Windows 10: Black desktop with icons after updating to 2004

Discus and support Black desktop with icons after updating to 2004 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When updating from 18363 to 19041 Windows 10 x64 and after reboot the desktop is black. I had this in June. I had this a few days back. Q: is this a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Mike_884, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Mike_884 Win User

Black desktop with icons after updating to 2004

When updating from 18363 to 19041 Windows 10 x64 and after reboot the desktop is black. I had this in June. I had this a few days back.

Q: is this a known issue?

Yes, I read about black screens-issues, but I don't know whether others are facing screens that are entirely black, i.e. without icons

Q: if this is -not- a known issue, is there a solution for this?

Restored the image that I always make prior to a big update.

Thanks!

Black desktop with icons after updating to 2004 f17aac4b-5e53-42e6-84e8-a94b7a8ee002?upload=true.png

:)

Mike_884, Aug 3, 2020

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Aug 3, 2020
  3. Desktop Icons Rearrange after Reboot

Hi Fernando,

There are several causes of this problem. It might be the display settings, outdated graphic drivers, or themes allowed on the desktop icons. Since this problem happens every after Windows update, we recommend performing some troubleshooting steps that are
    applicable for the issue. We suggest that you follow these methods on how to fix this problem:

Method 1: Uncheck Align icons to grid option on your desktop.

• Right-click on the desktop
    • Select View and then untick Align icons to grid
      option.

Method 2: Prevent themes to change desktop icons.

• On Cortana search, type themes and related settings.
    • Choose Themes and related settings from the list.
    • Under Related settings, click on Desktop icon settings.
    • Untick Allow themes to change desktop icons.
    • Click on Apply and then click on OK.

Method 3: Download the latest video or graphics drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Gerard Qui, Aug 3, 2020
  4. Black desktop with icons after updating to 2004

No icons on desktop after startup only

EagleEye,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried toggling the Desktop icons on and off?

• Right-click on an open area of the Desktop
    • Click: View
    • If Show Desktop icons is already checked, uncheck it.
    • Repeat the above steps a time or two.
    • Check: Show Desktop icons

Desktop Icons - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If no go on the above, right-click on the empty Desktop, and create a file.

Let us know if they come back on.

cottonball, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

Black desktop with icons after updating to 2004

1. Black desktop with icons after updating to 2004 - Similar Threads - Black desktop icons

2. Black desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Black desktop Icons: Been fighting this problem for a while now and tried everything I could find. Today I came here and found a file to restore the shortcut icon arrow and now all is fine, so far. My question is who at MS thought that a shortcut arrow was a good idea? Also, has anybody tried to...
  3. Black desktop after update to 19042.630

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black desktop after update to 19042.630: Windows 10 x64 build 18363.1198 Just updated to 19042.630 (took me 1h 42 minutes including the reboot) Desktop is black now. Updated the video driver (GTX 970 ) to the latest version. Makes no difference. I believe I tried to update quite a while ago and got this black...
  4. Black desktop screen after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black desktop screen after update: My desktop is now black and not its usual colour. other screens like this one are white as usual https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-desktop-screen-after-update/9e25c997-3f67-47fe-8ef3-1d2e2ff127d6
  5. All desktop icons missing after feature update to W10, version 2004

All desktop icons missing after feature update to W10, version 2004: The computer is a Surface, but I don't know which model. It belongs to a friend. It's the obvious obvious question, how to I recover the icons?...
  6. Black Screen after Update to 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black Screen after Update to 2004: Just got a notification on my desktop today to upgrade from 1903 to 2004, and once the pc restarts the screen turns completely black. After restarting numerous times, switching outputs, switching monitors (and also trying dual displays), the screen just keeps staying...
  7. No new icons after version 2004 update

No new icons after version 2004 update: Hello, everyone... I have a question related to an array of new icons recently introduced to Windows 10. Speaking frankly, I really like to see the new appearance of Windows 10's icons as I've seen in Youtube and several websites. Because of this, I then decided to update my...
  8. black screen after failed 2004 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    black screen after failed 2004 update: Attempted to install 2004 update from 1909 yesterday. Got stuck at 17% after reboot. I had to leave work and hoped the battery would last until I got home but it didn't. When I start my laptop I get the dell screen with the progress bar then goes to a black screen with a...
  9. Black desktop background after the latest Windows 10 Feature Update (2004)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black desktop background after the latest Windows 10 Feature Update (2004): I installed the latest Feature Update, and like many recent posts, I've had a few bugs to contend with. One issue I'd love to resolve is the black desktop background. Usually, I have a folder full of downloaded photos that the desktop cycles through. I'd previously confirmed...
  10. Black desktop with no icons after switching accounts

in Windows 10 Support
    Black desktop with no icons after switching accounts: Rarely, after I log into my own account after my father uses this computer, I get a black screen with nothing other than the mouse cursor. I have no way out other than to cold boot (which usually fixes the problem, but sometimes it doesn't and that's when CHKDSK comes up)....