Windows 10: Black screen in Windows 10 dual booted with Ubuntu

Discus and support Black screen in Windows 10 dual booted with Ubuntu in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My computer (dell inspiron) is dual booted, with windows 10 and ubuntu. Normally, when I power my system on, the grub menu comes up and I select... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by KomalGupta32, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Black screen in Windows 10 dual booted with Ubuntu

My computer (dell inspiron) is dual booted, with windows 10 and ubuntu. Normally, when I power my system on, the grub menu comes up and I select windows from it. The first option in the menu is ubuntu, which is selected automatically if I don't select anything. Since yesterday, everytime I power my system on I see a black screen, no dell logo, no grub menu, and after a while ubuntu turns on. Ubuntu works without any errors.

If I change the grub menu configuration such that Windows will boot if I don't select anything, I see a black screen indefinitely. I tried changing the order in the grub menu to 1. Windows 2. Ubuntu; and upon startup pressed Down key and Enter, this also led me into Ubuntu. It is almost as if the grub menu is there but it isn't being displayed. Basically, booting into Windows shows a black screen with no cursor, and booting into Ubuntu (if I can find my way through the invisible grub menu upon startup) works normally.

Is there any way to correct this without wiping and reinstalling everything? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

:)

KomalGupta32, Feb 10, 2019
  2. davidhk Win User

Dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04?

Once I had Windows 10 RTM dual booting with Linux 17.2. No issue whatsoever.

Here is a tutorial on dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu 15.04
    http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/d...th-screenshots

davidhk, Feb 10, 2019
  3. Agriz Win User
    How to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 10?

Hi

I want to dual boot ubuntu with windows.

It seems i need to unlock some settings in windows 10 to dual boot ubuntu.

What settings do i need to unlock?

After installation, i always want windows to boot by default, i don't choose option. Not linux.

Agriz, Feb 10, 2019
  4. dcf-joe Win User

Black screen in Windows 10 dual booted with Ubuntu

dual boot xp and ubuntu

I had that problem a few months ago, but dual-booting is really easy. I am currently dual-booting Vista and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. Use this website here for a guide to dual-booting XP and Ubuntu: APC's February 2019 issue is out now! | TechRadar (I actually did not use this guide at all, but I did pretty much the same thing!)

If you are unable to get your boot working with this guide, reply to this message, and I will write out a step-by-step guide, but it will involve you already having a partition set out for XP (as in you are not already using your entire hard drive space for XP alone.) Even though I write the guide with experience from Vista, it will work with XP

dcf-joe, Feb 10, 2019
Thema:

Black screen in Windows 10 dual booted with Ubuntu

1. Black screen in Windows 10 dual booted with Ubuntu - Similar Threads - Black screen dual

2. Dual Boot Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Ubuntu: I am a software developer who has recently got some embedded systems work. The support community for the tools I will be using is built with the assumption of a Linux operating system. While for other types of work-loads, such as backend work, I have been happy with my...
  3. Dual boot Ubuntu

Dual boot Ubuntu: I tried 'Ubuntu' for a while. Later got the drive deleted. [ATTACH] But the Ubuntu Boot Manager is there in the BIOS ? How can I remove that? Dr Abdul Rasheed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-ubuntu/8d273b76-c1f2-4f23-9ba6-28a4c96b9141
  4. Dual boot windows 10 and Ubuntu

Dual boot windows 10 and Ubuntu: Hi I've got Windows 10 and Ubuntu. My problem is that if I choose Ubuntu as default OS I can choose between Ubuntu and Windows but if I choose Windows as default OS I have no choice. I remember that some time ago I could choose OS from some blue menu. How to deal with this...
  5. Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu: I've dual booted my computer with Ubuntu, I was able to boot into it for a while until windows updated itself and now it skips over the Linux boot menu. Secure and fast boot are both disabled. I've tried adding Ubuntu onto the Windows boot menu but I can't get that to work...
  6. Dual boot with Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu: Hello, I wanted to dual boot with ubuntu on HDD while my windows is on SSD. Most tutorials I have seen usually show the option to select the OS they want to boot into when they start the computer. I was wondering if there is a way where I could always boot into windows...
  7. Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot and Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10

Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot and Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10: Hello. I had dual-booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, drive F(in my case), where Ubuntu...
  8. How to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows 10?: Hi I want to dual boot ubuntu with windows. It seems i need to unlock some settings in windows 10 to dual boot ubuntu. What settings do i need to unlock? After installation, i always want windows to boot by default, i don't choose option. Not linux....
  9. Ubuntu Dual Boot

Ubuntu Dual Boot: I am using the non-metro Windows 10 boot loader to manage a dual boot setup (legacy BIOS) with Ubuntu. Generally, everything works fine. However, sometimes when I perform an update in Ubuntu, grub overwrites the Windows MBR. Then I have to use EasyBCD to restore the Windows...
  10. Dual Booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04

Dual Booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04: Hi, I've just built my desktop and I'm trying to dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04. I've already partitioned my hard drive, and installed Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.04, but I'm trying to get to a place where I can choose what OS to start whenever I turn on my...