Windows 10: Black screen after signing into user account

Discus and support Black screen after signing into user account in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; After updating my windows today, I can no longer see my desktop. After I sign into my user account the screen is completely black, except for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Mdarkx, Jun 27, 2020.

1. /u/Mdarkx Win User

Black screen after signing into user account

After updating my windows today, I can no longer see my desktop.

After I sign into my user account the screen is completely black, except for the cursor. I can open task manager just fine.

I tried creating a new admin user, but the issue is the same. What’s going on and what do I do?

submitted by /u/Mdarkx
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Mdarkx, Jun 27, 2020
  2. Explorer9 Win User

force default user account to always be selected on sign-in screen

A PC has Windows 10 (version 1703, build 15063.726) installed on it. A person named Robert has a user account on it, named Robert. A person named Jennifer has a user account on it, named Jennifer. The user accounts Robert and Jennifer are "Standard" type accounts. There is a third user account, named Adm, and it's type is "Administrator".

The PC specs are: laptop, brand Asus, model X550CA, cpu Intel Celeron 1007U 1.50GHz, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 500 GB HDD 5200 RPM, 120 GB SSD.

Windows 10 default behavior, case 1 - the Robert and Jennifer user accounts are both password protected

1. Jennifer turns PC on.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Robert is shown.
    3. At the sign-in screen, Jennifer clicks on the account Jennifer in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types her password and presses Enter.
    4. Jennifer clicks on the "Start" button on the taskbar, clicks on the "Power" button, then clicks "Shut down".
    5. Robert turns PC on.
    6. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Jennifer is shown.
    7. Robert clicks on the account Robert in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types his password and presses Enter.

Windows 10 default behavior, case 2 - the Robert user account is password protected, the Jennifer user account is not password protected

1. Jennifer turns PC on.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Robert is shown.
    3. At the sign-in screen, Jennifer clicks on the account Jennifer in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then clicks on the "Sign-in" button.
    4. Jennifer clicks on the "Start" button on the taskbar, clicks on the "Power" button, then clicks on "Shut down".
    5. Robert turns PC on.
    6. Windows 10 signs in automatically into the Jennifer user account.
    7. Robert clicks on the "Start" button, clicks on the "Jennifer" button, then clicks on "Sign out".
    8. At the sign-in screen, the button "Sign in" for the user account Jennifer is shown.
    9. Robert clicks on the account Robert in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types his password and presses Enter.

Question 1

Is it possible for Robert to change Windows 10's default behavior, to the behavior described below?

1. Robert or Jennifer turns on the PC.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the Robert user account is shown, even if Jennifer was the last person to sign-in and then click on "Shut down" from the "Start" menu.

Question 2

If the answer to question 1 is yes, then what settings does Robert have to make, in order to get the behavior described at question 1?

Changing "dontdisplaylastusername" is not the solution

By changing the "dontdisplaylastusername" registry DWORD from 0 to 1, Robert doesn't get the behavior described at question 1. After setting "dontdisplaylastusername" to 1, Robert has to type both his user account name, and his password, at the sign-in screen. Robert wants to type only his password, at the sign-in screen, and nothing else.

Why does Robert want to change the default behavior

The reasons Robert would like to change to the behavior described at question 1:
    • he is the owner of the PC;
    • he uses his PC frequently, Jennifer uses his PC rarely, therefore it makes sense that Robert should have one less click to do in order to sign in;
    • he doesn't want to click on something in order to get at his password field, he wants to press the power button on the PC and then type his password (doesn't want unnecessary intermediate steps between pressing the power button and typing his password).

Explorer9, Jun 27, 2020
  3. Black Screen After log in on Admin account

Hi Celrose,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand that you are facing black screen issues in Microsoft account(Admin account) and unable to open Settings app on other user account. Correct me if I am wrong.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What exactly do you mean by: "here is an advanced system care widget on the upper right hand corner though"?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?
    • Are you referring to built-in administrator account on your device?

For the issues with Back screen errors on admin account, I suggest you to
    refer to the below post replied by Sharath Srinivasa on August 7, 2015, perform the troubleshooting steps mentioned and check if it helps.

Black screen after upgrading
    to Windows 10

Section: Black screen
    after sign-inand you can see a mouse cursor

For the issues with accessing Settings app on your account:

Let us know what exactly happens when you try to access Settings app?

I suggest you to run SFC scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a
    Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 27, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Black screen after logging in to a new administrator account

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are receiving a blank screen after login to new administrator. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• What happens when you sign in to the old user account?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 are you using currently? To check type:
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the section I see a black or blank screen after signing in to Windows 10
    from the article
    Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Black screen after signing into user account - Similar Threads - Black screen signing

2. Black screen after signing in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after signing in: I found some things online to possibly fix the problem but I can't try them yet so I'm wondering if I can get confirmed help from people who have had this problem before because this has never happened to me. Picture Thanks submitted by /u/SnooMacarons6339 [link]...
  3. Black screen for a new user account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen for a new user account: Hi everyone, I'm an "administrator" for our laboratory computers. I decided to create a new account on one of the computers, called pc01. When I log in to this account, I get only a black screen with cursor working. I am able to bring up cmd, PowerShell etc, but I can see...
  4. Black Screen after sign in again

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Black Screen after sign in again: So this has happened to me before and I made a post about it. Today it happened again but this case is different. So after entering my password it a blue screen appears saying "Please Wait" and then the screen goes black. What's different today is that, I can access the task...
  5. Black screen after signing in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen after signing in: I was trying to sign in to windows after an update but after 10 seconds it just gives me a black screen. I've tried refreshing the screen, I cant open task manager even after doing ctrl + alt + del, and I've tries launching in safe mode but it just makes my sign-in screen...
  6. multiple user accounts on sign in screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    multiple user accounts on sign in screen: I just purchased a refurbished Dell 5050 with Windows 10 Pro. It shows 3 accounts on sign in screen even though only one account shows in Local Users & Groups (which is the correct one I set up after Windows started). 2 of the accounts have the same correct name and 1 has the...
  7. Black screen // User account issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen // User account issues: Hello everyone! Im having an issue where if I log into my main user account I get a black screen with a mouse in it. In this black screen I can access task manager and cmd. If I try to log in into my other user account I can get in with no trouble at all. Any ideas on how to...
  8. User Account still there, but black screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account still there, but black screen: Hi, Sorry if this has been answered before, but I can only find non-working solutions for a similar problem after a Win10 install, which is not my situation. So, I have Win10 installed for 2 months, upgrading from Win7, no issues. Last week all of a sudden (I suspect...
  9. screen turns black after signing in

in Windows 10 Support
    screen turns black after signing in: im having problems with my laptop. i just have installed windows 10. after signing in, few minutes later the screen suddenly turns black and restart again. what should i do to fix it? 91946
  10. Black Screen after signing in

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen after signing in: My laptop recently undergone an update and it did not finish completely. During the update, my screen turned black and there was a box which says "Personalized Settings". I decided to turn off my computer and when i signed back in, it brought me to a black screen (with...