Windows 10: Black screen after restart

Discus and support Black screen after restart in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My computer was recently updated a few days ago. It was working as it would until yesterday. It powers on but a black screen appears and the keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by kalewantslunch, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Black screen after restart

My computer was recently updated a few days ago. It was working as it would until yesterday. It powers on but a black screen appears and the keyboard is frozen. The only key working is the power button. I have tried many things with no success. Any help is much appreciated.

:)

kalewantslunch, Mar 31, 2020
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Mar 31, 2020
  3. Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Mar 31, 2020
  4. Black screen after restart

Computer randomly has black screen and restarts

Taco this could be software also. Before you get all crazy, do as Erocker suggested. Find out the error in the Event Viewer. Look for the faulting module and the error code itself. Also check the reliability monitor. At the bottom it will have "View all Error Reports". Post a screen of whats in there if anything.

This could be a simple as a bad driver install.

ALSO have you downloaded or installed anything lately? STAY OUT OF THE DAMN BIOS UNTIL WE KNOW THE ERROR! lol. I know you. Baby steps boy, baby steps.

TheMailMan78, Mar 31, 2020
Thema:

Black screen after restart

1. Black screen after restart - Similar Threads - Black screen restart

2. Black screen after restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after restart: When I was resetting the laptop after the reset was completed then at installation there was a request to restart the laptop and there's one issue earlier with the laptop that once it goes for power off while restarting it does not starts on its own is just shows black screen...
  3. Black screen after restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after restart: When I was resetting the laptop after the reset was completed then at installation there was a request to restart the laptop and there's one issue earlier with the laptop that once it goes for power off while restarting it does not starts on its own is just shows black screen...
  4. Black screen after restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Black screen after chkdsk restart.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen after chkdsk restart.: So I run >chkdsk /f /r /x on my computer a new one because I got a blue screen before and searched online for a solution. It said that somthing is running and asked me if I want to run the command on restart. I said yes and restarted the computer. After that it started...
  6. Black screen after restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after restart: Every time i try to Restart my laptop i get a black screen, but if i turn it off and then wait like 3 minutes it turns on fine. The problem is that i tried to do a factory reset to my computer but it has to restart to apply it but it gets stuck in the black screen. Does...
  7. Black Screen after Restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black Screen after Restart: I recently reformatted windows 10 on my dell latitude 5590. Everything went smoothly, got all drivers updated and softwares reinstalled. Ever since I've had ONE issue only that I have never experienced before. I've researched and tried just about everything for almost 2...
  8. Black screen after restarting explorer.exe

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black screen after restarting explorer.exe: This issue has also happened after startup. My computer screen is black, but I can use my cursor and the start menu. I can open apps, but I can’t see them or the taskbar for that matter or interact with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
  9. Black screen with cursor after restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen with cursor after restart: This is a new pc build, so no previous windows install that I can roll back too. After restart, it'll bring me to a black screen and if I move my mouse to my right, my cursor will appear. Any ideas how I can fix this? A post I read from 4 years ago says that Windows is...
  10. Black screen after RESTART.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen after RESTART.: Hello, I have made a complete, fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on HP 6300 Microtower. During the installation process, Windows 10 restarted and... I saw black screen for quite a long time. So I held POWER button for 5 seconds, PC turned off... Turned it on again...