Windows 10: Black Screen, No Cursor (Multiple Categories)

Discus and support Black Screen, No Cursor (Multiple Categories) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all. This is a weird, convoluted set of circumstances so please bear with me. This past December my custom built computer, last rebuilt in 2013,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Webbstre, May 4, 2019.

1. Webbstre Win User

Black Screen, No Cursor (Multiple Categories)

Hello all. This is a weird, convoluted set of circumstances so please bear with me.

This past December my custom built computer, last rebuilt in 2013, suddenly Black Screened on me. Everything was up to date, no signs of weirdness before that. I turned the computer on, but it never appeared to finish loading windows, only showing a Black screen with no cursor. It is worth noting I have been using Windows 10 and keeping it updated (with a couple fresh installs since then) since the Windows 10 beta let me upgrade for free from Windows 7.

A few reboots later, I managed to get to the login screen, input my credentials, and see my desktop for the last time (this only happened once). After a few seconds the screen blinked Black a few times, and then went black again. A few more restarted later I got to the login screen but it black screened me again. After that the system never made it to the login screen again.

I was busy at the time, and by coincidence I had ordered a brand new HP Omen 15 laptop just a few days before, so I wasn't freaking out about it. I opened it up, yanked out my large storage HDD so I could use it as an external drive for the new computer. Then on the older Black Screened computer I tried wiping the entire main SDD, formatted it, and then tried to install again. There was a point (shortly after you choose not to use Cortana or One Drive, on the install screen with multiple options, like using Location and such) the screen went Black again.

After a few more tries of this, I gave up for the time being. After all, I had all my important files in the Cloud or on my external drive, and a brand new computer arriving.

My best guesses at that time:
    -Probably not the Power Supply or the Motherboard, as the BIOS screen loads with no problems, and I can still boot from USB or a DVD/Bluray.
    -Unlikely to be the graphics card because the display works correctly from the BIOS
    -Possibly the SDD drive failing as I haven't experienced that yet.

Jump to the last few days. I had an old Windows 7 install disk so I put that in, and everything installed correctly, save for virtually no drivers working. After a quick USB fix for network access, the system worked with no problem. That seems to rule out all hardware problems, so I made a fresh install USB and tried to wipe the drive and do another fresh Windows 10 install.

Once again, I reach the same settings screen during install listed above, and the screen goes black. Reboots also load to a black screen. BIOS loads fine. Still no cursor.

I have no error codes and very little to go off of here. This system was working perfectly for years before mysteriously this happens. Anyone have any idea?

:)

Webbstre, May 4, 2019

2. Multiple monitors black screen with cursor

Hi Flagellum,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

We have been seeing black screen issues of several types after upgrading to Windows 10. The main causes observed so far are driver issues, output to unexpected port, and possibly also issues with the Lock Screen app. Please use these steps:

If you see the black screen only after sign-in
    and you can see a mouse cursor:

• While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.

• If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab and ending the task.

• If this resolves the black screen, then perform the following Powershell command-

Re-register all Windows Store Apps by running the following commands in a CMD window started as Administrator:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register

"$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Repair damaged Windows files:

Run the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool which fixes the Windows corruption error if there are any. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows+X.

• Click on Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type the command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
          and hit Enter.

• Run Sfc /scannow

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

You can follow the steps in the following article:

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot
    Let us know the results and write for further assistance and we’ll be glad to help.

Navneet Anand, May 4, 2019
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, May 4, 2019
  4. jds63 Win User

Black Screen after Log on

So this is not a BSOD ? Have a Windows 10 disc or USB Flash Drive made ? How are you getting to task manager Ctrl.+Alt+Del ? Any cursor on screen ?

jds63, May 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Black Screen, No Cursor (Multiple Categories) - Similar Threads - Black Screen Cursor

2. Black Screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen with cursor: Hello,tonight I install the 22H2 update all fine and turn off the PC, today I turn on and after the boot I get black screen with cursor blinking in the top left corner, what's happening?From pc boot menu it's the same, I select the SSD disk and nothing happens... Note: If I...
  3. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with cursor: Hello,I have a problem with my computer. When I turn it on, the screen is black and I can only see the cursor. I've found that this question has been asked before like in here:...
  4. Black screen with a cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen with a cursor: When I turn on my pc Windows 10 all I see is a black screen but I can see the cursor and I cant open task manager and can’t start it using safe mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-with-a-cursor/31c6ac8e-7e78-4b45-99dc-6f9d4422757d
  5. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen with cursor: My computer won't start up. It gets past the Acer screen, then it goes to a black screen where I can only see the cursor. I think this started after the most recent Windows 10 update. I go into Troubleshoot and then Advanced Options, but nothing works there. I've tried...
  6. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen with cursor: I have installed windows 10 and after login there's only black screen with a cursor. I haven't installed any apps on it and I have no idea what could've caused it. I have tried various fixes but none work. I can open task manager. When I try to run explorer task it appears...
  7. Black Screen With Cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen With Cursor: Hello, So today I turned on my computer and it was updating and sec later the power went off. When I turned it back again it asked me to select my keyboard language after that it showed me some options like troubleshoot so I clicked at troubleshoot and selected startup...
  8. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Black screen with cursor: Living in Fear: Updated to Ten (Gateway SX-2800), it worked for a month. After an update came black screen with cursor. TenForum solution (3 shutdowns before full start) and restart fixed. Updated video and other drivers. Another update event, happened again, this time...
  9. Black screen with cursor.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen with cursor.: Hi, I am prajwal , my PC is facing a problem.when I installed drivers in my PC, after that screen had become black with cursor , I could not able to do anything, I can't see task manager too.So I want to format my PC.But I want to back up all my stuffs.What and how I should...
  10. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen with cursor: My Windows 10 was running perfectly well for one full week. Then this morning I noticed it installed some update and after reboot the screen went black and the cursor appeared. I tried every thing but nothing helped. I cannot even access the troubleshooting, bios, repair,...