Windows 10: Black screen issues after updates

Discus and support Black screen issues after updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So far EVERY update in the last 2 years to Windows 10 has created a black screen event on my desktop where nothing but a black screen is visible after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tsunami_Australia, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Black screen issues after updates

So far EVERY update in the last 2 years to Windows 10 has created a black screen event on my desktop where nothing but a black screen is visible after doing the restart. This ONLY happens after updates and EVERY update. I did a reformat only 6months tops ago because that lot of updates just completely killed the OS and it couldn't recover so it's not an old install and not full of small rubbish addon programs (not that I install them anyway).

GA mobo with i7 4770, GA or Asus (can't remember) GTX1070 gfx card, 32gb ram. Operates flawlessly outside of updates and only ever gets reboot perhaps once every couple of months usually because it's that stable when not having a half baked downgrade (update) thrown at it.

I'm ready to dump Windows 10 entirely with this rubbish behaviour as it causes so much down time. So will at this rate be heading back to 8.1 (+start menu addon) or 7 OR TO CENTOS. If this black screen bs can be sorted then fine I'll give it a last try but since you won't allow us to completely 100% ignore updates (which is just ethically very wrong) I'll be forced to go to the other alternatives if it doesn't work.

This mornings episode acted exactly the same as it usually does, just nothing when you restart the computer (well fans and lights but no on-screen action). Press the reset button a couple of times and still nothing. Press the reset button 4th or 5th time and it sometimes comes back sometimes doesn't (didn't last time did this time).

Is there any fix for this behaviour which I see many people are getting or does MS just not care any more? I know your support team for Office365 hosting is rubbish as there's been issues there for over 12months and it's a paid service. I've lost confidence in Microsoft as a whole lately.

:)

Tsunami_Australia, Dec 16, 2018

2. Issue with black screen, dual display, ATI Integrated GPU

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to go to device manager and disable the display drivers, check whether the issue persists or not.

• Press Windows + X keys and click
      Device manager.
    • Click to expand Display adapters, right click the second adapter and click
      Disable.
    • Restart the computer and check whether the issue persists or not.
    • Repeat the same steps to disable the first display adapter and check if it helps.

If you find the issue is with anyone of the display adapters then, I suggest you to update the display drivers from the manufactures website for Windows 10 and check if it helps.

Method 2: I suggest you to follow the steps form the below article for
    “Black Screen” issues and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Dec 16, 2018
  3. Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Dec 16, 2018
  4. Ryan Fra Win User

Black screen issues after updates

Endless black screen without anything but it is on

Hi Basim,

There are several reasons why the screen turns black only. It can be an issue with the software or hardware. Please answer the following questions:

• Are there any major changes made on your computer before the issue started?
    • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps to fix the issue?

For now, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps from this
    link

We are looking forward to your reply.

Ryan Fra, Dec 16, 2018
Thema:

Black screen issues after updates

1. Black screen issues after updates - Similar Threads - Black screen issues

2. Black Screen Issue After Booting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen Issue After Booting.: Hello Microsoft Community,I hope this message finds you well. I'm currently facing an issue with my laptop, and I'm seeking assistance from the community to resolve it. Here are the details:Laptop Model: LENOVO L340Operating System: Windows 11Issue Description: After booting...
  3. Black Screen Issue After Booting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen Issue After Booting.: Hello Microsoft Community,I hope this message finds you well. I'm currently facing an issue with my laptop, and I'm seeking assistance from the community to resolve it. Here are the details:Laptop Model: LENOVO L340Operating System: Windows 11Issue Description: After booting...
  4. Black Screen After Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen After Update: My computer turns on, but there's absolutely nothing on the screen, no cursor, nothing. I've tried everything, including opening the task bar/manager, but nothing shows up.I've connected it to an external monitor and I can see/use my computer from the monitor, but I haven't...
  5. Black screen after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen after update: My pc recently updated windows and now on startup after login, I get a black screen. I still have a cursor and can even open task manager, but the desktop doesn’t load, so I can’t access any of the apps on my computer. I had this problem previously, probably about 2 months...
  6. Black screen after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen after update: My pc recently updated windows and now on startup after login, I get a black screen. I still have a cursor and can even open task manager, but the desktop doesn’t load, so I can’t access any of the apps on my computer. I had this problem previously, probably about 2 months...
  7. Black screen after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after update: In 2019 laptop ran out of battery during an windows update. After rebooting with poweradapter plugged in, my laptop gave black screen. Was working perfectly fine before that.I've tried every possible sollution I could find online, for example:- rolling back the update- ctrl...
  8. Black screen after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after update: Well, basically i formated my laptop and removed everything and i installed windows 10, everything was going fine, 2 days later an update started downloading and after it was finished i restarted my laptop for the update to take effect, so after i login to my account its...
  9. Black screen Issue after updating NVIDIA driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen Issue after updating NVIDIA driver: I have Asus TUF A15 FX506II. It happen many times when I using my laptop for over than 4 hours. The screen suddenly go black and the laptop not responding. I tried to ctrl+alt+del but nothing happen, even I trying to turn on/off the keyboard backlight, nothing happen to the...
  10. Black screen after updating

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after updating: When I try to log into windows, I get a black screen. This randomly fixes, but I noticed it happens after updating windows submitted by /u/Not_derpy_i_swear [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kc3jg6/black_screen_after_updating/