Windows 10: Black Screen after Restart

Discus and support Black Screen after Restart in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently reformatted windows 10 on my dell latitude 5590. Everything went smoothly, got all drivers updated and softwares reinstalled. Ever since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ASmith81, Aug 9, 2020.

1. ASmith81 Win User

Black Screen after Restart

I recently reformatted windows 10 on my dell latitude 5590. Everything went smoothly, got all drivers updated and softwares reinstalled. Ever since I've had ONE issue only that I have never experienced before. I've researched and tried just about everything for almost 2 months now to no avail. I have the laptop connected to a Dell Universal Dock D6000 USB-C for power and monitors, which I've used for about 4 years now, with 2 Dell P2314H Monitors connected via HDMI. This setup has always worked fine until now. The issue is when I reboot the laptop through the Windows start menu or even through a prompt such as after an update, with the laptop lid closed and displaying to monitors, the monitor screens stay in a sleep mode and when I open the laptop the screen remains black after rebooting, no mouse cursor, and no other way to get things up and running. The keyboard and power lights will come back on, but no power goes to the dock or accessories plugged in to it and the laptop screen just stays black. I have to manually power down with the power button, then power back on and things resume working. When I reboot with the laptop open, everything comes back on just fine. I've tried all the tricks I could find with power configs, device manager settings, even removed the battery and did the power drain. I'm stumped and had enough of this. Thanks for any help

:)

ASmith81, Aug 9, 2020
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Aug 9, 2020
  3. Black Screen after restarting computer (after installing intel HD 3000 graphics using teamviewer)

Hi Evan,

I realize that you get a black screen after restarting computer. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• What is the make and model of the PC?

• Does the issue reoccur if you remove the Intel HD 3000 graphics card?

Suggest you to follow all the steps from this article to check if that helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Aug 9, 2020
  4. zplugger Win User

Black Screen after Log on

Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on what my next step should be?*Sad

zplugger, Aug 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Black Screen after Restart - Similar Threads - Black Screen Restart

2. Black screen after restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after restart: When I was resetting the laptop after the reset was completed then at installation there was a request to restart the laptop and there's one issue earlier with the laptop that once it goes for power off while restarting it does not starts on its own is just shows black screen...
  3. Black screen after restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after restart: When I was resetting the laptop after the reset was completed then at installation there was a request to restart the laptop and there's one issue earlier with the laptop that once it goes for power off while restarting it does not starts on its own is just shows black screen...
  4. Black screen after restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Black screen after chkdsk restart.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen after chkdsk restart.: So I run >chkdsk /f /r /x on my computer a new one because I got a blue screen before and searched online for a solution. It said that somthing is running and asked me if I want to run the command on restart. I said yes and restarted the computer. After that it started...
  6. Black screen after restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after restart: Every time i try to Restart my laptop i get a black screen, but if i turn it off and then wait like 3 minutes it turns on fine. The problem is that i tried to do a factory reset to my computer but it has to restart to apply it but it gets stuck in the black screen. Does...
  7. Black screen after restarting explorer.exe

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black screen after restarting explorer.exe: This issue has also happened after startup. My computer screen is black, but I can use my cursor and the start menu. I can open apps, but I can’t see them or the taskbar for that matter or interact with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
  8. Black screen after restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen after restart: My computer was recently updated a few days ago. It was working as it would until yesterday. It powers on but a black screen appears and the keyboard is frozen. The only key working is the power button. I have tried many things with no success. Any help is much appreciated....
  9. Black screen with cursor after restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen with cursor after restart: This is a new pc build, so no previous windows install that I can roll back too. After restart, it'll bring me to a black screen and if I move my mouse to my right, my cursor will appear. Any ideas how I can fix this? A post I read from 4 years ago says that Windows is...
  10. Black screen after RESTART.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen after RESTART.: Hello, I have made a complete, fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on HP 6300 Microtower. During the installation process, Windows 10 restarted and... I saw black screen for quite a long time. So I held POWER button for 5 seconds, PC turned off... Turned it on again...