Windows 10: Black screen after login AND does not show up on network; Can still re

Discus and support Black screen after login AND does not show up on network; Can still re in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been having problems where when I boot my desktop PC I have the following happening: The PC was up, I was logged in, and all seemed fine. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 56Kruiser, Dec 3, 2016.

1. 56Kruiser Win User

Black screen after login AND does not show up on network; Can still re

I've been having problems where when I boot my desktop PC I have the following happening:

• The PC was up, I was logged in, and all seemed fine.
    • It would not show up on the network to other computers
    • I could still get to the internet
    • I shut down
    • Boot up OK
    • Picture fine, and can bring up login screen
    • Login
    • Goes to black screen with cursor
    • I can Ctrl-alt-del and get the list of options
    • I can select task manger
    • It returns to black screen
    • Still cannot be seen on network
    • I CAN remote to it from another PC< but it presents a black screen also

I have fixed this by performing a restore point, but after a few days I 'm back to the same problem. I'm thinking it has to do with a recent patch being applied.

I've done a search on black screen, but there are so many...I haven't run across one that is similar. Most I'm finding are old...and it seems to me this is a recent update problem.

Any ideas?

[Update]
    The Task Manager does come up if wait long enough. Shows no apps running. Long list of processes running. I tried this:

• Press Windows CMD key
    • Typed in Device Manager (Hoping to go in and see if anything has !, or check video drivers
    Nothing happens

:)

56Kruiser, Dec 3, 2016

2. Windows 10 Insider Preview 14342 Lock Screen background is black.

When I switch on my laptop, the Lock Screen background picture(which I've set on Windows Spotlight) shows only a default picture each time. Which also shows up on the login screen

Now when I lock the laptop the Lock Screen background is completely black, though the windows spotlight image does show up on the login screen. ****? How may I repair this on my side or is there gonna be an update?

Edit: After much research I've come to know that the lock screen on boot up is called the system lock screen, and the login screen after that is the system login screen. The screen that is black is the USER lock screen. Cortana, the clock and everything
    else appears fine on the black screen.

Saurabh Wanivadekar, Dec 3, 2016
  3. John237 Win User
    Lockscreen will not show Windows spotlight pictures

Switching to a picture does nothing on the lockscreen, login screen does show the image. If I change to a slideshow it does show the images, then the login screen shows the image in the preview in settings. Switching back to Spotlight leaves me with
    a black lockscreen with the text again...really don't want a slideshow

John237, Dec 3, 2016
  4. 56Kruiser Win User

Re: Network access
    If I type \\comnputer name\share name, I can access the computer. But, again, it does not show up in the network list.

Re: Black screen

I booted up into safe mode with networking. But networking is not working from there...cannot access network.

One thing I found: my network card is pretty old, and there are no drivers on AMD site. The latest there are dated 2013. Turns out the driver that is on my PC was written to support Windows 10 for the card, but only available via Windows Update. So that driver has been working. It is version 8.970.100.9001 dated 1/13/2015.

I really don't know if that driver is no longer valid or not.

56Kruiser, Dec 3, 2016
  5. 56Kruiser Win User
    Well, I tried an F8 boot, and tried system repair. Tried the same restore point that I used last time (I have only 2...I need to check my settings for othat). One fails, the goes through, but now it never presents a login screen.

I thought that when I restored a restore point that it made a new one of the current setup, but seems it did not do that.

I may be really hosed now.

I am running the repair options . IT says attempting repairs. I may have to leave it for the night. Getting late. I'll update if I have any success logging in.

At any rate, I suspect the black screen problem will return. I am about to decide I need to invest in a new video card. Just hate to do that if that's not the issue. This black screen thing seems to be pretty prevalent in Windows 10.

56Kruiser, Dec 4, 2016
  6. malik Win User
    Right-click on your desktop, select View -> Show desktop icons.

malik, Dec 4, 2016
  7. 56Kruiser Win User
    Interesting thought. I'm not sure if I right clicked or not. When the black screen comes back, I'll try that.
    After my last post last night, where it wouldn't present the login screen (the black screen came up after login)...with no login screen presenting...I went to bed and left it. This morning, the login screen would present. I guess it was doing something in the backgroundm, and with the time overnight, it finished. I now can login and no black screen. I do expect it to return though.

Also, the PC is now showing up when I select Network in explorer.

I'll keep an eye on this thread...and if the black screen comes back, I'll update here with results of the right-click / show icons.

56Kruiser, Dec 4, 2016
  8. 56Kruiser Win User

My black screen is back. I tried right-click per the suggestion. Nothing shows up from which to choose anything. Unusable PC when this happens.

Windows 10 is becoming a PITA. I have two issues that seem unable to resolve. This one, and on my Laptop, it constantly changes my settings for auto hide the task bar. I want it on all the time, but it keeps changing it to hide.

Any other suggestions on the Black Screen thing? Do you reckon I need a newer video adapter? I currently have an AMD Radeon HD 3650.

56Kruiser, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Black screen after login AND does not show up on network; Can still re - Similar Threads - Black screen login

2. Black Screen After Login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen After Login: Ok So When I Turn On My Computer I See A Completely Black Screen Except For Microsoft Edge Open On A New Tab I've Also Tried The Following:Opening The Advanced Startup Screen ~10 Times [It Just Appears As A Black Screen]Opening Control Panel [Doesn't Open]Alt-F4 [Doesn't...
  3. Black screen after login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after login: Since the last Windows update, installed this afternoon, I cannot use my laptop because when I connect, the screen is completely black and I cannot access anything, not even the control panel. How should I proceed in this case, I don't want to lose my files, any help is...
  4. Black screen after login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen after login: Since the last Windows update, installed this afternoon, I cannot use my laptop because when I connect, the screen is completely black and I cannot access anything, not even the control panel. How should I proceed in this case, I don't want to lose my files, any help is...
  5. black screen after login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    black screen after login: so i literally just restarted my laptop and after signing in its giving me a black screen with my cursori tried editing the shell so that it was set to explorer.exe but it was already set to thati tried restarting explorer.exe through task manager and it wasnt there at alli...
  6. Black Screen After Login

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen After Login: Every time I log on to my laptop I get stuck on a black screen with the cursor. I can get task manager up by using ctrl + alt + delete. I don't seem to have the problem when in safe mode. I have tried restarting windows explorer and running it from task manager but neither...
  7. Black Screen After Login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black Screen After Login: i’m sure everyone’s heard this story about 10 times over, but every time i’ve logged in today it logs in to a black screen with a moveable cursor i’ve tried - fn+f8 (didn’t work) - windows key+ctrl+shift (didn’t work) - ctrl+alt+delete (worked but won’t open task manager) -...
  8. After boot up black screen show

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After boot up black screen show: Hello Recently i uninstall avast antivirus from my leptop, After uninstalling process complete the next time i turn on my leptop i notice the blank black screen show for few second after show hp logo for this reason my leptop take long time to boot up i want know...
  9. Windows 10 hanging, showing black screen after login on Start-up

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 hanging, showing black screen after login on Start-up: Hi, Please can anyone help, not long purchased a new HP laptop with Windows 10 Home Edition pre-installed. Going well until recently has started to hang, on the e-mail log-in and password page - got another Outlook user to try too; basically the same. I, get the black...
  10. Black screen AFTER login, no task manager showing up!

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen AFTER login, no task manager showing up!: I keep finding solutions for the issue with a black screen before login or after login and to use the task manager, but my problem is a little different. I can log in using my pin, and press ctrl+alt+dlt to get the option to bring up the task manager. However, when i click...