Windows 10: Black screen after cold boot

Discus and support Black screen after cold boot in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; After a cold boot I get a black screen with no mouse pointer. The computer powers up and the monitor comes on but the manufacturer's logo doesn't show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SteveCollins6, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Black screen after cold boot

After a cold boot I get a black screen with no mouse pointer. The computer powers up and the monitor comes on but the manufacturer's logo doesn't show and nothing else appears. After repeatedly powering off (holding power button down) and retrying 5 or 6 times it eventually boots.

I first noticed the problems after installing KB4100347: Intel microcode update a few weeks ago. I've not made any hardware changes or recent software changes other than Windows updates which are up to date.

I have a desktop PC, Windows 10 v1803, build 17134.407 with all updates installed.

I've tried the following solutions but none work:

• Uninstalled KB4100347 (since reinstalled).
    • Updated graphics driver (NVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti)
    • Disabled Fast Startup
    Control Panel => Power options => "Choose what the power button does" => "Change settings that are currently unavailable" => Untick the checkbox "Turn on fast startup".

• Run System File Checker
    From the Command Prompt enter
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    followed by
    sfc /scannow

• Tried Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B
    • Tried Windows logo key + P

I've checked the computer's connections which all appear OK.

I don't have any third-party antivirus software.

How do I fix it?

:)

SteveCollins6, Nov 26, 2018
  2. zplugger Win User

Black Screen after Log on

Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on what my next step should be?*Sad

zplugger, Nov 26, 2018
  3. Black screen after booting

Hi Darlene,

There are several reasons why this issue occurs, such as a corrupted driver, Internet connection, third-party software, and external hardware or devices. For us to investigate the issue, please clarify the following:

• Can you verify if the issue occurred during the update or after installing the update?
    • Are you able to log in to your computer?

In the meantime, we suggest performing the steps provided on this link to resolve your black screen
    issue. On the "Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors" section, select the error that you're experiencing from the options provided.

Get back to us with the result.

Lov Dollente, Nov 26, 2018
  4. Black screen after cold boot

Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Nov 26, 2018
Thema:

Black screen after cold boot

1. Black screen after cold boot - Similar Threads - Black screen cold

2. Black screen after initial boot screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen after initial boot screen: After the screen with the spinning dots and the Windows logo, the screen goes black. Windows is still responsive and makes sounds. To get it to display, I have to put the laptop to sleep and then wake it up to get it to display. I have tried reinstalling Windows and...
  3. Black screen after initial boot screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after initial boot screen: After the screen with the spinning dots and the Windows logo, the screen goes black. Windows is still responsive and makes sounds. To get it to display, I have to put the laptop to sleep and then wake it up to get it to display. I have tried reinstalling Windows and...
  4. Black screen after initial boot screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Black screen after booting from a cold boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after booting from a cold boot: Hey guys, so whenever I boot my pc especially from a cold state, the pc post, and boots and I get a black screen after loading the icon in the bios. Both my mouse and keyboard don't work and the cursor won't show up. Only RGB lightning works and when I press caps lock or num...
  6. Black Screen After Boot

Black Screen After Boot: Ok so I have had this issue happen to me twice now and the only thing that has changed is that I recently went from a Mamba TE to the Mamba Elite which had me install Synapse 3. What happens is my PC gets through boot, shows the Windows loading circle, but then it just goes...
  7. Cold boot just sits at boot screen

Cold boot just sits at boot screen: This just started happening about a week ago, Clean installed last night. Happened again this morning. Turn computer on > Posts > Shows windows loading screen with the circle spinning, Just sits there indefiantly until I turn it off and back on again then it'll boot. Any...
  8. Black screen before log in on cold boot, without cursor in Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen before log in on cold boot, without cursor in Win10: Hello. For a period of one month, I’m facing a black screen problem without a cursor before the login screen. I have a windows 10 installed PC, with an asus nvidia gt630 graphics card with the latest driver installed. I tried to uninstall the graphics card and reinstalled...
  9. Problems after cold boot today.

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems after cold boot today.: Hello, i've recently just had a couple unusual problems today after i started my computer from a shut down. The first thing that happened was a black screen with no hdmi signal a few minutes after logging in. The computer seemed operational but with just no graphics output....
  10. Win 10 after a cold boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 after a cold boot: This happens when I power up the pc and it boots. The desktop appears, and when I click normally on an icon (a desktop shortcut) to open it, it doesn't open. Instead I get the menu that I would get if I had right-clicked on the icon. If I open it from there, there are...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. amd r9 290 black screen on cold boot