Windows 10: Black screen after locking the device

Discus and support Black screen after locking the device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone,Yesterday I installed the most recent Windows updates on my device. I didn't really use the laptop because I installed them before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SimonSBT, Aug 12, 2021.

1. SimonSBT Win User

Black screen after locking the device

Hello everyone,Yesterday I installed the most recent Windows updates on my device. I didn't really use the laptop because I installed them before getting off of work and shut it down once finished.Since this morning, I have been facing a very troublesome issue. Whenever I lock the device with Win + L, the display stays on for a brief period of time, and then it goes black like usual. When I try to hit any key to unlock the device again, the screen stays black and there is nothing I can do apart from shutting it down forcibly from the power button.I have tried disabling hibernation and sleep

:)

SimonSBT, Aug 12, 2021

2. Black Lock screen BACKGROUND

Hi Bill,

Let us know the make and model of your computer.

Let us try few of the troubleshooting steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to set the lock screen background to picture and check if the issue persists.

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Step 3: Update the Display Adapter drivers.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right click on the Display Adapter and click on
      Update Driver Software
    • Restart the computer.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of accessing the lock screen background for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 12, 2021
  3. Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Aug 12, 2021
  4. Black screen after locking the device

Screen stays black after opening lid

Hi Linda,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the device with black screen once you wake up the system. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Are you able to boot the device to desktop with black screen from sleep mode?
    • From when are you facing this issue?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated display drivers on your computer.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Sharath Srinivasa
    on August 7, 2015 and check if it helps you to resolve the issue.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

If you are not able to boot the device to lock screen refer to: Blank or black screen before sign-in

If you are able to access/ boot the device to lock screen and then black screen issue occurs refer to:

Black screen after sign-in and you can see a mouse cursor

Try the troubleshooting steps mentioned accordingly.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue and with the required information for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 12, 2021
Thema:

Black screen after locking the device

1. Black screen after locking the device - Similar Threads - Black screen locking

2. Black screen instead of lock screen picture after screen timeout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen instead of lock screen picture after screen timeout: Hi!I've just installed Windows 11 on my new computer and run into problem. I set up lock screen into beautiful picture. If I use F9 to lock it, or Ctrl+Alt+Del -> Lock it shows me a picture and asks for a password, everything is fine. But when my mouse is inactive, after some...
  3. Black screen instead of lock screen picture after screen timeout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen instead of lock screen picture after screen timeout: Hi!I've just installed Windows 11 on my new computer and run into problem. I set up lock screen into beautiful picture. If I use F9 to lock it, or Ctrl+Alt+Del -> Lock it shows me a picture and asks for a password, everything is fine. But when my mouse is inactive, after some...
  4. Black screen after lock screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after lock screen: I have been running Windows 10 from the beginning. I have the latest update 1803 on my PC x64.I switch on my PC. I get the lock screen where I put in my pin number, it goes blue with "wait a minute" then goes black. I can get the task manager using ctrl-alt-delete. Sometimes...
  5. Black screen after lock screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen after lock screen: I have been running Windows 10 from the beginning. I have the latest update 1803 on my PC x64.I switch on my PC. I get the lock screen where I put in my pin number, it goes blue with "wait a minute" then goes black. I can get the task manager using ctrl-alt-delete. Sometimes...
  6. Black screen after lock screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Black screen after lock screen

Black screen after lock screen: I have been running Windows 10 from the beginning. I have the latest update 1909 on my PC x64. I switch on my PC. I get the lock screen where I put in my pin number, it goes blue with "wait a minute" then goes black. I can get the task manager using ctrl-alt-delete....
  8. Black screen after lock screen

Black screen after lock screen: Turn on computer and the lock screen appears random photos with trivia. Any mouse click brings up a black screen with the mouse pointer, nothing else displayed. The mouse pointer moves with the mouse, but the login screen never appears. Tried ctrl-alt-del and...
  9. Black screen after boot, no lock screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after boot, no lock screen: I just updated my pc from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I've been having some problems. Most of them were no big deal and a restart fixed them. However, now I can't loginto my pc. I just get a black screen. I tried safe mode, but I just got an error on the screen...
  10. Black screen after pressing buttons on lock screen

Black screen after pressing buttons on lock screen: So one day i opened my pc and i get greeted with my passcode i open it then it turns black. I turn off my pc and turned it on this time it was black with a cursor. I waited then it turned normal again and if i try to press anything it turns black. Help???...