Windows 10: black screen for youtube & mp4s with sound

Discus and support black screen for youtube & mp4s with sound in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I cant play youtube vidios or any mp4s. I just get a black screen and can hear the sound.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cats00, Sep 29, 2019.

1. cats00 Win User

black screen for youtube & mp4s with sound

I cant play youtube vidios or any mp4s. I just get a black screen and can hear the sound.

:)

cats00, Sep 29, 2019
  2. tcebob Win User

Sound fadeout with mp4 or YouTube

Win 10 pro 1607 14393.953

Two similar incidents, 3 days apart. Played video on YouTube and sound started ok but soon faded to almost inaudible. Downloaded the mp4 and played on Movies&Tv, Win Media Player and Zoom Player and on all the sound was weak and distorted. Tried with previously downloaded mp4s which previously played fine. Other sounds such as Windows Sounds (which I normally have turned off) and podcasts with Winamp work fine. Sounds on Internet also work well (except YouTube). Internet streaming works. . . .

. . . Hah!. after a third reboot the sound is working. For a while. Can anyone recommend preemptive action to fix this?

3/28/17 edit:
    I ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wimblack screen for youtube & mp4s with sound :D:\Sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess and it appears to have done the job. I'll mark this as solved.

tcebob, Sep 29, 2019
  3. Youtube black screens.

Well something interesting has happened, yesterday watching youtube videos was no problems, yet today when I try to watch a video, any video it shows as a black screen and the audio works.

After a little google search, I found that watching a video on the issue allowed me to see it, weird I thought as previously no video worked. I then click a random video on the suggested list and that too works.

I then type a search in youtube and bam! black screen again.

After a little more help from google, I found that disabling adblock plus allowed me to watch videos with no problems again + if I disable then re-enable all videos would work, although for a limited time, as after a few minutes when I switched to a new video it started again.

Edit: If I logged out of my youtube account, there would be no more black screens on videos, although there would also be ads...

My fix was this: I uninstalled adblock plus and instaled ublock origin, seems to have done the trick.

My question is what was the cause for this?

Also previously adblock would not block all ads on some sites, like techpowerup for example, ublock origin also fails to do this, although adblock managed to do this when I first installed. I know the fix for my add problems is a uninstall with iobit uninstaller and then reinstall, a simple reinstall does not work and I won't bother installing iobit just for this site. (ublock origin allows me to select bothering things and block them manually)

Edit: Also when I noticed adblock was not blocking all ads, google suggested to disable allow non-intrusive ads, I did that and it worked, I didn't give it further thought and the next day when I connect, ads were still shown on the site. Enabling-disabling the option after this had no further effects on the problem, as neither did a normal uninstall-reinstall of firefox.

My addons for firefox were: Adblock plus, adblock popup addon and disconnect.
    They now are: Ublock origin, adblock popup addon and disconnect.

I also use bitdefender free edition for antivirus and malwarebytes anti malware for on-demand scanning.
    Scanning with both revealed no suspicious or infected files.

This thread is more like what are your thoughts on this?

Silas Woodruff, Sep 29, 2019
  4. psomera Win User

How to fix black and white mp4 files?

Problem:
    Whenever I play an mp4 file from my computer, the appearance of the video is black and white. However, not all mp4 files from my computer do that. It seems like the video files I have created specially from Windows Movie Maker are black and white because videos that I have taken from a video recorder don't seem to be black and white. I also have video files that have been converted from VCR tapes to mp4 files and those are in black and white. Even when I'm on Youtube the video is black and white. I clicked on a video, here;'s the link to it if you want to see what kind of video it is () and the image of the video is just Japanese anime girls, but when I play other videos that are recorded with a camera or are anime videos, those videos are not in black and white.

Solutions that I have already tried:
    I have updated the drive, it is called AMD Radeon HD 8400. I just did this by going to control panel ---> device manager ----> display adaptors
    After updating the drive, I restarted my computer and when I played an mp4 video again, it was still in black and white. I was thinking of disconnecting the drive and then connecting it again, but I have no idea if that is going to affect my files because I have a lot of important pictures and videos on my computer.

Additional Notes:
    • Sometimes, when I play an mp4 file or that video on Youtube, it would be colorful for a split second and then it would be back to monochrome
    • There has been a recent update with my Windows 10, but the files were still fine after the update
    • Steam has been recently downloaded on my computer
    • When I play my mp4 video on another computer (I used my USB to check it out), the pictures moving in the slideshow is actually colorful, but the mp4 files are still in black and white
    • The windows movie maker is actually not original. I re-downloaded it after the update has deleted movie maker. Since I have heard that movie maker is no longer available since last January, I redownloaded it from another site. Still, my mp4 files are still in black and white
    • Only videos that were saved as an mp4 from movie maker, videos that have been converted from VCR tapes and that one video on Youtube were in black and white.

psomera, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

1. black screen for youtube & mp4s with sound - Similar Threads - black screen youtube

2. Random black screen while watching YouTube

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random black screen while watching YouTube: Hello. I was watching LTT Linus tech tips and out of nowhere, a random black color took over my screen. Audio was still playing, but any button presses and mouse clicks didn't work. I held my power button for about 15 seconds woah, too long... I've had this before with RAM...
  3. Random black screen while watching YouTube

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random black screen while watching YouTube: Hello. I was watching LTT Linus tech tips and out of nowhere, a random black color took over my screen. Audio was still playing, but any button presses and mouse clicks didn't work. I held my power button for about 15 seconds woah, too long... I've had this before with RAM...
  4. Screen goes black with the sound.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen goes black with the sound.: When playing a game the screen will randomly go black and can still hear the sound. It has happened while watching Netflix also. Only way to get the picture back is to shut down the computer. ive tried different bios versions. used ddu to reinstall the graphics drivers and...
  5. sound not working in youtube

sound not working in youtube: but works in disney and amazon prime. i have recover,reset, restarted and downloaded updates to no avail. can you help PLEASE. Tony G. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-not-working-in-youtube/7592f0dd-197e-4726-8177-2409c5462139
  6. sound on youtube videos

sound on youtube videos: I can not increase the volume on down loaded you tube videos https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-on-youtube-videos/796ece82-bfc5-4e30-89c4-f72ab268cc00
  7. Black Screen with sounds

Black Screen with sounds: Hello everyone Three days ago I started having some issues, my laptop will turn on but, after posting, nothing will appear in my screen. Just the black screen with white light in the background indicating that the screen is on. what i have done to remedy this issue is:...
  8. Black screen and screetching sounds

Black screen and screetching sounds: a few days, playing witcher 3, I had the following problem: I had a sound as if a CD was scratched, and then my monitor hung up. but I kept hearing the sound of the game, and the mouse continued with the led leds, and the keyboard as well. I rebooted the computer, and it...
  9. Sound on youtub

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sound on youtub: I have a problem with Youtube sound since it is really too quiet. When I turn on the audio file, it starts to sound normally in the beginning and then is getting quieter. I have to go to Realtek settings to make just one song sounds louder. And I have to repeat these steps...
  10. No Sound & Youtube Lags w/ No Sound

No Sound & Youtube Lags w/ No Sound: This morning everything was fine then after a while I lost all audio and got muted laggy playback on YouTube. I'm using Windows 10 Home 10.0.17134. My speaker is an Amazon Basics BSK20 Bluetooth unit. I was playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider when the sound cut out. The volume...