Windows 10: Black screen instead of bootloader, then start

Discus and support Black screen instead of bootloader, then start in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I had Windows 10 installed on one partition, and then installed Windows 10 on another partition. The first time I restarted the laptop after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by manvas, Feb 14, 2021.

1. manvas Win User

Black screen instead of bootloader, then start

Hello,

I had Windows 10 installed on one partition, and then installed Windows 10 on another partition. The first time I restarted the laptop after the installation finished, I got the "Choose an operating system" (you know, the blue menu with white font) menu (with the two installations) and the 30 seconds time before the auto choose. But then, after the new Windows 10 started, and after the drivers were automatically installed and everything else set up, I restarted the laptop again, and this time there was no "Choose an operating system"" menu - instead there was black screen (with display backlight turned on of course) for some time (probably the 30 seconds) and then the laptop booted into the newly installed Windows 10 (it is set as default now). I tried restarting the laptop several times to confirm that this is the issue. I tried pressing the F12 button at boot, which brings another Windows menu (also blue) from which you can choose the option for the "Choose an operating system" menu. I chose that option, and the "Choose an operating system" menu came up and I could choose between the two installations (the older installation is set as second - non-default choice).

So, I'm very happy that something worse didn't happen, but how can I fix the black screen during the automatic (at laptop turn on) "Choose an operating system" menu. Without breaking something else meanwhile.

Version number: 20H2
    Laptop model: ASUS X509JA

Thanks in advance.

:)

manvas, Feb 14, 2021
  2. Ryan Fra Win User

Endless black screen without anything but it is on

Hi Basim,

There are several reasons why the screen turns black only. It can be an issue with the software or hardware. Please answer the following questions:

• Are there any major changes made on your computer before the issue started?
    • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps to fix the issue?

For now, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps from this
    link

We are looking forward to your reply.

Ryan Fra, Feb 14, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Black screen, Start screen, Critical Low Battery

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you try the power troubleshooter if you are able to boot into the system.

Follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.
    For black screen issues click on the link below and refer the suggestions by Sharath Srinivasa.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Feb 14, 2021
  4. Rose Cal Win User

black screen

Hi Bart,

It is possible that you're experiencing black screen due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • What happen when you tried to login?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot black screen errors. You can choose which situation you're experiencing the error and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Feb 14, 2021
Thema:

1. Black screen instead of bootloader, then start - Similar Threads - Black screen instead

2. Black screen on start up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen on start up: When I start my PC I am able to get all the fans spinning and all my USB devices have power. However my PC does not deliver any output to my monitor and Windows does not start at all. When this first started happening I tried restarting my PC 3 times in order to get into...
  3. Black Screen at Start-up

Black Screen at Start-up: On my Windows 7 box, I get to the initial Ctrl + Alt + Del to login and then the screen goes black. My cursor works, and additonal Ctrl + Alt + Del flashes the normal screen for a fraction of a second, but no user name visible or Password box. Windows Logo, + Ctrl + Shift + B...
  4. Autocollage 2008 Black Screen instead of image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Autocollage 2008 Black Screen instead of image: I downloaded the software as i had an old key which works. I can choose the pictures and when i click create, it starts the process fine but after the sorting, when it is suppose to provide the final image, it just shows a black image. Its as though the final print has simply...
  5. Autocollage 2008 Black Screen instead of image

Autocollage 2008 Black Screen instead of image: I downloaded the software as i had an old key which works. I can choose the pictures and when i click create, it starts the process fine but after the sorting, when it is suppose to provide the final image, it just shows a black image. Its as though the final print has simply...
  6. Black screen on start up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black screen on start up: Whan I uninstall Classic shell I got a black screen after start up. I'm having a zoom meeting in the next hour so any help would be appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-on-start-up/73de31c1-9737-45c3-9c91-e44c186716a4
  7. Bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Bootloader: Hello I tried to create a USB external SSD portable Ubuntu. I followed the online instructions so as not to affect my bootloader. Guess what, it affected my bootloader . Without doing a clean install is there a way to restore the bootloader which is relatively...
  8. black screen on start up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    black screen on start up: This morning when I booted up my Windows 10 PC I got a black screen. There is a cursor on the screen and when I move the mouse the cursor moves. I can access bios and in bios it is evident the keyboard is connected. However, I cannot access any windows function. I...
  9. Start screen instead of desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start screen instead of desktop: Is there a setting that will always take me to the Start screen instead of to the Desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-screen-instead-of-desktop/73ea9282-4145-4b64-a110-e099d4468998
  10. Black screen instead of desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen instead of desktop: Hi, When I boot my pc sometimes I get a black screen. But by pressing ctr alt & delete I can log out, and then login and its then OK. Can any one please help. I have reset my pc but its still the same. 21458