Windows 10: Black screen after Windows 10 update, is there a driver issue?

Discus and support Black screen after Windows 10 update, is there a driver issue? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; While this problem might have been resolved a while ago, I'm still not too sure if what I did truly fixed the problem. Here's what happened... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ShadowCodeR, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Black screen after Windows 10 update, is there a driver issue?

While this problem might have been resolved a while ago, I'm still not too sure if what I did truly fixed the problem. Here's what happened chronologically:
    • Around three days ago (18th February), my Asus laptop was working fine without any unusual behavior. I did recall seeing an update before I shut it down at night, so I did the update until it shut itself down.
    • The next day (19th February), the laptop went black screen after I went through the login screen (automated login), but it somehow resolved when I accessed the safe mode and disabled the automated login.
    • Yesterday (20th February), the laptop ran just fine until I put it to sleep and it refused to respond at all when I woke it up. This is the time when I had to use the power button to shut it down and turn it back on. The black screen came back, but this time it was before the login screen. When I tried hard-resetting a few times, the laptop could sometimes boot into the desktop but I had to wait for 15-20 minutes to get past that same black screen. When it did boot, the text would sometimes disappear and the whole laptop ran very slowly.

After that last part, here are the things I did to resolve and the results:
    • I uninstalled one of the display drivers (the Intel one) and restarted, but it resolved nothing at all and I had to hard reset again.
    • I tried using SFC while booting in safe mode with command prompt, but the scan either failed or found nothing wrong.
    • I uninstalled the other graphics driver (the NVIDIA one), but the driver didn't came back when I restarted the laptop. This actually caused more issues with the missing text as every pop-up messages and the taskbar text were completely wiped out.
    • I left the laptop overnight until I checked this morning after a new update came up last night, but the desktop icons were also missing their text labels.
    • As a last resort, I downloaded the latest NVIDIA driver from my phone and moved it to my laptop so I could install the newest version of the driver. The driver was installed without any issues and the laptop ran the way it used to be when I shut it down and turned it back on again.

After everything is resolved, my conclusion is that the update is causing the issue with the graphics driver. But my question is, is this really the case? I really want this to be the 'permanent' solution because I don't want to go through all that laggy laptop issue anymore.

If needed, my laptop is Asus X450J bought around September 2016, Intel core i7 with 8 GB RAM (originally 4, I added 4 more around 2 years ago). The NVIDIA driver is GeForce 940M version 337 before uninstalled and currently 418. Sorry for the long post, but please let me know if there are any other information needed.

Thanks.

:)

ShadowCodeR, Feb 20, 2019

2. Black Screen During Driver Update Black screen after Windows 10 update, is there a driver issue? :(

I reinstalled my laptop back to factory settings, and I wanted to update the GPU drivers. But when I try, the screen turns black during the update, but the computer is still running. I was forced to turn off the computer and turn it back on. I used system restore, so now I'm using the default drivers that came with the laptop. Can you guys suggest anything?

mrpubnoobz, Feb 20, 2019
  3. Windows 10 update messed up the resolution, driver not working anymore

Hi,

It's possible that Windows was not able to recognize your display drivers that's why you're experiencing black screen errors. To rectify such issue, we suggest that you refer to the steps in this

article
    . That article lists all troubleshooting steps for black screen or blank screen errors.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue.

Angela Pun, Feb 20, 2019
  4. Black screen after Windows 10 update, is there a driver issue?

Issue with black screen, dual display, ATI Integrated GPU

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to go to device manager and disable the display drivers, check whether the issue persists or not.

• Press Windows + X keys and click
      Device manager.
    • Click to expand Display adapters, right click the second adapter and click
      Disable.
    • Restart the computer and check whether the issue persists or not.
    • Repeat the same steps to disable the first display adapter and check if it helps.

If you find the issue is with anyone of the display adapters then, I suggest you to update the display drivers from the manufactures website for Windows 10 and check if it helps.

Method 2: I suggest you to follow the steps form the below article for
    “Black Screen” issues and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Feb 20, 2019
Thema:

Black screen after Windows 10 update, is there a driver issue?

1. Black screen after Windows 10 update, is there a driver issue? - Similar Threads - Black screen update

2. Black screen after driver update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after driver update: I have a Lenovo think pad t460 and after doing a driver update my laptop is stuck in black screen with a none blinckin underscore. I have test to reinstal windows with a usb key but it did not work. Please help to find a solution....
  3. Black screen after driver update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after driver update: I have a Lenovo think pad t460 and after doing a driver update my laptop is stuck in black screen with a none blinckin underscore. I have test to reinstal windows with a usb key but it did not work. Please help to find a solution....
  4. Black screen after driver update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Black Screen after updating graphics drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Black Screen after updating graphics drivers: Yesterday, I decided to update my graphics drivers. When the update was complete, the installer said that a restart of the computer was required. After I did that, my computer will refuse to boot. I am stuck on a black screen without a cursor. I can toggle caps lock, num...
  6. Windows 10 Black Screen after updating graphics drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Black Screen after updating graphics drivers: Yesterday, I decided to update my graphics drivers. When the update was complete, the installer said that a restart of the computer was required. After I did that, my computer will refuse to boot. I am stuck on a black screen without a cursor. I can toggle caps lock, num...
  7. Windows 10 Black Screen after updating graphics drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Black screen Issue after updating NVIDIA driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen Issue after updating NVIDIA driver: I have Asus TUF A15 FX506II. It happen many times when I using my laptop for over than 4 hours. The screen suddenly go black and the laptop not responding. I tried to ctrl+alt+del but nothing happen, even I trying to turn on/off the keyboard backlight, nothing happen to the...
  9. Black screen after Windows 10 update, is there a driver issue?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Black screen after Windows 10 update, is there a driver issue?: While this problem might have been resolved a while ago, I'm still not too sure if what I did truly fixed the problem. Here's what happened chronologically: Around three days ago (18th February), my Asus laptop was working fine without any unusual behavior. I did recall...
  10. Black screen issues after updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen issues after updates: So far EVERY update in the last 2 years to Windows 10 has created a black screen event on my desktop where nothing but a black screen is visible after doing the restart. This ONLY happens after updates and EVERY update. I did a reformat only 6months tops ago because that lot...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windosphone update black screen

2. black screen pops up on windows 10 after updates

3. black screen after update windows 10

4. is there an issue with computer login after Microsoft update februsry 2019,
  5. after windows update the screen is black what happened