Windows 10: Black screen and WAIT during bootup

Discus and support Black screen and WAIT during bootup in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; For two years I have had three hard drives installed. One small one went bad and at bootup I would get that information with "Press F1 to resume" which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by dthomasss, Aug 29, 2015.

1. dthomasss Win User

Black screen and WAIT during bootup

For two years I have had three hard drives installed. One small one went bad and at bootup I would get that information with "Press F1 to resume" which I would do and then windows would load. I upgraded to windows 10 from 7 three weeks ago, same message, and no problem, as it would still go right into windows. Last week I noticed windows update had a list of important updates. I believe I also had an nvideo GeForce driver update which I am sure I did first without problems.
    When I did the windows updates and had to restart, I noticed I had a slightly different look but it still took me to the same press F1 to resume. However, the result was it went to a totally black screen with a tiny band of the new windows blue across the top and in the middle of the screen it said WAIT, not in windows type but in the same script when you first begin booting computer. It just remained there and there was no activity taking place, no blinking red light or solid red light like my computer always does. After at least 20 minutes of no activity I rebooted with the same result. Repeating the F1 kept giving the same result, and further reboots and then the F1 caused the computer to reboot maybe 2 out of 5 tries instead of directly going to the black screen. At one point I quickly saw something where I believe it askd to press tab or possibly delete and then gave an option to press F1 or F2. I am not sure which I pressed but it did go into windows and everything was fine for the rest of the day. I let my computer on but at some point overnight it had rebooted and back to the press F1 to resume which results in back to the black screen WAIT and this is where I am at again (I am using a different computer to send this). Any suggestions?

:)

dthomasss, Aug 29, 2015
  2. StephenB_ Win User

30-60 second black screen with cursor on every boot

Thanks for the links Parth, unfortunately neither of them helped.

The first link only mentions a black screen during windows installation, which I had, but fixed by unplugging my TV from my second display port. That is not the case with the black screen I get on boot.

The second link has information on disabling the on-board graphics chip, I also did that but it didn't fix my problem.

I'm hoping to find the cause of the multiple attempts to load dxgkrnl.sys during bootup after it's already been loaded because, unless that's something fairly common, I think it could be causing the black screen.

StephenB_, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Windows Startup with Black Screen only a arrow with blinking

Hi,

We suggest that you check Andrew_HP's reply on Nov. 11, 2014 on the link below and see if it works for you:

Windows 10 Black screen on bootup.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Aug 29, 2015
  4. Snakeyes Win User

Have you tried physically disconnecting all but the boot drive?

Snakeyes, Aug 29, 2015
  5. dthomasss Win User
    I had to go out of town for the weekend so that will surely be the next thing i try. Just not convinced as the F1 resume has worked for two years until i did the latest win 10 updates, but at least without the drive there it will have to do something else other than show the message about pressing F1 to resume!

dthomasss, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Black screen and WAIT during bootup - Similar Threads - Black screen WAIT

2. Computer Black Screens on Bootup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Black Screens on Bootup: My computer black screens when I boot it up and never reaches the log in screen or loads windows. I've tried using commands with the keys on my keyboard, but no keys actually bring up anything on my screen to actually make a change. My cursor doesn't show up on the screen...
  3. Computer Black Screens on Bootup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Black Screens on Bootup: My computer black screens when I boot it up and never reaches the log in screen or loads windows. I've tried using commands with the keys on my keyboard, but no keys actually bring up anything on my screen to actually make a change. My cursor doesn't show up on the screen...
  4. Computer Black Screens on Bootup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Black screen on bootup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen on bootup: Hi, I get a black screen. On start up, it looks like my laptop is booting normally, then the display goes black. The drive light and fan keep running. It’s happened a couple of times in the last month and both times, it’s come back on after turning it off and restarting it....
  6. Black screen on bootup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen on bootup: Hi, I get a black screen. On start up, it looks like my laptop is booting normally, then the display goes black. The drive light and fan keep running. It’s happened a couple of times in the last month and both times, it’s come back on after turning it off and restarting it....
  7. Black screen on bootup

8. Help with black screen at bootup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with black screen at bootup?: Powered my laptop on, only to find myself stuck at the loading bootup screen. Powered on/off until the Preparing Automatic Repair text appears under the loading circle, except it just cuts to a black screen with my cursor and winpeshl.exe Pried open my laptop and poked...
  9. BSOD during bootup (black screen 2min -> BSOD)

BSOD during bootup (black screen 2min -> BSOD): Hello I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from 7. I did choose the non-clean install, and i wish to keep it this way. i do NOT wish to clean install, as id rather just fix the problem. Anyways, my problem is; During the boot process, the pc startet to take a long time,...
  10. black screen during bootup

in Windows 10 Support
    black screen during bootup: During boot up I get a black screen for about 1 min then the login for my account. I notice a lot of hard drive activity during the black screen. I'm using amd-catalyst-15.10beta-64bit-win10-win8.1-win7-oct12.exe (latest one). Win 10 works fine except for the black screen....