Windows 10: Black Screen for Brief 1-2 seconds after clicking Start or Cortana on task bar or when I...

Discus and support Black Screen for Brief 1-2 seconds after clicking Start or Cortana on task bar or when I... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a Dell Precision M4600 running Windows 10 OS. When I click on the Cortana search bar the screen will go black for about 1-2 seconds, and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CrystalSloan, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Black Screen for Brief 1-2 seconds after clicking Start or Cortana on task bar or when I...

I have a Dell Precision M4600 running Windows 10 OS. When I click on the Cortana search bar the screen will go black for about 1-2 seconds, and then come back with Cortana opened like normal. Visually everything is normal when the display comes back. The same thing occurs with the Start Menu button when clicked or when I press the windows button on the keyboard. One other thing that I noticed is that if I click either of this buttons back to back, it won't do the black screen the second or more times only the first time. However, if I open a program such as settin

:)

CrystalSloan, Jun 20, 2021

2. Cortana - Search and Task Bar

Hi,

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to follow below steps and check.

Step 1: I suggest you to install all the latest pending Windows updates as below and check if it helps.

• Go to “settings” and click on “update and security”.
    • Under tab “Windows update”, click on the icon “check for updates”.
    • Then once you find the pending updates install it and check.

Step 2: Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

1. Press Windows+X and click on Control Panel.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Click on Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

4. Run the Troubleshooter.

Method 2: You may follow the steps from the below article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

Fix problems with the Start menu

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Karthicka_R, Jun 20, 2021
  3. PeteIves Win User
    lost Cortana and other items from start

Hi,Thanks for your reply with suggestions to restore Cortana,I tried both your suggested methods and Method1 did not make any difference,Method 2 gave me a message stating "Start-Up Repair could not repair my PC.

The problems I have are:- 1,CORTANA Icon has disappeared from my EDGE and my Task Bar on my computer,If I click on the Cortana icon in all apps all I get is a blank screen,no icons on the left of the Cortana pop up screen,and the right side is completely
    black.

2,If I click on the search icon on my Task Bar nothing happens.

3,Everything except settings is turned off(with no way of turning them back on)in Choose which folders appear on start.

If you have anyother suggestions please let me know.

PeteIves, Jun 20, 2021
  4. Black Screen for Brief 1-2 seconds after clicking Start or Cortana on task bar or when I...

Cortana no longer pops up with greetings or info on taskbar!

Hi,

Logout and login into Cortana by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 1: To logout of Cortana, follow the steps below:

• Click on Cortana icon located next to Start button on the Task bar.
    • Click on Notebook located at the left panel of the Cortana Window.
    • Click on About me and select the Microsoft account you are currently logged in into.
    • Click on the user account displayed in the window and select Sign out.

Step 2: To sign in into Cortana, follow the steps below:

• Click on Cortana icon located next to Start button on the Task bar.
    • Click on Notebook located at the left panel of the Cortana Window.
    • Click on About me and login using the Microsoft account credentials.
    • Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of Cortana not working on the computer for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jun 20, 2021
Thema:

Black Screen for Brief 1-2 seconds after clicking Start or Cortana on task bar or when I...

1. Black Screen for Brief 1-2 seconds after clicking Start or Cortana on task bar or when I... - Similar Threads - Black Screen Brief

2. Is it normal for a brief black screen when signing in and out?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it normal for a brief black screen when signing in and out?: Anytime I use the ALT +F4 shortcut to log in or switch user there is also a brief black screen faintly lit due to my monitor when logging in or out, logging in also shows a brief "please wait" loading screen.are these normal?...
  3. Is it normal for a brief black screen when signing in and out?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it normal for a brief black screen when signing in and out?: Anytime I use the ALT +F4 shortcut to log in or switch user there is also a brief black screen faintly lit due to my monitor when logging in or out, logging in also shows a brief "please wait" loading screen.are these normal?...
  4. Cortana Briefings

in Cortana
    Cortana Briefings: Hello, I have an end user that received a Cortana briefing that involved a task from a supervisor. The original email never reached the users inbox, they are only able to access the email from the Cortana brief. Is this a setting that can be disabled or something that is...
  5. Black Screen on Start with Cursor and Task Bar / Error sound when clicking on the screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen on Start with Cursor and Task Bar / Error sound when clicking on the screen: Hi My laptop suddenly had a problem. Upon starting, I am greeted with the usual log in screen. Everything looks normal from there. The problem is after I log in. The screen is just black, with the cursor and task bar available. And every time I click on my desktop, I hear...
  6. Cortana and task bar

in Cortana
    Cortana and task bar: I have Cortana turned off in its settings because I do not use it. I've never set it up. However, whenever I move my arrow to the bottom of the screen, for example, if I want to scroll the the right or left, the task bar pops up and freezes in place so that I can no longer...
  7. Cortana/start menu/task bar not working

in Cortana
    Cortana/start menu/task bar not working: Cortana or the searchui process are not in my task manager, so I ran a sfc /scannow. I have no idea how to tell what it's saying in the log, but I can see it found some corrupted files. How to I attach the cbs.log on here?...
  8. Cortana/start menu/task bar not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana/start menu/task bar not working: Cortana or the searchui process are not in my task manager, so I ran a sfc /scannow. I have no idea how to tell what it's saying in the log, but I can see it found some corrupted files. I was going to attach it but the size limit is 2mb, and my log is 8mb. What should I do?...
  9. start up black screen after brief start with samsung logo

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    start up black screen after brief start with samsung logo: black screen after brief resart. im trying to go into repair mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-up-black-screen-after-brief-start-with/96ca164c-a37a-47b6-a703-3c1c125c0b47
  10. Black screen after Cortana started jabbering

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after Cortana started jabbering: I wiped the drive and installed Windows 10 Pro from an ISO downloaded from Microsoft. Just after I entered the first security question -- I chose a non-Microsoft login for admin -- the screen went black. I kept clicking the mouse, pressing Enter, and even tried...