Windows 10: black screen at login after messing w/ the display settings

Discus and support black screen at login after messing w/ the display settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; While attempting to get my pc hooked up to a tv, I messed around with the multiple displays setting and somehow the format on my desktop got bugged.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by z64, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Z64
    z64 Win User

black screen at login after messing w/ the display settings

While attempting to get my pc hooked up to a tv, I messed around with the multiple displays setting and somehow the format on my desktop got bugged. (apps on desktop gone, nothing in the taskbar will open) I assumed turning my pc off and on would fix it, but that's when I got to the black screen at login problem. I've gone into safe mode and rolled back my display driver (to the basic windows 10 one) which gets rid of the black screen problem, but in turn makes most of the games I have run at like 10fps. My pc is a gaming one, so this really isn't ideal. I'm not tech savvy at all and I'm really at a loss as to what to do here. Is there any way to fix this or reset it back to the way it was before? additional stuff: I'm using windows 10 on a cyberpowerpc, and the display driver I was using before the problem is listed as Radeon RX 570 Series. I'm not really sure what that means, but maybe it'll be helpful

:)

2. Arun B J Win User

Can't login to new computer w/Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

• Are you able to login to Microsoft Account on Web?

• Have you installed any language pack?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to select the appropriate language in login screen at the bottom right corner and check if it helps.

Steps 2: Use On-screen keyboard in the login screen to login and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jul 4, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Black screen after updating display drivers

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that after upgrading the graphics drivers, you are receiving a Black screen. I’ll certainly assist
    you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• When exactly do you see a black screen?

• Are you able to boot the computer to the login in screen?

• What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to try refreshing the graphics driver by using the key sequence
    Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B and see if that helps.

I would suggest you to try booting the computer into Safe Mode and try disabling the display driver. Refer
    the article on Start
    your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

After booting the computer to Safe Mode, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press
      Windows logo key + X, and select Device Manager.

2. Expand
      Display Adapters.

3. Right click on the
      Display driver and select Disable device.

4. Restart the computer.

If this allows you to boot the computer to normal mode, try uninstalling the driver.
    To do this, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press
      Windows logo key + X, and select Device Manager.

2. Expand
      Display Adapters.

3. Right click on the
      Display driver and select Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 4, 2021
  4. Rose Cal Win User

black screen

Hi Bart,

It is possible that you're experiencing black screen due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • What happen when you tried to login?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot black screen errors. You can choose which situation you're experiencing the error and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jul 4, 2021
Thema:

1. black screen at login after messing w/ the display settings - Similar Threads - black screen login

2. Black Screen After Login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen After Login: Ok So When I Turn On My Computer I See A Completely Black Screen Except For Microsoft Edge Open On A New Tab I've Also Tried The Following:Opening The Advanced Startup Screen ~10 Times [It Just Appears As A Black Screen]Opening Control Panel [Doesn't Open]Alt-F4 [Doesn't...
  3. Black screen after login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after login: Since the last Windows update, installed this afternoon, I cannot use my laptop because when I connect, the screen is completely black and I cannot access anything, not even the control panel. How should I proceed in this case, I don't want to lose my files, any help is...
  4. Black screen after login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen after login: Since the last Windows update, installed this afternoon, I cannot use my laptop because when I connect, the screen is completely black and I cannot access anything, not even the control panel. How should I proceed in this case, I don't want to lose my files, any help is...
  5. black screen after login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    black screen after login: so i literally just restarted my laptop and after signing in its giving me a black screen with my cursori tried editing the shell so that it was set to explorer.exe but it was already set to thati tried restarting explorer.exe through task manager and it wasnt there at alli...
  6. Black Screen After Login

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen After Login: Every time I log on to my laptop I get stuck on a black screen with the cursor. I can get task manager up by using ctrl + alt + delete. I don't seem to have the problem when in safe mode. I have tried restarting windows explorer and running it from task manager but neither...
  7. Black Screen w/ Cursor After Login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black Screen w/ Cursor After Login: Hey all, trying to help my gf with some computer issues, We were playing games and hanging out on discord last night, we went to sleep, she attempted to wake her computer up in the morning, she gets a black screen after login with cursor. Walked through the typical steps,...
  8. Black Screen After Login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black Screen After Login: i’m sure everyone’s heard this story about 10 times over, but every time i’ve logged in today it logs in to a black screen with a moveable cursor i’ve tried - fn+f8 (didn’t work) - windows key+ctrl+shift (didn’t work) - ctrl+alt+delete (worked but won’t open task manager) -...
  9. Black screen w/cursor after login and extremely slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen w/cursor after login and extremely slow: The title explains it all. Aftee restarting my PC a few hours ago, it booted up extremely slowly, logged me in slowly, and then displayed a black screen. I tried to reinstall windows while keeping my files, but that didn't do anything. Whenever I press ctrl alt delete it...
  10. Black Screen w/ Cursor After Login.

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen w/ Cursor After Login.: Hi, I've got a serious issue. My newly built computer has been having issues since about day 3. First, let me list off relevant hardware and software. MoBo: ASUS Z170-A CPU: Intel 6600k i5 GPU: MSI 1070 GTX RAM: 32GB DDR4 128GB SSD 1TB HDD 1.5TB HDD 650w PSU...