Windows 10: Black login screen, can’t access anything on desktop.

Discus and support Black login screen, can’t access anything on desktop. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Good morning everyone. Starting this morning when i turn my laptop on, I just get a black screen. If I shake the mouse around a bit, itll show up,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JamesMagner, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Black login screen, can’t access anything on desktop.

Good morning everyone.

Starting this morning when i turn my laptop on, I just get a black screen. If I shake the mouse around a bit, itll show up, but nothing else will. However if i press anything on my keyboard, then type in my password like i normally would to boot up my laptop, it opens to my desk top.

However, from my desk top, all of my deak top items are gone, there is nothing to the left of mycalander/clock on the bottom right anymore, and while it shows two tasks opening like they normally do on start up spotify and discord, they dont actually pop up. When i scroll over them, the little preview window pops up of what the open tab should look like, but i cant actually open it. I can click on the internet browster tab to open a new web browser, it also doesnt open, but again the preview window shows what it should look like. I cant access anything, because nothing opens.

when i hit control+alt+delete, it pops up to the same complete black screen that it did when i boot up the computer. I cant see anything, but if i hit down kn the keyboard enough times, and hit enter, it goes back to the desktop and opens task manager. BUT WAIT! Task manager doesnt actually open, but a tab for it pops up on the bottom, where i can scroll over it and see the preview window of what it looks like, but it doesnt actually open.

I cant access a safemode start, i cant access task manager, i cant right click and open any settings, i cant do anything.

:)

JamesMagner, Mar 28, 2021

2. Black Screen after update

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community, we understand your concern and we will try pour best to help you resolve the issue.

I would suggest that you perform the steps mentioned below and check if you are able to access the desktop.

Method 1:

Step 1: Perform Power Drain and check if you are able to access your desktop screen.

• Unplug the charger and remove the battery of your laptop, if using a desktop remove the power cord.
    • Press and hold the Power button for 30sec.
    • Plug the charger/power cord and restart system.

Step 2: If you can access the desktop check if your system is functioning as normal. Also check which update got installed in your system, by opening Control Panel and then opening Programs and Features.

Method 2: Inaccessible Desktop.

If you are unable to access the desktop screen and you are stuck on the
    Black Screen,
    then I would suggest that you refer to the article
    Troubleshoot black screen problems provided in the link below and check if you are able to resolve the issue.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

Your reply is very important to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information to assist you accordingly.

Vanessa Sohtun, Mar 28, 2021
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    black screen

Hi Bart,

It is possible that you're experiencing black screen due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • What happen when you tried to login?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot black screen errors. You can choose which situation you're experiencing the error and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Mar 28, 2021
  4. J Capone Win User

Black login screen, can’t access anything on desktop.

Hanging loading wheel at login/Black Screen with pointer/Cannot Locate Desktop error - Windows 10

Problem:

Unable to login to my computer. Presented with black screen and mouse pointer after logging into my account (I am able to see the list of accounts, the start picture, and login before getting a black screen).

Details:

Computer is a Lenovo Yoga 14. Originally came with Windows 8; upgraded to Windows 10 with free upgrade offer in June/July of 2016. Worked well after the upgrade for some time. Began experiencing slow start up times one or two months ago but could always
    get to my desktop. Starting Dec 24th, I've only gotten a black screen with pointer after attempting to login.

Getting to the login screen takes several minutes. Severe lag when attempting action on login screen (typing in password, accessing options from power button in lower right hand corner). Logging in results in a spinning wheel for several minutes, then
    a black screen with mouse pointer.

Early into my attempts to resolve, I got to a blank desktop with an error stating the desktop path could not be found.

Solutions tried:

1. Refresh, restore, and startup repair give errors stating action cannot be completed.

2. Attempts to load in safe mode with networking results in a continuous black screen (no pointer). This keeps me from trying numerous solutions I've found on various forums.

3. Attempted to find steps for creating a boot disk on thumb drive. Information states a product key is required, something I don't have since I installed via free upgrade

4. Tried switching between monitors with Windows key and "p" as suggested in one solution - did not work.

5. At one point I was able to get into Task Manager - no longer the case

J Capone, Mar 28, 2021
Thema:

Black login screen, can’t access anything on desktop.

1. Black login screen, can’t access anything on desktop. - Similar Threads - Black login screen

2. Update disabled ports?can’t access anything!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update disabled ports?can’t access anything!: Hi allTurned on my sons pc todayall was good last nightNow not recognising any ports or monitor.Tried cables,tried rebooting,tried flash drive eith windowsport not workingany ideas.My son is neuro diverse ,has a project to complete and now increasing in distress.Cannot access...
  3. Update disabled ports?can’t access anything!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update disabled ports?can’t access anything!: Hi allTurned on my sons pc todayall was good last nightNow not recognising any ports or monitor.Tried cables,tried rebooting,tried flash drive eith windowsport not workingany ideas.My son is neuro diverse ,has a project to complete and now increasing in distress.Cannot access...
  4. Logon Ui error complete black screen no access to anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Logon Ui error complete black screen no access to anything: Its just a black screen that puts up that message and wont give me access to anything and this happened after updating and restarting windows...
  5. Computer screen is locked black I can’t login?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer screen is locked black I can’t login?: Hi I can’t login to my desktop computer screen is black how can I fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-screen-is-locked-black-i-cant-login/2c729822-42f8-489c-b66d-7f57bed30107
  6. Computer screen is locked black I can’t login?

Computer screen is locked black I can’t login?: Hi I can’t login to my desktop computer screen is black how can I fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-screen-is-locked-black-i-cant-login/2c729822-42f8-489c-b66d-7f57bed30107
  7. Can’t login into my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t login into my desktop: My desktop would always show pin, but when I type in my pin it would say that credentials aren’t verified and that the pin isn’t available. I tried to reset it but it says something went wrong and wasn’t able to reset it or set up. I tried to do password option, but there...
  8. Can’t login into my desktop

Can’t login into my desktop: My desktop would always show pin, but when I type in my pin it would say that credentials aren’t verified and that the pin isn’t available. I tried to reset it but it says something went wrong and wasn’t able to reset it or set up. I tried to do password option, but there...
  9. I can’t interact with anything on the desktop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can’t interact with anything on the desktop.: I accidentally unzipped a big file straight to my desktop so i used ctrl-z. Since then the task bar and desktop restart every time i click them, but other programs that are on work perfectly fine. At the bottom of task manager, Windows explorer is using 11% cpu and i can’t...
  10. Windows desktop not displaying anything; can’t access task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows desktop not displaying anything; can’t access task manager: I have an older hp computer and recently upgraded to windows 10 about a week ago. Everything has been fine until now where I can no longer access any search browsers or open any apps. The taskbar still shows up and when I click the icons it acts as if it’s open but I can see...