opening icons on desktop

Hello Evaine,

We still can't identify the possible causes of this desktop icon issues you're experiencing. To get a closer look at the root cause, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are you also experiencing the same issue when clicking any icons on the Start menu?
    • Does the issue still the same when using another mouse? How about using your mouse on another computer?
    • Is it also possible to send us a screenshot when the white square box appears after you double click the desktop icon?
    • Have you also tried performing a hardware troubleshooter? If you still haven't, just follow the steps below:

Hardware Troubleshoot

Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. We would suggest that you run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter

We look forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Oct 5, 2019
  4. Black boxes behind icons and when dragging mouse on desktop

Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

Black boxes behind icons and when dragging mouse on desktop

1. Black boxes behind icons and when dragging mouse on desktop - Similar Threads - Black boxes behind

2. How to remove colored boxes behind desktop icons in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove colored boxes behind desktop icons in Windows 11: Hello. Does anyone know how to get rid of the coloured boxes behind desktop icons. I do not know how they got there. When I made these shortcuts for my desktop they appeared....
  3. How to remove colored boxes behind desktop icons in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove colored boxes behind desktop icons in Windows 11: Hello. Does anyone know how to get rid of the coloured boxes behind desktop icons. I do not know how they got there. When I made these shortcuts for my desktop they appeared....
  4. Theme colored boxes behind desktop icons in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Theme colored boxes behind desktop icons in Windows 11: These colored boxes appear behind the apps present in the desktop. These boxes change their color according to the theme color I set. These square boxes only appear for apps I have downloaded from Microsoft store. Can anyone pls tell how to remove these annoying boxes?...
  5. Theme colored boxes behind desktop icons in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Theme colored boxes behind desktop icons in Windows 11: These colored boxes appear behind the apps present in the desktop. These boxes change their color according to the theme color I set. These square boxes only appear for apps I have downloaded from Microsoft store. Can anyone pls tell how to remove these annoying boxes?...
  6. Desktop Icon Dragging Lags

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icon Dragging Lags: I'm using a brand new work machine with Windows 10 and experiencing a weird bug. When I attempt to drag a desktop icon from one place to another, there's a 1-2 second lag before the move actually occurs. During this time, a slightly transparent "ghost" of the icon will remain...
  7. windows desktop icons black box

windows desktop icons black box: everytime i restart my laptop my desktop icons have black boxes on top of them, cleaning the thumbnail cache fixes but next time i restart the black boxes are there again...
  8. Desktop turning black & black squres behind icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop turning black & black squres behind icons: When I do a selection (click and drag) the space that I selected turns my desktop background black. When my cursor goes over an icon, a black square appears behind it. Also, when I drag an icon around on the desktop, all of the background turns black. All of this started...
  9. Wallpaper becomes black when dragging the mouse or refreshing the desktop

Wallpaper becomes black when dragging the mouse or refreshing the desktop: Hello team, I hope someone can help me with this very annoying issue: Now and then my wallpaper will become black when I drag the mouse, select an icon or refresh the desktop: [IMG] More information: I have a GTX 1070 and my graphic driver is up to date: NVIDIA...
  10. icons on desktop will not drag

in Windows 10 Support
    icons on desktop will not drag: Win 10, 64 bit, recent upgrade from Win 7. Beginning this afternoon, all of a sudden, the icons on the desktop will not drag, they are fixed in place. I can delete them, open them, move them via right-click and 'copy to' or 'move to'. They simply will not move. I've...