Windows 10: Black Screen after install, not detecting 2nd monitor, cannot use 1st

Discus and support Black Screen after install, not detecting 2nd monitor, cannot use 1st in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Evening, folks. I am having a pretty critical issue with my laptop after installing Win 10 for the first time. It seems like it is not detecting my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by yhposlihp, Sep 2, 2015.

1. yhposlihp Win User

Black Screen after install, not detecting 2nd monitor, cannot use 1st

Evening, folks.
    I am having a pretty critical issue with my laptop after installing Win 10 for the first time. It seems like it is not detecting my second HDMI monitor. I did see that this was an issue previously resolved, but my predicament is a bit different. I use my second monitor as the primary due to the laptop monitor not working. As it is, I have been sitting for close to an hour on a black screen due to my main monitor not being picked up and no way to visually walk through to make it my primary again... If that is even the only problem. Are there any ways I can switch to my main monitor (2nd monitor) worth no visual representation whatsoever? Hope I can get some assistance on the issue as this has rendered me computerless for the time being. *Sad
    (Typing from my phone, so excuse the awkwardness of my writing. *Smile )

:)

yhposlihp, Sep 2, 2015
  2. Erika Aro Win User

Windows 10 can't detect my second monitor

Thank you for confirming. We can do the following:

When the second monitor is not detected, we need to isolate if it's the monitor, the cable connecting them, or the port. We suggest that you remove your 1st monitor, then use the 2nd monitor as your 1st monitor. After that, connect the 1st monitor as the
    2nd monitor.

Usually, this it's driver-related. Windows 10 won't be able to detect the 2nd monitor if the monitor driver is out of date or faulty. We recommend, rolling back to the previous installed graphics driver and monitor driver if it updated. Otherwise, update your
    graphics and monitor drivers on the Device Manager. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Type Device Manager in the Cortana search bar and press Enter.
    • When the Device Manager window appears, click the Display adapters and right-click the item below.
    • Select Properties, then Driver tab, and click Roll Back Driver and follow the on-screen instructions.
    • Expand the Monitors, then right-click the second monitor and select Properties.
    • Click the Driver tab, and click Roll Back Driver and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue persists, update the drivers. You can manually update the driver by visiting the websites of your graphics card and monitor manufacturers to get the fully compatible drivers for Windows 10. You can run the Find
    and fix problems with devices and hardware
    to automatically check for driver updates. Additionally, we'd like to know the make and model of your graphics cards and monitor?

Post back anytime at your convenience.

Erika Aro, Sep 2, 2015
  3. windows 10 creators build loses desktop icon overlays on 2nd monitor

I have 2 monitors.

After upgrading to windows 10 creators build the icon overlay for shortcuts on my desktop are missing from the 2nd screen.

If I move a shortcut from the 1st monitor to the 2nd it still shows the overlay, after I press F5 it loses the overlay, moving it back to the 1st restores the overlay.

RichardFWarner, Sep 2, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

HI and welcome to the forum! *Smile

Ohh, that is an annoying issue...
    If this happened to me inside Windows, I would try the usual keyboard combinations, which should switch the output device. E.g. on my make and model it would be Fn + F5, I believe. It may be different for you though. Maybe the manual or a search on the internet will tell you, what this combination is for your PC.

Another idea might be to use a different monitor: Old and VGA should basically always work.

Another aspect is: For these shortcuts to work, your keyboard must have been detected properly. Most likely it has been, however, there are a few cases, where people had problems with this Fn stuff after the upgrade. Also I don't know, where exactly in the installation process you are... In the worst case, which I don't know whether it's the case or not, such Fn stuff maybe generally is not working there, even if the keyboard got detected correctly.

As a last resort, maybe it would be an idea to look at a YouTube video to find out, where in the install you have to hit which buttons and to use the keyboard to do that blindly?

Joergi, Sep 2, 2015
  5. yhposlihp Win User
    Thanks for the response!
    Sadly, none of the Function commands seem to issue a response. *Sad I also wish I knew where I was in the installation process. Finally up and got the courage to power the laptop down late last night. A friend of mine told me that this is a known issue with NVIDIA cards; that is, only being able to use one monitor at a time. Maybe trying different monitors will do the trick. I'm half tempted to crack the thing open and manually unplug the laptop monitor from the inside... Thankfully, I'm not that desperate. Yet. *Smile

yhposlihp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Black Screen after install, not detecting 2nd monitor, cannot use 1st - Similar Threads - Black Screen install

2. 2nd Monitor Not Detecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2nd Monitor Not Detecting: Hello I was messing around with display in order to try and configure my computer. I was unsuccessful. In the process of this my 2nd display decetion does not work. What does work are all the settings and the display itself. However, the detection is the sole thing does not...
  3. 2nd Monitor Not Detecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2nd Monitor Not Detecting: Hello I was messing around with display in order to try and configure my computer. I was unsuccessful. In the process of this my 2nd display decetion does not work. What does work are all the settings and the display itself. However, the detection is the sole thing does not...
  4. Not detecting 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not detecting 2nd monitor: My pc was working perfectly fine last night then I turned it on right now and only one monitor has came on. I've looked at all the display port cables and they're all fine. I'm on the latest windows update and I have the latest drivers for my graphics card. I am once again...
  5. Not detecting 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not detecting 2nd monitor: My pc was working perfectly fine last night then I turned it on right now and only one monitor has came on. I've looked at all the display port cables and they're all fine. I'm on the latest windows update and I have the latest drivers for my graphics card. I am once again...
  6. Not detecting 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. 2nd monitor not detecting

in Windows 10 Customization
    2nd monitor not detecting: My 2nd monitor isnt detecting, but when I put it on 1024x786 resolution the supposed reccomended it dupicates the display, and all my drivers are up to date. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2nd-monitor-not-detecting/18443477-4441-46c4-8ce0-cf09f836003f
  8. 2nd Monitor not detected although it mirrors the 1st

2nd Monitor not detected although it mirrors the 1st: Hello, I just purchased a new Dell Inspirion 7306 2n1 laptop and I have a UtechSmart USBType-C Hub Pro Product Model: UCN3270 docking station with two HP 27f monitors. When I plug the hub into the USB-C port on the laptop, windows recognizes the hub as only one monitor....
  9. 2nd monitor not detected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2nd monitor not detected: Hey guys, I'm having issues with windows 10 and a second monitor. I finally decided to try a dual monitor system for the first time ever and I can't seem to connect the second monitor. I've went to display settings but nothing is detected when I hit the detect button. I've...
  10. 2nd monitor not detected

2nd monitor not detected: Hi there This problem has probably been asked previously but I can only find older answers whicharen't relevant. I have recently purchased a new HP Pavillion laptop and a Samsung 27" curved monitor. Laptop using Windows10. All working perfectly. A change in job and...