Windows 10: Black Screen after Windows 10 update.

Discus and support Black Screen after Windows 10 update. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I just updated Windows (Running WIndows 10 Pro) after it kept nagging me about it. The update took a while and when it was finally done,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Rup, Mar 15, 2017.

1. RUP
    Rup Win User

Black Screen after Windows 10 update.

Hi all,

I just updated Windows (Running WIndows 10 Pro) after it kept nagging me about it. The update took a while and when it was finally done, Explorer.exe wouldn't start. I see a black screen and my mouse cursor. I can start the task manager and open most programs from there like Chome, but starting Explorer.exe doesn't work, even though I can open folders (which then starts the explorer.exe process but doesn't start the rest of the Windows UI shell, just the folders.).

Here are there things that work and don't work:

Working:

• Safe Mode. I can boot in safe mode and Explorer.exe works fully but while in Safe Mode:
      • Internet doesn't work (even though I have 'Safe Mode with Networking)
      • Opening 'Windows Settings' app works but I cannot navigate to "Updates" tab to uninstall latest Windows Update.
      • Cannot start Windows Defender, says cannot be started with this administrator account, tells me to switch accounts.
    • Cmd.exe and Powershell.
    • Folder navigation works as normal, but cannot open Windows Settings from there either, even though there's a direct link to it in the ribbon.
    • Internet while in normal mode, but not in safe mode.
    • Control panel.

Not working:

• Windows settings app.
    • ms-settings command from terminal: 'ms-settings is not recognized'
    • seemingly unable to enter BIOS at startup.
    • System restore. It says I had no restore point but I KNOW that I set one earlier last year. Is it possible that the anniversary updates wiped out my restore points?

I have something called 'Driver Talent' that I used to update all my drivers when I first purchased this machine, and it says all my drivers are up to date.

I have whatever the latest Windows insider preview build is (unable to check which exct number) since I'm on the fast ring.

Running any of the system troubleshooters finds nothing. Just installed MalwareBytes and running a scan. Will update post as soon as it's done.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

:)

2. After waiting overnight for Win 10 update

Is there a Windows 10 Update? Cause I started one yesterday, it was 91% complete after 10 hours. I got up this AM to a black screen,

and there is no change after several restarts, only a black screen.

SAMUEL NANCYKENNETTE, Mar 15, 2017
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Everytime I log into my user, it shows a black screen!

Hi,

As per the description I understand that you have issues in accessing the device with black screen after log-in screen on Windows 10.

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated display adapter drivers on Windows 10.

I suggest you to refer to the steps in the below Microsoft article about resolving the issues with black screen before and after sign-in and check if it helps.

Refer: Troubleshoot black screen problems

As you facing black screen issues after Sign-in, click on Black screen and signed in to Windows 10.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue to assist you further.

Arun B J, Mar 15, 2017
  4. RUP
    Rup Win User

Malware Bytes found nothing except some adware I removed. Tried adding a user account but this tries to fire up explorer.exe and an error appears saying "Class not registered" for explorer.exe

5. RUP
    Rup Win User
    I FIXED IT! After running 7 different driver scanning and malware scanning apps that found nothing, and spending 3 hours scanning online forums like this one I found one comment in a thread saying they fixed their issue by uninstalling "StartIsBack". I don't have that app but I remembered some months ago I installed a similar app called "UxStyle" which let's you theme your windows file explorer. I forgot about it because after installing it an thinking it didn't work I just moved on. I uninstalled it and wiped whatever I could and without even having to reboot I ran explorer.exe from task manager and finally it booted up and everything works. I'm guessing that software corted the windows update I ran this morning. This gives a clue as to why it mostly affected windows apps and UI.

Thema:

1. Black Screen after Windows 10 update. - Similar Threads - Black Screen update

2. Black screen after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after Windows 10 update: After updating Windows 10, my laptop is not working well. It takes forever to turn on the computer and often hangs at the login page for a few minutes. The screen turns black randomly, but always only for a few seconds. I can't play any video, nothing is visible. Is there any...
  3. Black screen after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen after Windows 10 update: After updating Windows 10, my laptop is not working well. It takes forever to turn on the computer and often hangs at the login page for a few minutes. The screen turns black randomly, but always only for a few seconds. I can't play any video, nothing is visible. Is there any...
  4. Black screen after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen after Windows 10 update: Hello! After updating Windows 10, my laptop is not working well. It takes forever to power up and often hangs at the login page for a few minutes. The screen goes black randomly, but always only for a few seconds it resolves on its own. I can't play any video. Is there any...
  5. Black screen after windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black screen after windows 10 update: Hi after a windows 10 update my lenovo all in one shows a black screen on start up, But won't boot up I have removed the power lead and pressed the power button for 30 seconds then restarted no difference The hard drive is vibrating so I think it is working it is found in...
  6. Black screen after windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after windows 10 Update: Hi, my current version in windows 10 1607. I have been trying to update it for months. Every time I download the update, following update the pc automatically restarts but when its restarting I get a black screen. I have to manually reset the pc to get the pc to boot but when...
  7. Black screen after Windows 10 update

Black screen after Windows 10 update: Hello, I could really use some help. I upgraded my pc to Windows 10 and after a few times restarting it because of updates I got a black screen saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". After googling this...
  8. Black Screen After Updating Windows 10

Black Screen After Updating Windows 10: I hate when this happen, its not the first time i have to trouble with this, after last update of W10 My screen its turning Black sometimes and i need to reboot my PC to work in my jobs again. Any help its apreciated....
  9. Black Screen after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Black Screen after Windows 10 update: Windows 10 did an update. Sign in screen is OK but after signing in screen is black. I have pointer and desktop icons but screen is black. Help... 113168
  10. Windows 10 black screen after update.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 black screen after update.: I was using my laptop last night and got off and decided to go to bed. At this point it was still working fine. When I woke up, it was installing an update and I decided to let it finish. After the update was complete, it went to a lack screen, which I thought was weird. So I...