Windows 10: Black screen after switching accounts

Discus and support Black screen after switching accounts in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; win key/L....select account..enter pw....get black screen with cursor. ctrl/alt/delete does nothing and suggestions i've tried do nothing. very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Chad68, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Chad68 Win User

Black screen after switching accounts

win key/L....select account..enter pw....get black screen with cursor.
    ctrl/alt/delete does nothing and suggestions i've tried do nothing.
    very annoying

:)

Chad68, Sep 14, 2015

2. Strange startup bug after updating to latest update yesterday (16-1) in Windows 10

I created a new local user account,

logged in and out from it and switched to my original account and back.

In both cases I saw a correct desktop with icons.

After a cold boot and a restart the problem appeared again,

skipping the entire Login screen and logging into an empty desktop automatically, so I could not choose a user at all.

After a reboot the login screen appeared and I could actually choose the new user account and login with it.

This worked. I switched to my new account and signed out and tried a reboot.

This caused a black screen and no desktop at all after reboot.

So i hear the windows login sound but I don't see anything, just black screen.

I had to use a hard reset to reboot after that and the new problem (completely black screen) still persisted.

After my second hard reset I saw a windows logo that said just wait...

and then it asked for my keyboard layout which i could not set,

after hard rebooting from that screen I was able to log in again and I used my old account and luckily it worked again....

hope this description helps a bit...

Tom

TomBenjamins, Sep 14, 2015
  3. dnns---01 Win User
    E5 waking up

The screen automatically goes black after some time. So when I lock the keypad from standby, the screen goes black after some time but after 5 seconds it pops up again. Is this normal? And is there a way to switch the screen off with a button?

dnns---01, Sep 14, 2015
  4. DaiB Win User

I have exactly the same problem on one of around 35 windows 10 upgraded PCs when I switch user. A few of the PCs have a black screen for a few seconds but this one stays black forever and needs a re-boot. If I log-out of an account I then get the login screen and all is OK

Thema:

1. Black screen after switching accounts - Similar Threads - Black screen switching

2. Black screen after switching apps from fullscreen to windowed screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after switching apps from fullscreen to windowed screen: Recently I started seeing black screen when switching apps from full-screen to windowed mode. I discovered that the only way to remove the black screen is to use ctrl alt delete and then pick any of the options there, even cancel, but that's only works once per black screen....
  3. Black screen after switching apps from fullscreen to windowed screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen after switching apps from fullscreen to windowed screen: Recently I started seeing black screen when switching apps from full-screen to windowed mode. I discovered that the only way to remove the black screen is to use ctrl alt delete and then pick any of the options there, even cancel, but that's only works once per black screen....
  4. Black screen when switching from a local account to a microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen when switching from a local account to a microsoft account: Hi, hope you can assist.Under settings > Accounts > Your InfoI am wanting to "Sign in with a Microsoft account".My account is Local.When I click on "Sign in with a Microsoft account" I get a blank black window.Windows 10.Hope you can assist.Julie...
  5. Black screen when switching from a local account to a microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen when switching from a local account to a microsoft account: Hi, hope you can assist.Under settings > Accounts > You InfoI am wanting to "Sign in with a Microsoft account".My account is Local.When I click on "Sign in with a Microsoft account" I get a blank black window.Hope you can assist.Julie...
  6. Black screen when switching from a local account to a microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black screen when switching from a local account to a microsoft account: Hi, hope you can assist.Under settings > Accounts > You InfoI am wanting to "Sign in with a Microsoft account".My account is Local.When I click on "Sign in with a Microsoft account" I get a blank black window.Hope you can assist.Julie...
  7. black screen with cursor after switching user

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    black screen with cursor after switching user: When I try to switch to my signed in user account, I get a black screen with a cursor. I am unable to bring up task manager and have to hard reset. This has been happening since the last update. Windows 10 Pro...
  8. Black screen after signing into user account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after signing into user account: After updating my windows today, I can no longer see my desktop. After I sign into my user account the screen is completely black, except for the cursor. I can open task manager just fine. I tried creating a new admin user, but the issue is the same. What’s going on and...
  9. Black screen right after switching my laptop on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen right after switching my laptop on: Hi guys I have a lenovo G570. Yesterday, I tried turning on my laptop. Win 10 booted, and then hanged right at the login screen. The cursor wasn't moving and it was like that for a few minutes. Eventually I got fed up and pulled out the battery (a big mistake). Then the...
  10. Black desktop with no icons after switching accounts

in Windows 10 Support
    Black desktop with no icons after switching accounts: Rarely, after I log into my own account after my father uses this computer, I get a black screen with nothing other than the mouse cursor. I have no way out other than to cold boot (which usually fixes the problem, but sometimes it doesn't and that's when CHKDSK comes up)....