Windows 10: Black screen after exiting games

Discus and support Black screen after exiting games in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, Ever since I installed the Windows 10 Anniversary edition update a few weeks ago, I've been having a weird display issue. Every time I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dgard, Nov 7, 2016.

1. dgard Win User

Black screen after exiting games

Hi all,

Ever since I installed the Windows 10 Anniversary edition update a few weeks ago, I've been having a weird display issue.

Every time I finishing playing a game, upon exiting back to Windows my desktop is completely black. After some trial and error I've found that disconnecting the HDMI cable from my monitor for a couple of seconds and then plugging it back in results in the correct display.

I've done some Googling and it's been suggested that Windows may be showing me a "ghost display"; that is, a display that it thinks exists, but actually doesn't.

However, I don't believe that is my issue, as in advanced Display Settings, no second monitor is displayed, and one is not detected when I click "Detect". In addition, the Intel HD Graphics application does not show/detect any non-existent device.

It was also suggested that my D-Sub connector may be faulty and thinking that there is a second display when there is not, but connecting a second screen via that port and then playing/exiting a game results in the same issue.

I'm currently at a loss as to what the issue could be, so if anyone has any hints/tips as to what my next steps should be (or, of course, the answer), I'd be grateful for your assistance.

Thanks,
    David

:)

dgard, Nov 7, 2016

2. Black screen after exiting games

So i bought a tv from a friend today to replace my broken PC monitor. It works perfectly expect for one thing. Whenever i quit a game like csgo the screen goes black and doesnt go back until i restart the system. Any help guys? The tv is samsung 23 inch
    i dont know the model. and it worked fine on the old monitor.

PauliKarasti, Nov 7, 2016
  3. Black screen after exiting games

Hi Pauli,

To help you with your concern regarding black screen, you may refer to the
    Troubleshoot black screen problem
    information. Check this link out.

We appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Nov 7, 2016
  4. dwgregson Win User

I also have been plagued with the same problem. I've found that just resetting the display driver works for me. (Win key+Ctrl+Shift+B).
    Dave

dwgregson, Nov 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Black screen after exiting games - Similar Threads - Black screen exiting

2. Sudden black screen while gaming

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sudden black screen while gaming: Randomly I get this black screen while gaming and I have to force shutdown the pc I think it is a software problem, because I do not have gpu related issues on Linux (even keeping it 100% full load for days) What could I do? submitted by /u/RazerPSN [link] [comments]...
  3. Black screen while launching a game

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen while launching a game: Hello I'm experiencing a problem while gaming. When i launch a game(tried it with more than one) i get a black screen. The computer Works just fine, but when i want to play games the screen goes Black. I have tried to reinstall the drivers, download all Windows updates and...
  4. Screen goes black after exiting windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Screen goes black after exiting windows recovery environment: I bought a laptop from someone and they weren't able to reinstall windows before selling. Whenever I finish selecting any of the options in the windows recovery environment the screen goes black and stays that way. Now instead of booting into windows it restarts saying it...
  5. Black Screen after login

Black Screen after login: I get the Black Screen after login and all is dead only way out is to press pwr and volume buttons to get the restart at the bottom of screen. So whats causing this BS since MS update FEB. 25 2019...
  6. Flashing black screen while gaming

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Flashing black screen while gaming: I have an amd rx 580. Ever since I installed the GPU a month ago I have had a flashing black screen while gaming or running benchmarks in any resolution above 1080p. I have tried everything and it seemed to have fixed itself until I had a silent windows update a few days ago....
  7. Exiting Games Results in a Black Screen, forcing hard reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exiting Games Results in a Black Screen, forcing hard reset.: Hey guys, lately my windows 10 pro/i7 4770/16 GB DDR3/EVGA GTX 1070 has trouble exiting games. Not every game, but i just finished off FEAR (1, long time getting to it, my list of shame is extensive), and when i exited it all there was was a black screen. It happens to some...
  8. BSOD after exiting games

BSOD after exiting games: This very same BSOD is back again :/ Last time, it used to freeze everything and then crash. Now, after exiting a game, the screen turns black and flickers from being turned on to off. Then it greets me with a very nice BSOD, with either VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE or...
  9. Black Screen after Log In

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Black Screen after Log In: My system has been working fine for a long time and after a power outage a couple of days ago, now when it boots up I get the normal log in screen but after I log in all I get is a black screen with the mouse showing. It did boot up normally right after the power came back on...
  10. Black Screen Closing Game

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black Screen Closing Game: I've been playing the fps Warface (downloaded via Steam), after the latest cumulative update (KB3081438) whenever I close out the game it crashes to a black screen forcing a restart. I can play all day without issue until I close it. This has been an issue running Nvidia...