Windows 10: Black screen entering bios, but windows run fine

Discus and support Black screen entering bios, but windows run fine in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have an old PC and updated the bios with ASUS Suite, and now i cant access the bios holding down delete at startup. I can see the bios logo and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Clyde271, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Clyde271 Win User

Black screen entering bios, but windows run fine

Hi, I have an old PC and updated the bios with ASUS Suite, and now i cant access the bios holding down delete at startup. I can see the bios logo and windows run fine. When I try to enter the bios the monitor shows me a simple black screen and i cant do anything. I tried to clear cmos, updating the bios again, reinsert ram, disconnect sata cables, using a different monitor, but nothing seems to work.

Here is the configuration:
    Windows 7 Pro
    ASUS P9X79 LE
    Intel i7 - 3820
    Nvidia GeForce GT 630
    2 x DDR3 4 GB A-DATA PC3-10700

:)

Clyde271, Feb 19, 2020
  2. joe42 Win User

Blank screen when entering BIOS, but Windows Boots fine on ASUS CH7

Hello,

I wanted to check the bios settings and I have suddenly found out, that when I press DEL to enter BIOS, the display is blank. Monitor is On, it has signal, but with blank black screen. Computer starts normally, beeps, displays the AMI initial screen and normally boots into Windows. If I press DEL however, instead of going to BIOS, I get blank screen.

Baseline:
    • AMD Ryzen 2700X / ASUS Crosshair 7 WIFI
    • BIOS 2008
    • Windows 10 PRO 1809

Troubleshooting done:
    • Monitor to any other display output (only this one is on, others are off)
    • Different VGA
    • BIOS reset - did not help, although it was reset. I got message that BIOS was reset, press F1 to enter bios, but then - the same issue.
    • BIOS Flashback update - After pressing the button, it blinks 3 times, then turns on, which should be OK. BUt nothing is happening - the led on USB stick does not blink. Whan I interrupt, the PC works as before.
    • EZ Update in Windows - after submitting to update the bios, it restarts, but then enters the BIOS, which is - blank. After restart, all works as before (with black BIOS)
    • Entering BIOS from Windows (Shift-Restart) does have the same effect

I am out of ideas now - the PC works, just can't get into BIOS to change anything. Of course, now, I have the default settings loaded because of few BIOS resets.

Interesting is, that when in BIOS, I am getting 0d on the postcode - changes to this after entering the BIOS. In the manual, this value should be reserved for future AMI BIOS errors.

Any hints?

joe42, Feb 19, 2020
  3. Windows 10 started fine then the screen went black

Hello,

Please try the below steps to troubleshoot black screen error issue.

I would suggest you to refer the below link and follow the suggestions provided by Sharath Srinivasa and see if it helps.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

The issue you are facing with USB ports, kindly try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Update USB Controllers.

To update the USB Controllers from Device Manager follow these steps.

• Go to Device manager in control panel.
    • Select Device manager and a Device Manager window will pop-up.
    • Double Click on USB Controllers to expand.
    • Right click on the USB Controllers that is listed and select Update.
    If the above steps doesn't help try the below method.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall USB controllers
    and check. Please follow these steps:

a. Press Windows + R keys, type devmgmt.msc
    in run window and press Enter.

b. In device manager, expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

c. Right click a device under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and click
    uninstall.

d. Perform same step for other devices. When completed, restart the computer.

All USB controllers will reinstall automatically.

I hope this information helps.

ThofikhAhamad, Feb 19, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

Black screen after 'Starting Windows' sequence

Sounds like the old... windows black screen of death.

Try this quoted from "VisiHow" article "Repair Windows 7 Black Screen of Death":

They, also, have some other options there, too.
    Google search and you will find a lot of the "Windows Black Screen of Death with cursor" fixes.

95Viper, Feb 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Black screen entering bios, but windows run fine - Similar Threads - Black screen entering

2. Total black screen no bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Total black screen no bios: Hey everyone,I'm in a bit of a situation.I went to turn on my laptop today to find that, overnight, it had attempted an update. I do my best to block updates, because they always fail, but this one got by me. Sure enough, it was stuck at 26%, fan going nuts, really hot, so I...
  3. Total black screen no bios

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Total black screen no bios: Hey everyone,I'm in a bit of a situation.I went to turn on my laptop today to find that, overnight, it had attempted an update. I do my best to block updates, because they always fail, but this one got by me. Sure enough, it was stuck at 26%, fan going nuts, really hot, so I...
  4. Black screen in bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen in bios: When i go to bios there is a Black screen and system boots normally Motherboard: LENOVO Nano 5A8Bios version 1QCN32WWi tried disconnect the cmos battery and connect But after that i cant use my keyboard until windows boots upOS: Windows 10...
  5. Black screen in bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen in bios: When i go to bios there is a Black screen and system boots normally Motherboard: LENOVO Nano 5A8Bios version 1QCN32WWi tried disconnect the cmos battery and connect But after that i cant use my keyboard until windows boots upOS: Windows 10...
  6. Black screen in bios

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Black screen no bios splash screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen no bios splash screen: I recently had to perform a force shut down because windows froze for over a minute, even my rgb on my keyboard and mouse froze. After the shutdown I am not able to boot back into windows, I get a black screen with no bios splash screen, the keyboard and mouse do not get...
  8. [help] black screen no bios?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [help] black screen no bios?: I have recently had a lot of various computer troubles. The end result of which is now when I boot up the bios doesn't even come on. It's just a black screen. My keyboard lights up for a second and then the light turns off. It's like the power source works but nothing else...
  9. Unable to enter password in bios screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to enter password in bios screen: i HAVE A HP WITH WINDOWS 10 PRO OS. i HAVE A BIOS PASSWORD WHEN LOGGING IN.WHEN WHEN I TURN ON THE COMPUTER AND TRY TO ENTER THE PASSWORD NOTHING TYPES IN THE SCREEN. i TRIED DIFFERENT PORTS AND DIFFERENT KEY BOARDS WITH THE SAME RESULTS. i TOOK THE BATTERY OUT AND UNPLUGGED...
  10. Blank screen when entering BIOS, but Windows Boots fine on ASUS CH7

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank screen when entering BIOS, but Windows Boots fine on ASUS CH7: Hello, I wanted to check the bios settings and I have suddenly found out, that when I press DEL to enter BIOS, the display is blank. Monitor is On, it has signal, but with blank black screen. Computer starts normally, beeps, displays the AMI initial screen and normally boots...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black screen when opening bios