Windows 10: Black screen after installing Windows 10 - no login prompt, no cursor

Discus and support Black screen after installing Windows 10 - no login prompt, no cursor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I manually updated my Lenovo desktop (K450E, i7, 16GB Ram with NVIDIA GTX 970 card and 750 watt power supply) using the Media Creation tool. I set it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by antiscribe, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Black screen after installing Windows 10 - no login prompt, no cursor

I manually updated my Lenovo desktop (K450E, i7, 16GB Ram with NVIDIA GTX 970 card and 750 watt power supply) using the Media Creation tool. I set it to upload overnight but when I came back to it this morning, the screen didn't respond. I did a hard shutdown and came back to it an hour or so later, started it up, and completed the install. I shut it down again and came back to it a few hours ago and I have not been able to get it to relaunch on any of my HDTV screens (I use televisions, not monitors). It starts with the "Lenovo" screen but then my televisions see "signal not detected" or whatever variation they have of that saying and I'm left with nowhere to go. I get no login, no mouse cursor...it's as if it has completely stopped emitting a signal. I could see this happening with one of my screens, but I've tried three and I've had the same problem on each. I'm at a loss; there's obviously a number of troubleshooting tips I've seen here on the forums, but almost all of them involve being able to access the desktop, control panel, etc, and obviously I can't right now. I have a Lenovo Z50 that I updated last week and it's working great...so frustrating.

:)

antiscribe, Aug 2, 2015
  2. JasonS63 Win User

Black Screen after Windows 10 Creators Update

Hello,

I recently installed the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update on my HP laptop and now I have a black screen, with a cursor, after signing in. I have tried following the black screen troubleshooting tips for both pre- and post-login black screens, and they did
    not resolve the issue. This is the brunt of my issue, and any help would be appreciated. Below is a list of additional information about the update and what ive already tried to fix the issue.

-During the update: the screen said “This is taking a bit longer than usual” (took about 3 hours for the install) but the update finished and the computer did its final restart to the login screen.

-After logging in, the screen remains black with a moveable cursor.

Things I’ve tried

- Manual restart of computer

- restarting in Safe Mode - Screen is still black

- Screen Refresh (Win+Ctrl+Shift+X) - cursor moves to middle of screen but still black

- Running Startup Repair from the Blue Startup Meun - couldnt fix the computer

- System Restore - No previous restore data so I cancelled the restore

- System Image Recovery - No precious system image so I cancelled the recovery

- Command Prompt - comes up on the screen, but I didnt know which driver was the video card driver so I exited

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup**

JasonS63, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Black screen with only mouse cursor at startup after windows 10 installation.

Hi Larsen,

Did your PC ever reach the Windows login screen? Did it go black before or after login?

Regards,

Jack

Jack Buckley, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

Black screen after installing Windows 10 - no login prompt, no cursor

1. Black screen after installing Windows 10 - no login prompt, no cursor - Similar Threads - Black screen installing

2. Windows 10 black screen with cursor after login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 black screen with cursor after login: I have three accounts on my machine.1. Administrator2. Administrator3. UserI have the issue that when I try to login into the user account the screen stays black but I can see the cursor. Pressing Strg + Alt+ Entf works fine but after clicking on Task manager it goes back to...
  3. Windows 10 black screen with cursor after login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 black screen with cursor after login: I have three accounts on my machine.1. Administrator2. Administrator3. UserI have the issue that when I try to login into the user account the screen stays black but I can see the cursor. Pressing Strg + Alt+ Entf works fine but after clicking on Task manager it goes back to...
  4. Windows 10 black screen with cursor after login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 black screen with cursor after login

Windows 10 black screen with cursor after login: I've seen this question all over the place, and a multitude of answers which so far don't fix this issue for me. Although the scenario I'm having is slightly different. I've set up a new laptop for a domain user, installed applicable drivers, patches, windows updates, etc....
  6. Black screen with cursor after login Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen with cursor after login Windows 10: There are multiple related issues and I think I tried EACH and EVERY suggested solution so please read below before suggesting standard steps - I've done them already. My laptop boots normally but I see black screen after I log in to any Windows user account. SITUATION...
  7. Black screen with cursor after login?

Black screen with cursor after login?: So, I purchased a (nearly new) laptop from someone recently, and started it up to find that the taskbar didn't want to respond to my mouse. A website suggested I use the task manager to End Task the Windows Explorer and, like a Fool, I did. Now, the screen's black (though I...
  8. Windows 10 Black screen with cursor after login

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Black screen with cursor after login: Hello guys I seem to have a problem when it comes to windows. I have the black screen after login with only the cursor on display. When i try to open task manager with CTRL+ALT+DEL or CTRL+SHIFT+ESC it will open but only after a 15/20 minute wait once that is open i have...
  9. Black screen with cursor after install and first login

Black screen with cursor after install and first login: Just upgraded my bro-in-law's HP Pavilion desktop from 8.1 to 10. It's got an AMD processor, but I don't know which one exactly...probably one of the lower level ones. It was a refurb from Fry's, purchased a couple of months ago. It was running 8.1 just fine. The upgrade...
  10. Windows 10 Black screen after login with cursor

Windows 10 Black screen after login with cursor: I'm not too sure what to do. I can get into task manager but using explorer.exe doesn't do anything. Anyone know how to fix this? 11247