Windows 10: Black screen after update

Discus and support Black screen after update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey there, hoping to get some help with this ASAP. Late last night I installed a large windows update, and after getting back onto the computer I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LoganMonk, Sep 15, 2020 at 11:57 PM.

1. LoganMonk Win User

Black screen after update

Hey there, hoping to get some help with this ASAP.

Late last night I installed a large windows update, and after getting back onto the computer I noticed that my wallpaper had been set to plain black instead of my custom image and my profile picture was this very odd low resolution image I normally use the windows 10 default image, and have never touched this.

I fixed the wallpaper last night before bed, and tonight I fixed the profile picture. However, when I tried logging off and on again to see it all went properly, the screen after logging in was just black except my cursor which had a constantly disappearing loading circle. I was able to control alt delete into logging off and shutting my computer down, but when I tried again, same result. I tried restarting windows explorer through task manager which I could use just fine, which didn't seem to do anything, and then restarted the computer. I am now able to use my computer, but I have concerns I will arrive at the black screen again.

There seems to be another windows update of some sort available, and I was wondering if I should try to install it, or if I should try to do something with rolling back yesterdays update or something of the sort.

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

:)

2. Peer_Sam Win User

Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

3. Remon Ont Win User
    black screen

Hi,

To assist you better regarding your concern, we would like to know more information:

• Did you get any error messages?
    • Have you tried updating the drivers?
    We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Sharath Srinivasa on this

link

You can also check the article about troubleshooting black screen problems on the link below.

windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope this information helps. Please post us back if you need any further assistance.

4. Black screen after update

Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Thema:

Black screen after update

1. Black screen after update - Similar Threads - Black screen update

2. Black Screen with Cursor after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen with Cursor after update: Hi I'm now getting a black screen with the cursor displayed after updating Windows 10. I cannot access the task manager or boot in safe mode. Which is all the suggested fixes I can find. How can I fix this?...
  3. Black screen after update

Black screen after update: I updated my Lenovo laptop,and after finishing it the screen turned black.I tried restarting it and nothing happened.The screen is flashing just a lighter black if that makes sense Tried all the solutions but nothing helped....
  4. Black Screen after Windows Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen after Windows Update: I have a Lenovo twist S230u. I restarted my PC after updates. The screen lights are coming on but the screen remains black. When i insert an HDMI cable the screen is shown to the TV but not with resolution as before. Its a pillabox in the middle of the screen. In the control...
  5. Black Screen after Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen after Update: So I turned off my PC when I was going out and it said it gave me the option to install some updates and turn off, it did the same yesterday, so I accepted and left it to update then turn off, I turned back my PC later and I get a black screen where the windows logo should be...
  6. Black Screen After Latest Update

Black Screen After Latest Update: I started the update to my Win10 Pro last night. The screen said it will take a long time (my words), so I went to bed expecting the latest to be fully installed and ready to go this morning. However, I now have a black screen. Occasionally, I will see my mouse cursor, and...
  7. Black screen issues after updates

Black screen issues after updates: So far EVERY update in the last 2 years to Windows 10 has created a black screen event on my desktop where nothing but a black screen is visible after doing the restart. This ONLY happens after updates and EVERY update. I did a reformat only 6months tops ago because that lot...
  8. Black screen after windows update

Black screen after windows update: Hello everyone so i updated windows 10 to KB4340917 OS build 17134.191 and now I'm on my way to the windows startup finishes NVidia graphics card and now my screen is black and I have not got it yet. Please, guys if any of you know how to fix this problem please help me! If...
  9. Screen black after update

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen black after update: So I updated my laptop last night and after the update was finished, it booted up and I logged in and after a couple of minutes my screen went completely black and it doesn't come on. I held down the power button to turn it off and booted up again and still nothing. The...
  10. Black Screen After Recent Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Black Screen After Recent Update: I recently updated my Windows 10 and the result has been completely annoying for two reasons. 1). My cpu seems to be running in slow motion. I can tell there is a distinct lag between turning on my PC and getting to the login screen. Although this problem seems to be...