Windows 10: Black screen after login. I think due to windows update? (Partially solved) But now I have...

Discus and support Black screen after login. I think due to windows update? (Partially solved) But now I have... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Ok so i had come back to my computer one day and it was sitting at a black screen with nothing but my mouse pointer. I restarted the computer and got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Pastafarian56, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Black screen after login. I think due to windows update? (Partially solved) But now I have...

Ok so i had come back to my computer one day and it was sitting at a black screen with nothing but my mouse pointer. I restarted the computer and got the same issue after i logged in. Didnt show the desktop at all just a black screen. Did hours of research and tried multiple walkthroughs on how to fix it and i think i narrowed it down to a windows update that had happened that same day. I tried to delete the update and reinstall it but it didnt work.

I am running Windows 10 on an intel i7-4790 @ 3.6 ghz i have an nvidia gtx 1080. I have had Mcafee since i bought my setup back in like 2014. I havent had an issue like this the entire time.

I read something about it might be my anti virus acting up. So i ran the startup settings and disabled the early launch anti malware protection. This let me into my desktop with no black screen. Everything loaded right up like it should. So i uninstalled mcafee and restarted. Worked like a charm. I tried reinstalling it and it gave me the same issue. I would like to continue to use mcafee because i paid for my subscription and i still have a few months left of that service.

So i am currently without anti virus and am afraid to even go on reddit. Please help.

:)

Pastafarian56, Jan 3, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

black screen

Hi Bart,

It is possible that you're experiencing black screen due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • What happen when you tried to login?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot black screen errors. You can choose which situation you're experiencing the error and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jan 3, 2019
  3. Windows 10 - black screen with cursor after login

Hi WB,

I had a similar Black Screen problem I documented on this site and solved my problem.

The following may not help you but it fixed my problem.

MS responses in this forum are formulaic based upon keywords IMHO.

Try this:

• Login to Windows 10 and if you have a Black Screen, wait about 15 minutes (to be sure) before you get bored and decide to reboot. I've had the experience that after a MS software update that when the computer reboots, it sits there with a Black screen
      for a while. I've seen this a few times and if I walked away and come back 30-60 minutes later, it often is working.
    • Alternatively, (I've seen this several times), at the Black Screen: turn off your monitor and after a few seconds turn it back on. My display card ( an Nvidia variant I think ) sometimes has trouble upon boot. When I cycle the monitor off/on, the display
      comes up and works.
    • The following solution to a Black Screen problem was discovered after I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 8.1 (2 weeks later). MS had pushed some update which conflicted with a Startup program and then the startup list was aborted and the S/W was left in an
      unstable state. Try this:
      • After login and encountering Black Screen, try CTRL-ALT-DEL. This should bring up a menu (if windows is partially running and you don't have a display driver issue). If you get the menu, select Task Manager. This brought up a single white window in the
        middle of my black screen. Expand the window by dragging the corner and you should see the task list. If you do, proceed to the next step. Otherwise, bail out. This solution will not work for you.
      • Task Manager has now integrated the capabilities of the old msconfg.exe (if you remember that). Go to the Start Up tab and you should see a list of programs that will execute upon login. Most are enabled. Some may be disabled. Try disabling non-MS startup
        programs. Save and restart.
      • There is an element of educated guesswork here but for me this solved my problem and upon the next boot, I was able to see the desktop and navigate the menus.
      • If this works, your next task is to go back to Task Manager, Startup, and re-enable the entries you disabled one by one and reboot until you discover the offending program.
    I did not need to re-install Windows or re-install device drivers as seems to be the popular suggestions.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

SteveHirsch_Moorpark, Jan 3, 2019
  4. Black screen after login. I think due to windows update? (Partially solved) But now I have...

Windows 7 black screen of death

I read a report a little while ago that said the black screens were nothing to do with updates but due to a malicious program (it hit more than just windows 7 users - vista, xp and 2000 were also prone to the black startup screen of death if infected). My windows 7 install is fully up-to-date and i've never had the black startup screen.

Just run some decent anti virus and you should be safe (i suggest microsoft security essentails since it's free and pretty decent). When you've installed an anti-virus i'd suggest doing a full scen to be sure there's nothing there.

human_error, Jan 3, 2019
Thema:

Black screen after login. I think due to windows update? (Partially solved) But now I have...

1. Black screen after login. I think due to windows update? (Partially solved) But now I have... - Similar Threads - Black screen login

2. Black Screen after Windows Login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen after Windows Login: Hi, I suddenly started to get a black screen no cursor after logging into Windows. A couple of times when the problem started, I was able to see my desktop after logging in maybe 25% of the time but now the issue is happening every time. Weirdly enough, I don't see my BIOS...
  3. Windows black screen after login

Windows black screen after login: So basically, I shut down my pc to go do something else and when I came back and turned on my pc, after logging into my account, I was presented with a black screen with a cursor. I tried restarting windows explorer via task manager, restarting the pc, using Windows logo key...
  4. Having black screen after login

Having black screen after login: my HP LAPTOP With window 10 is facing issue that there is black screen after login. I can use the apps by task manager . And i have tried everything as per window troubleshoot answers....
  5. I have a black screen after sign on

in Windows 10 Customization
    I have a black screen after sign on: Hi there, I am able to sign on to my system; however after sign on I get a black screen. I can get to task manager, I can not run explorer.exe nor any other of the suggestions form the Task Manager run Manager. I can not see anything in safe mode so 'clicking' start and...
  6. Windows wont update, tried fixing and now i have a black screen on startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows wont update, tried fixing and now i have a black screen on startup: oh my god i am so far beyond losing my patience. I wanted to reset my windows, so i tried to, through the built in reset option in settings. I waited 20 hours, and saw my computer was asleep. It booted up and gave me the message “an error occurred while resetting your pc- no...
  7. Screens now black after update

Screens now black after update: I had a techie update my 10 system to the latest (1903) but now most of my screens are black, particularly my desktop. Are there new commands in this build or something? I'm assuming it is to do with high contrast but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Before the update I...
  8. Was having a good day then i updated windows 10 and get blacked after login

in Windows 10 Customization
    Was having a good day then i updated windows 10 and get blacked after login: just wanted to say i think my computer is fucked. I tried every trouble shoot. Nothing worked. Currently in system restore but fuck. That shits gonna update again any away so im fucked i hate windows 10 and everything about computers. Thanks alot for ruining my 900$ computer...
  9. After a reset due to update breaking computer and then 1709 updating I now have two...

After a reset due to update breaking computer and then 1709 updating I now have two...: After an update wrecked my laptop like usual. Then reseting the computer, on the initial startup there was an administrator account on the login page along with my usual account, the admin account goes straight into the incorrect password or user name was used error, which I...
  10. (SOLVED) Black Screen After Graphics Driver Update

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    (SOLVED) Black Screen After Graphics Driver Update: Greetings, everyone. I've been experiencing framerate problems with my PC so I decided to downgrade by graphics drivers(Nvidia) to 359.06, while installing my monitor suddenly bluescreened. I'm not talking about a BSOD by the way, my system is hooked up to a TV and my TV...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black screen due to windows update

2. i had a windows update and now i have a black screne