Windows 10: Black screen after exiting games

Discus and support Black screen after exiting games in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, Ever since I installed the Windows 10 Anniversary edition update a few weeks ago, I've been having a weird display issue. Every time I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dgard, Nov 7, 2016.

1. dgard Win User

Black screen after exiting games

Hi all,

Ever since I installed the Windows 10 Anniversary edition update a few weeks ago, I've been having a weird display issue.

Every time I finishing playing a game, upon exiting back to Windows my desktop is completely black. After some trial and error I've found that disconnecting the HDMI cable from my monitor for a couple of seconds and then plugging it back in results in the correct display.

I've done some Googling and it's been suggested that Windows may be showing me a "ghost display"; that is, a display that it thinks exists, but actually doesn't.

However, I don't believe that is my issue, as in advanced Display Settings, no second monitor is displayed, and one is not detected when I click "Detect". In addition, the Intel HD Graphics application does not show/detect any non-existent device.

It was also suggested that my D-Sub connector may be faulty and thinking that there is a second display when there is not, but connecting a second screen via that port and then playing/exiting a game results in the same issue.

I'm currently at a loss as to what the issue could be, so if anyone has any hints/tips as to what my next steps should be (or, of course, the answer), I'd be grateful for your assistance.

Thanks,
    David

:)

dgard, Nov 7, 2016

2. Black screen after exiting games

So i bought a tv from a friend today to replace my broken PC monitor. It works perfectly expect for one thing. Whenever i quit a game like csgo the screen goes black and doesnt go back until i restart the system. Any help guys? The tv is samsung 23 inch
    i dont know the model. and it worked fine on the old monitor.

PauliKarasti, Nov 7, 2016
  3. Black screen after exiting games

Hi Pauli,

To help you with your concern regarding black screen, you may refer to the
    Troubleshoot black screen problem
    information. Check this link out.

We appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Nov 7, 2016
  4. dwgregson Win User

I also have been plagued with the same problem. I've found that just resetting the display driver works for me. (Win key+Ctrl+Shift+B).
    Dave

dwgregson, Nov 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Black screen after exiting games - Similar Threads - Black screen exiting

2. BSOD after exiting a game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD after exiting a game: Hi everyone,I keep getting BSOD after exiting games. I ran a memtest and no error came out. BSOD as per below. I have updated my drivers to the latest but I'm not sure why they keep appearing.Here's the link to my minidump...
  3. BSOD after exiting a game

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after exiting a game: Hi everyone,I keep getting BSOD after exiting games. I ran a memtest and no error came out. BSOD as per below. I have updated my drivers to the latest but I'm not sure why they keep appearing.Here's the link to my minidump...
  4. BSOD after exiting a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Black screen after exiting games then recovers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after exiting games then recovers: Hi All, Started having the following issue yesterday, every time i would quit out of a game both of my monitors would go blank stay like it for a minute or so then recover I uninstalled my GPU drivers with DDU but issue was still on-going i have since reinstalled a fresh...
  6. Black screen after closing a game.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after closing a game.: I dont know if this is a common occurrence, but anytime I close my game I get a black screen momentarily where I cant do anything. After like 3 seconds the screen comes back on but im wondering if there is a problem or this is normal. I have windows 10 Home. Does anyone have...
  7. BSOD after exit game.

BSOD after exit game.: Hi, Recently I have BSOD (Critical Process Die) very often after exit/quit games and these only occurs with Rainbow Six, Escape From Tarkov and Black Desert Online. Please help me. Thank you very much Winver 1903 Here is my link to my log file :...
  8. Screen goes black after exiting windows recovery environment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Screen goes black after exiting windows recovery environment: I bought a laptop from someone and they weren't able to reinstall windows before selling. Whenever I finish selecting any of the options in the windows recovery environment the screen goes black and stays that way. Now instead of booting into windows it restarts saying it...
  9. Exiting Games Results in a Black Screen, forcing hard reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exiting Games Results in a Black Screen, forcing hard reset.: Hey guys, lately my windows 10 pro/i7 4770/16 GB DDR3/EVGA GTX 1070 has trouble exiting games. Not every game, but i just finished off FEAR (1, long time getting to it, my list of shame is extensive), and when i exited it all there was was a black screen. It happens to some...
  10. BSOD after exiting games

BSOD after exiting games: This very same BSOD is back again :/ Last time, it used to freeze everything and then crash. Now, after exiting a game, the screen turns black and flickers from being turned on to off. Then it greets me with a very nice BSOD, with either VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE or...