Windows 10: Black screen, keyboard unresponsive, requires PSU off/on to restart

Discus and support Black screen, keyboard unresponsive, requires PSU off/on to restart in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Microsoft Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.719) Occasionally, not seemingly connected to gaming or any particular activity (sometimes even when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by crimson117, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Black screen, keyboard unresponsive, requires PSU off/on to restart

Microsoft Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.719)

Occasionally, not seemingly connected to gaming or any particular activity (sometimes even when computer is idle), my monitor will cut out, my keyboard will freeze up (eg cannot toggle NumLock), and the power buttons on my desktop case will not be responsive.

The fans in my PC will continue running as usual and power will remain on.

The only way I can restart the computer is to shut off the PSU power switch. The power buttons on my case are not responsive.

I don't know how to reproduce this crash. I cannot verify whether it is a true BSOD or something else because the monitor does not work. Unplugging/replugging does not help.

This is a custom built PC. Exact parts listed here: Ryzen 2700X - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0, Phantom 630 ATX Full Tower - PCPartPicker

LCD is connected to the GPU via a displayport cable.

:)

crimson117, Mar 13, 2020

2. Frequent black screen/unresponsive requiring hard boot

Hi,

Please provide more information to help you better:

• Are you getting black screen before sign in or after sign in?
    • Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • Have you installed all the pending Windows updates?

I suggest you to follow the steps form the below article for “Black Screen” issues and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Mar 13, 2020
  3. Screen goes black if the power cord is connected

Hi Tony,

As the screen goes black I suggest you to refer the Microsoft article on
    Troubleshoot black screen problems and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

I also see that you are facing issues with the keyboard this might be due to the corruption of keyboard drivers. I suggest you to run the
    hardware and devices troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps for the same.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    • Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please get back to us with the information required, if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Mar 13, 2020
  4. Black screen, keyboard unresponsive, requires PSU off/on to restart

Keyboard and mouse unresponsive at lock screen

Hi Sean,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

I understand your concern and would suggest you to try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking. Here is the steps:

• Press and hold the shift key while clicking on
      Restart
      at the login Screen (Bottom right corner) > Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Startup Settings>
      Restart >>Choose Enable Safe mode with networking.

If the mouse/keyboard works, then update the Mouse and keyboard driver. Here is the steps:

• Press Windows+X key on your desktop and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate the mouse drivers, expand, right click and click
      on Update.
    If it doesn’t help, then I would suggest you to
    uninstall and re-install the drivers in compatibility mode. Here is the steps:

• Go to your manufacturer’s website
      and download the Driver’s setup file for your computer.
    • Press Windows Key + R on your desktop screen to go to run box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
    • Under Driver, expand, then right click and select
      Uninstall.
    • If you are prompted to Confirm then Confirm.
    • Go to the location where you had saved your downloaded setup files of the drivers and
      right click, then select Properties.
    • Select Compatibility Tab.
    • Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list.
    • Let the driver to install and then check the functionality.
    Keep us informed about the status of the issue and let us know if you need further assistance and we’ll be happy to help you.

Navneet Anand, Mar 13, 2020
Thema:

Black screen, keyboard unresponsive, requires PSU off/on to restart

1. Black screen, keyboard unresponsive, requires PSU off/on to restart - Similar Threads - Black screen keyboard

2. Computer screen turns black while gaming and requires me to flip psu to shut off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer screen turns black while gaming and requires me to flip psu to shut off.: Recently I can’t seem to play any games without an issue occurring. My screen will turn black on both monitors and all my connected devices turn off as well. My gpu fans are no longer spinning by my cpu is still running, and there is a cpu light white debug light on my msi...
  3. Computer screen turns black while gaming and requires me to flip psu to shut off.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer screen turns black while gaming and requires me to flip psu to shut off.: Recently I can’t seem to play any games without an issue occurring. My screen will turn black on both monitors and all my connected devices turn off as well. My gpu fans are no longer spinning by my cpu is still running, and there is a cpu light white debug light on my msi...
  4. Black screen after replacing psu

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Black screen after replacing psu: Hey everybody. My computer started crashing over and over again. Narrowed it down to my psu. I replaced the psu and now everything powers up and stays running but the screen is black. I remember facing an error like this one I was building a computer awhile back and I...
  5. System crashes to black screen with peripherals gone, only turning off PSU let's me restart...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System crashes to black screen with peripherals gone, only turning off PSU let's me restart...: So lately I'm having an issue with my PC. When I play games, it crashes randomly to a black screen, not posting anything to the monitor, the peripherals are gone, sometimes the chassis fans are turned off, somtimes they are still running, but the CPU cooler is always on and...
  6. System crashes to black screen with peripherals gone, only turning off PSU let's me restart...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System crashes to black screen with peripherals gone, only turning off PSU let's me restart...: So lately I'm having an issue with my PC. When I play games, it crashes randomly to a black screen, not posting anything to the monitor, the peripherals are gone, sometimes the chassis fans are turned off, somtimes they are still running, but the CPU cooler is always on and...
  7. Random black screen and unresponsive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random black screen and unresponsive: AMD Ryzen 3 3100G Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2 8GB HyperX Ram 500w Thermaltake PSU 1TB Seagate HDD 240GB PNY SSD Not the first PC I have built but definitely the first time I have run into this issue and I would really appreciate some help! It's for my nephew for Christmas so I...
  8. Black screen, keyboard unresponsive, requires PSU off/on to restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen, keyboard unresponsive, requires PSU off/on to restart: Microsoft Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.719) Occasionally, not seemingly connected to gaming or any particular activity (sometimes even when computer is idle), my monitor will cut out, my keyboard will freeze up (eg cannot toggle NumLock), and the power buttons on...
  9. Unresponsive Black Screen @ Logout

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unresponsive Black Screen @ Logout: Title says it all. It happens randomly and only happens since I’ve upgrade/used Windows 10 on both my desktop and gaming/travel laptop. The monitor acts as if there is nothing to show, no cursor or response to key presses, and the reboot graphics card key combo doesn’t work...
  10. Laptop screen black and unresponsive

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop screen black and unresponsive: I downloaded windows 10 and all had been running smoothly, however, when I turned my laptop on this morning my background was black and about 20 new icons had appeared on the desktop all of which were just white and blank, i normally only have rhe recycle bin. i tried to run...