Windows 10: Black Screen and System Restart with Even ID 41 : BugCheckCode 278

Discus and support Black Screen and System Restart with Even ID 41 : BugCheckCode 278 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi Guyz , My system suddenly stops / hangs and goes black and restarts . I updated driver / OS . Still my error persists , I need to know whether its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by frostarun, Jul 28, 2019.

1. frostarun Win User

Black Screen and System Restart with Even ID 41 : BugCheckCode 278

Hi Guyz ,

My system suddenly stops / hangs and goes black and restarts . I updated driver / OS . Still my error persists , I need to know whether its CPU or GPU from the error code . Can someone plz help out ?

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>6</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-07-28T12:42:23.977066600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>557</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>MARCUS_PHOENIX</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">278</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xffffbf0955295010</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
    <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>
    <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

:)

frostarun, Jul 28, 2019

2. Kernel-Power event id 41. BugcheckCode 0

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In-order to get more clarity on this issue and to assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, reply with answers to the below questions:

1. Are you aware of any changes made on your PC, prior to this issue?
    2. Is this issue specific while playing a particular game?
    3. Which edition of Windows are you currently using?

A Kernel Power Event 41 can occur in the following scenarios.

Scenario 1: The computer restarts, and there is a Stop error BugcheckCode in the event data.

Scenario 2: The computer is shut down by pressing and holding the power button.

Scenario 3: The system randomly restarts and no Stop error BugcheckCode is listed, or the computer is completely unresponsive (hard hang).

I suggest you refer the article on Kernel
    Power Event ID 41
    and follow the steps for the scenario that is causing this error on your PC.

Additionally, you can refer the article on Windows
    Kernel event ID 41 error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" in Windows

and check if that helps.

Regards,

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jul 28, 2019
  3. Kernel-Power event id 41. BugcheckCode 0

Hello,

Thank you for replying with the required information.

What is the make and model of your PC?

As you have mentioned that the system randomly restarts and no Stop error BugcheckCode is listed, or the computer is completely unresponsive,
    this scenario usually indicates a problem with the hardware. To help isolate the problem, I suggest you to refer the section
    Scenario 3: The system randomly restarts and no Stop error BugcheckCode is listed, or the computer is completely unresponsive (hard hang)
    from the following article on Windows Kernel event
    ID 41 error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" in Windows

and follow the steps mentioned in the section to isolate the cause of the issue.

If you see that the computer generates a Stop error that contains a BugcheckCode value that is not reported in an event ID 41, change the restart behavior for the computer. To do this, follow these steps:

Right-click My Computer, and then click
    Properties.

Click Advanced system settings.

Click the Advanced tab.

In the Startup and Recovery
    section, click Settings.

Click to clear the Automatically restart
    check box.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1: Perform clean boot.

Check if any third party application is causing this issue. Refer the article on
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    for steps to perform clean boot.

Note:
    A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program.

Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality while in a clean boot environment, however that functionality will return when you
    reset the computer to start normally after you have finished your troubleshooting.

Method 2: Adjust PC to best performance.

To do that,

In the search box on the taskbar, type
    performance
    , then select Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.

On the Visual Effects tab, select
    Adjust for best performance > Apply.

Restart your PC and see if that speeds up your PC.

Method 3: Check your hard disk for errors.

To do that,

1. Double click on This PC icon.
    2. Right-click the hard disk drive that may be damaged.
    3. Click Properties, and then click the Tools tab.
    4. Click on the Check option.
    5. Now click on the Scan Drive option.

Regards,

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jul 28, 2019
  4. Jose Est Win User

My pc just had black screen and stuck/freezing now i see in the event viewer log that i had a Kernel-Power id 41 why ?

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the information.

The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly.

There are scenarios that causes event 41. Which of these 3 scenarios are you experiencing:

• Scenario 1: The computer restarts, and there is a Stop error BugcheckCode in the event data.
    • Scenario 2: The computer is shut down by pressing and holding the power button.
    • Scenario 3: The system randomly restarts and no Stop error BugcheckCode is listed, or the computer is completely unresponsive (hard hang).

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Jul 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Black Screen and System Restart with Even ID 41 : BugCheckCode 278 - Similar Threads - Black Screen System

2. Unstable System: Event id 41, BugcheckCode 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unstable System: Event id 41, BugcheckCode 10: Hello I have following problem:I have had 12 restarts in 2 days, the PC just restarts while in use or idle and the same event id is shown in the event log. I am not sure if this is related to the fact that I have been rearranging my HDDs as to have everything organized. I...
  3. Kernel-Power Event 41 Bugcheckcode 278

Kernel-Power Event 41 Bugcheckcode 278: Since I installed a new VGA adapter my PC started some random reboots, even at moments I wasn't even using it. No BSOD. Just a black screen and reboot.I check event viewer and it shoes a Event 41,Kernel-Power - Task 63 - Bugcheckcode 278. Looked for it and it's a 116...
  4. Kernel-Power Event 41 Bugcheckcode 278

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kernel-Power Event 41 Bugcheckcode 278: Since I installed a new VGA adapter my PC started some random reboots, even at moments I wasn't even using it. No BSOD. Just a black screen and reboot.I check event viewer and it shoes a Event 41,Kernel-Power - Task 63 - Bugcheckcode 278. Looked for it and it's a 116...
  5. Windows Restarts With Event ID 41, BugCheckCode 126

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Restarts With Event ID 41, BugCheckCode 126: Hello, my machine recently had a strange restart event, and I believe it could be related to some specific program.Here are the dump file:https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av8IGzbBZbNYhsh8x0Y1joSgDTd0Rg?e=ip1DAsHere are some basic system info:Processor Intel i9-10900KInstalled RAM 64.0...
  6. Windows Restarts With Event ID 41, BugCheckCode 126

Windows Restarts With Event ID 41, BugCheckCode 126: Hello, my machine recently had a strange restart event, and I believe it could be related to some specific program.Here are the dump file:https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av8IGzbBZbNYhsh8x0Y1joSgDTd0Rg?e=ip1DAsHere are some basic system info:Processor Intel i9-10900KInstalled RAM 64.0...
  7. Kernel Power ID 41 Bugcheckcode 278.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kernel Power ID 41 Bugcheckcode 278.: Hello. This error has been happening at random whenever I'm playing any game, it seems like the computer cuts off everything and reboots on its own. So far I've uninstalled the Nvidia Graphic Driver and installed it back, updated all drivers I could and I ended up doing a...
  8. Kernel Power ID 41 Bugcheckcode 278.

Kernel Power ID 41 Bugcheckcode 278.: Hello. This error has been happening at random whenever I'm playing any game, it seems like the computer cuts off everything and reboots on its own. So far I've uninstalled the Nvidia Graphic Driver and installed it back, updated all drivers I could and I ended up doing a...
  9. Kernel Power ID 41 Bugcheckcode 278.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Random hang and shutdown/restart: Event 41, Kernel-Power, BugcheckCode 278

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random hang and shutdown/restart: Event 41, Kernel-Power, BugcheckCode 278: What happened: My PC randomly hands and shutdowns/resets. It can happen at random, sometimes while I'm watching youtube, sometimes during gaming session, sometimes even in the BIOS settings. Event detail in Event Viewer: - EventData BugcheckCode 278...