Windows 10: Black Screen After Installing Update

Discus and support Black Screen After Installing Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After installing an update, there is nothing but a black screen. The black screen appears after the BIOS logo, Windows logo, and sign-in screen. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aaronth07, Aug 15, 2020.

1. aaronth07 Win User

Black Screen After Installing Update

After installing an update, there is nothing but a black screen. The black screen appears after the BIOS logo, Windows logo, and sign-in screen. The Ctrl-Alt-Del screen also does not come up when using the shortcut, nor does task manager, run, etc. I have had this issue twice, and the only way I have solved it was to uninstall the latest update.

I don't know if this is important or not, but when it first started, there were some power fluctuations (as in, turning on and off really quickly) where I live. Then this issue happened, and I managed to fix by uninstalling the latest update, but it wasn't the actual cause that time. Only this latest time, when I installed the update and got the issue, was it the "cause". I managed to fix it the same way, by uninstalling the latest update that had just been installed.

I also know that it isn't a hardware issue, since the hardware works just fine. Another thread I saw when I was researching this issue the first time suggested it might be a corrupted registry, could that be the issue?

Windows Version 1909 (Build 18363.959)

:)

aaronth07, Aug 15, 2020

2. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Aug 15, 2020
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Aug 15, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

black screen

Hi,

To assist you better regarding your concern, we would like to know more information:

• Did you get any error messages?
    • Have you tried updating the drivers?
    We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Sharath Srinivasa on this

link

You can also check the article about troubleshooting black screen problems on the link below.

windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope this information helps. Please post us back if you need any further assistance.

Remon Ont, Aug 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Black Screen After Installing Update - Similar Threads - Black Screen Installing

2. Black Screen Problem after installing update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen Problem after installing update: Split from this thread. I have noticed the same issue using Windows updates for 22h2. The update last for an hour or more and a black screen is present. Eventually the login screen appears but after authentication it says the update is still pending. If I restart, it goes...
  3. Black Screen Problem after installing update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen Problem after installing update: Split from this thread. I have noticed the same issue using Windows updates for 22h2. The update last for an hour or more and a black screen is present. Eventually the login screen appears but after authentication it says the update is still pending. If I restart, it goes...
  4. Black Screen after Install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen after Install: Good day. Here I am thinking I was clever to do a freah install of windows to get rid of junk. To start, here is my system:MSI B550M Mortar MoBoRyzen 5 5600X CPUGTX970 4gb GPU old faithfulKingston 512 m.22 x 8GB DDR4 2666 Ram only one currently installed in A2So, I did a...
  5. Black Screen after Install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen after Install: Good day. Here I am thinking I was clever to do a freah install of windows to get rid of junk. To start, here is my system:MSI B550M Mortar MoBoRyzen 5 5600X CPUGTX970 4gb GPU old faithfulKingston 512 m.22 x 8GB DDR4 2666 Ram only one currently installed in A2So, I did a...
  6. Black Screen after Install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Black screen after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after update: In 2019 laptop ran out of battery during an windows update. After rebooting with poweradapter plugged in, my laptop gave black screen. Was working perfectly fine before that.I've tried every possible sollution I could find online, for example:- rolling back the update- ctrl...
  8. Black Screen with cursor after update installing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen with cursor after update installing: I'm not asking for my self. My Windows 10 Laptop is working fine. I'm asking this question for my Friend. My friend recently update the windows 10 version. The Windows update stucked at 15% . I don't know what he exactly did. He Said, "I forcefully shut down the Laptop and...
  9. Black screen after installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after installation: So, this problem has arisen since the release of version 1703. My computer immediately after installing this update showed a black screen with no cursor and no ability to call any program. I tried to clean install with formatting the entire disk, did not help. I reread all...
  10. BLack screen after installing driver updates.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BLack screen after installing driver updates.: hello to begin with, I did not know I should not install driver updates. They were there so I assumed I was supposed to install them. There were nine. After it took three hours to install two and reject three I pressed stop. It said I would need to restart my notebook...