Black screen after installing Windows 10 - no login prompt, no cursor

Discus and support Black screen after installing Windows 10 - no login prompt, no cursor in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; I manually updated my Lenovo desktop (K450E, i7, 16GB Ram with NVIDIA GTX 970 card and 750 watt power supply) using the Media Creation tool. I set it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by antiscribe, Aug 2, 2015.

1. antiscribe Win User

I manually updated my Lenovo desktop (K450E, i7, 16GB Ram with NVIDIA GTX 970 card and 750 watt power supply) using the Media Creation tool. I set it to upload overnight but when I came back to it this morning, the screen didn't respond. I did a hard shutdown and came back to it an hour or so later, started it up, and completed the install. I shut it down again and came back to it a few hours ago and I have not been able to get it to relaunch on any of my HDTV screens (I use televisions, not monitors). It starts with the "Lenovo" screen but then my televisions see "signal not detected" or whatever variation they have of that saying and I'm left with nowhere to go. I get no login, no mouse cursor...it's as if it has completely stopped emitting a signal. I could see this happening with one of my screens, but I've tried three and I've had the same problem on each. I'm at a loss; there's obviously a number of troubleshooting tips I've seen here on the forums, but almost all of them involve being able to access the desktop, control panel, etc, and obviously I can't right now. I have a Lenovo Z50 that I updated last week and it's working great...so frustrating.

:)

antiscribe, Aug 2, 2015
  2. JasonS63 Win User

Black Screen after Windows 10 Creators Update

Hello,

I recently installed the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update on my HP laptop and now I have a black screen, with a cursor, after signing in. I have tried following the black screen troubleshooting tips for both pre- and post-login black screens, and they did
    not resolve the issue. This is the brunt of my issue, and any help would be appreciated. Below is a list of additional information about the update and what ive already tried to fix the issue.

-During the update: the screen said “This is taking a bit longer than usual” (took about 3 hours for the install) but the update finished and the computer did its final restart to the login screen.

-After logging in, the screen remains black with a moveable cursor.

Things I’ve tried

- Manual restart of computer

- restarting in Safe Mode - Screen is still black

- Screen Refresh (Win+Ctrl+Shift+X) - cursor moves to middle of screen but still black

- Running Startup Repair from the Blue Startup Meun - couldnt fix the computer

- System Restore - No previous restore data so I cancelled the restore

- System Image Recovery - No precious system image so I cancelled the recovery

- Command Prompt - comes up on the screen, but I didnt know which driver was the video card driver so I exited

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup**

JasonS63, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Jack Buckley Win User
    Black screen with only mouse cursor at startup after windows 10 installation.

Hi Larsen,

Did your PC ever reach the Windows login screen? Did it go black before or after login?

Regards,

Jack

Jack Buckley, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

Black screen after installing Windows 10 - no login prompt, no cursor

Black screen after installing Windows 10 - no login prompt, no cursor - Similar Threads - Black screen installing

1. Emergency!!! Screen is black aftrr installing theme.. Help!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Emergency!!! Screen is black aftrr installing theme.. Help!!: EMERGENCY!!!!! I installed a custom theme through an .exe file. And now everything is black except for the cursor!! I tried rebooting but i still get a black screen. What do I do??? Please help!!! 101556
  2. Install EVGA GTX 1050ti, black screen upon boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Install EVGA GTX 1050ti, black screen upon boot: I tried to install an EVGA GTX 1050 TI GPU today and when I booted the system after installation all I could get was a black screen. My system: - Dell Studio XPS 9100, CPU I7-930, 9GB Ram, 525W Power Supply - These are the steps I took to install: -- Flashed Bios (A04) --...
  3. Clean install, Black screen after driver graphics cards (Internal+PEG)

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install, Black screen after driver graphics cards (Internal+PEG): I decided to reinstall Win 10 Pro a few days ago to start up fresh again for the new year, it works fine on stock windows drivers but the moment I either manually install Nvidia or Intel Graphics Drivers. After 6 reformats and reinstalls, discussing it with multiple people I...
  4. Black Screen with Creators Update Installed and a Reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen with Creators Update Installed and a Reboot: Installed the Windows 10 Creators update for the 3rd time to completion each time. After the install, everything was running as expected. I was looking at a digital magazine within Zinio, and after completing several issues the program lockup and I needed to reboot. Zinio...
  5. Brand new computer build, windows 10 black screen before installation

in Windows 10 Support
    Brand new computer build, windows 10 black screen before installation: I just a built a brand new computer. CPU: Intel Celeron G3900 Motherboard: Asus z270-P Memory: 4Gb Graphics Card(s): MSI Radeon RX 570- Gaming I am using Mac OS and used a software called unetbootin to burn the windows 10 disk image on the usb (I don't own another...
  6. Black screen after windows 10 Logo (Installation/Bootable USB)

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen after windows 10 Logo (Installation/Bootable USB): So i was planning to reformat my old pc & install new os/clean install but when i tried to boot with the bootable usb drive, it just gives me blackscreen after the blue windows logo. Does anyone know how to fix it? I tried waiting for 20minutes but nothing happen at all, just...
  7. Black screen on Installation? (USB Bootable)

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen on Installation? (USB Bootable): I was planning to reformat my old pc so i downloaded windows 10 & created bootable USB. But when i tried to boot the usb drive, it just gives me blackscreen after the blue windows logo. Does anyone know how to fix it? I tried waiting for 20minutes but nothing happen at all,...
Black screen after installing Windows 10 - no login prompt, no cursor solved