Windows 10: Black Screen / Login Problem

Discus and support Black Screen / Login Problem in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello there, since a few days I am facing a problem that I would describe as seriously odd... I hope that someone here might be able to guide me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by m.key, Jul 2, 2020.

1. m.key Win User

Black Screen / Login Problem

Hello there,

since a few days I am facing a problem that I would describe as seriously odd... I hope that someone here might be able to guide me towards a solution…

Description of my problem:

Each time I restart my laptop everything works just fine until the moment I have entered my password in order to log in to Windows. After hitting the enter button I see a black screen instead of my desktop.

As soon as I move the mouse, the pointer shows up. The screen remains black apart from the white mouse cursor.

When I press the Windows button, the taskbar and the start menu pop up the rest of the screen remains black. I can even start some programs: I can perform a right-click on the taskbar, the popup menu gets displayed and I can choose the task manager. Windows+E opens the explorer. However, I can see those programs only as small icons in the task bar because the other part of my screen is still black.

Now it gets really strange: When I hover over the small icon of a program in the taskbar e.g. the explorer icon, the micro version of this app pops up and is visible apart from that the screen is still black. When I hover over this micro version of the app, the complete screen turns to normal I can see all open apps + desktop. As soon as my mouse leaves this micro version of the app, the screen turns back to black. When I move my cursor to the position of a window that just has disappeared into black and click on a spot where a button or something else should be, I hear the buzzing Windows alert sound. The same sound appears when I click on any other position of the black screen just as if this black screen would be an additional layer that prevents me from viewing or clicking anything beneath it

This mysterious behavior continues for about 3 – 5 minutes. Then, all of a sudden, everything turns to normal.

Apart from that I noticed the following:

• When I wait some minutes before I log in to windows, the problem does not occur.
    • The problem also does not occur after logging off via Windows+L or after sleep mode. It only occurs after a full restart.
    • As this problem might be related to the login itself, this could be interesting as well: In my account setting I cannot add the PIN option as additional login procedure. When I hit the button to add this option, nothing happens.

What I have tried so far:

1 1. Using Windows+CTRL+Shift+B does not help

2 2. I updated the drivers for

a. Intel® UHD Graphics 620

b. NVIDIA GeForce MX250

3 3. I deactivated the AppReadiness module

4 4. I deinstalled some Windows updates from the past month

My specs:

Lenovo ThinkPad T490

Windows 10 Home 64bit

Intel Core i7-8565U CPU

Do you have any ideas?

Thank you very much for your help!

Michael

:)

m.key, Jul 2, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

black screen

Hi Bart,

It is possible that you're experiencing black screen due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • What happen when you tried to login?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot black screen errors. You can choose which situation you're experiencing the error and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jul 2, 2020
  3. Black screen with cursor after login

Hi Sarthak,

We'd like to verify some information to help us sort out this issue.

• How often do you encounter this problem?
    • Did you receive any error message?

Since you've tried almost all workarounds to address this problem, we suggest that you follow the steps and instructions provided on the link

Troubleshoot black screen problems
    . Let us know if you encounter any issues so we can assist you further.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jul 2, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

black screen

Hi,

To assist you better regarding your concern, we would like to know more information:

• Did you get any error messages?
    • Have you tried updating the drivers?
    We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Sharath Srinivasa on this

link

You can also check the article about troubleshooting black screen problems on the link below.

windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope this information helps. Please post us back if you need any further assistance.

Remon Ont, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Black Screen / Login Problem - Similar Threads - Black Screen Login

2. The login Black screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    The login Black screen: I booted up my computer up and it did come up with loading screen, but then it came up with a black screen just with the mouse. I waited like 10 minutes and it showed the login screen / the startup screen. Then i did swipe up on the login screen and it went black again. Then...
  3. Login and black screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login and black screen: Hello, First excuse my poor english. Since WINDOWS 10 1903 update, I noticed following behaviour on both my Deskop and Laptop. 1. When I'm disconnecting, a black screen is displayed during about 75 sec before the welcome screen is displayed. 2. When another session is...
  4. Black Login Screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black Login Screen: Good day My laptop is either giving a black screen when I try to log in, or it has a problem booting up. I have tried several solutions and they all failed. I am unable to access the task manager nor any other way I found online. Your help will be greately...
  5. Black screen before login screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen before login screen: Hello everyone. I have recently experienced a problem with Windows 10. Whenever I select Windows 10 (I have dual-boot configuration, the other OS is Ubuntu), it normally boots and I hear the startup sound. I also see the mouse indicator and I can sometimes control it, yet...
  6. Black Screen Before Login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Black Screen Before Login: After the update of october 2018 update 1809 my laptop is having a problem of black screen before the sign in page. It takes around 8 to 10 seconds to show the lock screen. I don't know what's the problem. I feel so annoying as this is a brand new laptop with 8gb ram and i5...
  7. Windows black screen at login screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows black screen at login screen: If you can log in via safe mode one of the solutions is to turn off use sign-in info to auto finish setting up device after update or restart in Windows 10.For Windows 10 (Version 1709), select the Start button, select Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options, then make sure Use...
  8. Black screen before login screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen before login screen: The black screen occurs before login screen. It happens randomly. I have to move the mouse (haven't tried pressing keyboard) and it will show the login screen and windows will continue normally. On my device driver it shows only 1 display adapter that is NVIDIA GTX 970. My...
  9. Black screen at login

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen at login: After I sleep my computer, sometimes the screen is just black with my cursor. I can still do the basic functions like turn brightness down and move my cursor around, but I cannot login or see any graphics. Sleeping again doesn't fix the problem, all I can do is force shut...
  10. Windows 10 black screen -before- login screen problem.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 black screen -before- login screen problem.: I upgraded a desktop computer from Windows 7 ultimate to Windows 10 and there seems to be an annoying black screen issue which happens before the login screen. After the Windows loading logo, the screen stays black for about 60-80 seconds (and all I can see is the mouse...