Windows 10: black screen now hard disc/boot failure

Discus and support black screen now hard disc/boot failure in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Partner bought me a Lenovo Ipad320 just over a year a This was seldom used, the odd internet search and some Microsoft online games, solitaire etc to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Noosmum, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Noosmum Win User

black screen now hard disc/boot failure

Partner bought me a Lenovo Ipad320 just over a year a This was seldom used, the odd internet search and some Microsoft online games, solitaire etc to wind down. I'd go off to make a cup of tea come back and the screen would be black and it would seem to have gone in to 'hibernation'. Often it would come back up and you'd have to force a shut down from the power button and start back up from scratch.

Eventually I got so fed up of restarting it, I contacted Lenovo one day when I couldn't get it to restart and the power completely went. Support suggested a NOVO button on the side which eventually allowed me to start it up.

The black screen kept happening, I changed the screen settings to prevent it hibernating selecting 2 hours, but again, often I'd pop off to get a drink, do some washing, little things of less than 20 mins and I'd come back to a black screen and have to completely reboot.

A few weeks back the screen went black again one Saturday morning and wouldn't come back on even after rebooting. I tried leaving it to run the battery down and then fully recharge it, still nothing. Tried the NOVO button again (as previously suggested by Lenovo support) still nothing. Eventually after looking online I tried connecting the laptop to our desktop monitor as some posts had suggested it may be the display. Voila, a greyish black screen and eventually the Lenovo logo and then..... c:\ drive repair recovery 0%.... This eventually got to 100% after about 7 hours and I just happened to be passing the computer as it hit 100% and saw it go straight to 0 and start again, and again

I contacted Lenovo who suggested a static discharge and then a system reboot via the NOVO button. Nothing worked. They offered to take look, so I sent it off to them only to discover it needs a main board and HDD according to the £402 repair estimate Lenovo have sent me as they state they can't repair it as its out of warranty now.

Have never had problems with our desktop (over 20 years old) nor my work Dell which is Windows 10. Whilst I can turn on and operate a computer, I have no technical knowledge whatsoever so when the problem initially occurred I relied on Lenovo support's knowledge. Was the repeated black screen problem a sign it was faulty at the outset or just plain bad luck when it went off one day and the whole laptop failed?

As the repair estimate is more than it cost new, was thinking of just getting a new machine as have lost all faith in this one. Any advice?

:)

Noosmum, Mar 13, 2019
  2. HoytElrod Win User

Windows 10 Start up black screen with a disc 0 seek failure

problem started several days ago when my PC went to a black DELL bios screen with the F2 and F12 options but wouldn't proceed to the sign-in screen automatically as it normally did. After playing around with setup & then resorting to cont-alt-del I got
    a black screen with a disc 0 seek failure. I made some suggested changes to the boot sequence and now get a normal start-up sequence except for a 20 sec black screen with a message in upper left corner: 1D 09 7A 79 21 GU1D: 44454C4C 3000 104D 8052 B1C045434631;
    then it goes to the normal sign-in screen. What's up??

HoytElrod, Mar 13, 2019
  3. jds63 Win User
    Black Screen after Log on

So this is not a BSOD ? Have a Windows 10 disc or USB Flash Drive made ? How are you getting to task manager Ctrl.+Alt+Del ? Any cursor on screen ?

jds63, Mar 13, 2019
  4. black screen now hard disc/boot failure

Frequent black screen/unresponsive requiring hard boot

Hi,

Please provide more information to help you better:

• Are you getting black screen before sign in or after sign in?
    • Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • Have you installed all the pending Windows updates?

I suggest you to follow the steps form the below article for “Black Screen” issues and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

black screen now hard disc/boot failure

1. black screen now hard disc/boot failure - Similar Threads - black screen hard

2. Video TDR Failure, Pc Screen is Black on boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video TDR Failure, Pc Screen is Black on boot: So, i was doinfg some work on adobe after effects and after that i got a bsod saying Video TDR Failure. Now my PC screen is Balck on boot nothing shows up even the boot menu is not showing up. Its just completly black after i press the start button...
  3. Video TDR Failure, Pc Screen is Black on boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video TDR Failure, Pc Screen is Black on boot: So, i was doinfg some work on adobe after effects and after that i got a bsod saying Video TDR Failure. Now my PC screen is Balck on boot nothing shows up even the boot menu is not showing up. Its just completly black after i press the start button...
  4. booting to black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    booting to black screen: Hi everyone.minor issue to be honest but its getting tedious so im hoping some can shed some light.any time i boot my lptop up, it loads to a black screen. the only temporary fix ive found is to hard power down nd reboot, everything else works fine once its loaded but its...
  5. Disc cleanup failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disc cleanup failure: Disc cleanup stalls halfway through initial scan. Advice much appreciated about what to do to correct this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disc-cleanup-failure/48d4ee4d-9fb0-44f7-84ea-e38a85250d64
  6. Disc cleanup failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disc cleanup failure: Disc cleanup stalls halfway through initial scan. Advice much appreciated about what to do to correct this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disc-cleanup-failure/48d4ee4d-9fb0-44f7-84ea-e38a85250d64
  7. hard disc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard disc: i bought a windows 10 machine and hadon C:Drive 117 gb of hard drive, i also have an extra on new Volume of E:Drive 1.36 TB my Question is i am running out on my C:Drive, HOW DO I GET TO USE THE E:Drive which holds 1.36 TB. i can not get to it as it will not let me get in...
  8. Black screen on boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen on boot: When I try to boot up my pc, it goes straight to a black screen, no display whatsoever. I've tried restarting it 3 times in a row. The closest I've got was mashing F12 which gave me a few beeps then nothing. What else can I do?...
  9. Changed a hard drive, now Windows logs in but screen is black

in Windows 10 Support
    Changed a hard drive, now Windows logs in but screen is black: I swapped my storage drive last night and now Windows logs in to a black screen and I can't do much of anything with it. The drive I swapped was a 2TB HDD with no part of Windows on it. I did have a swap file and File History folder on it, plus some library locations were...
  10. Win10 updated, now black screen and won't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 updated, now black screen and won't boot: Hello, I'm using a HP Pavilion laptop, not sure on the specs. The other day an update was installed and it auto-restarted. When I went to restart again it showed there were more updates to install. After a few minutes of them being installed it went to a black screen....