Windows 10: Black Screen of Doom but Booted to login screen (no cursor just blank)

Discus and support Black Screen of Doom but Booted to login screen (no cursor just blank) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey everyone. I did a bit of research and this seems to have been an issue for a while, or has been in the past. Was upgrading to windows 10, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by factordog, Jan 17, 2016.

1. factordog Win User

Black Screen of Doom but Booted to login screen (no cursor just blank)

Hey everyone.

I did a bit of research and this seems to have been an issue for a while, or has been in the past. Was upgrading to windows 10, I first had to restart my pc cause it was initially stuck on that preparing to install problem with the green bar being stuck around 25%.

It then got through that and began the installation process with the big circle and rebooting process. However around 91% when I last looked at it it was just black screen, this stayed this way for about 3-4 hours. I then decided to reboot the pc and it has now booted to the login screen. Is this a known bug or could there be a possible issue?

The problem seems a bit different as some people I saw have had to fall back on PC restore points etc. So not sure if it installed or what could be the problem.

Also side note, I upgraded my pc when windows 10 first publically released, but rolled back because I had about 5min shutdown times. So not sure what is going on and any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

:)

factordog, Jan 17, 2016
  2. EGStein Win User

Windows 10 Black Screen with cursor before login

So yesterday I just installed the Windows 10 update with no issues. But when I booted up my computer it is black screen with a cursor and there was no login screen. Please help!!!!!

EGStein, Jan 17, 2016
  3. Crockin Win User
    Windows blank screen after login

My PC boots up normally, gets to the login screen, I type my password and the screen just goes blank/black with no cursor. I can press ctrl+alt+delete and start task manager and then it opens and my desktop appears, and windows looks and runs completely
    normally. UNLESS I close or minimise task manager, and then screen goes black again.

Any ideas? Searching the Internet and I can't see anything similar, I feel like it's something to do with explorer maybe.

Crockin, Jan 17, 2016
  4. Private Win User

I never had a problem upgrading like you've experienced but I experiencing Windows 10 upgrading process is the longest time taken ever compared to previous versions. It took me 1 hour+ to finished.

Play around a little bit to get used to it then did a clean install. No problem arise, seems working fine.

The point is, problems always happen after upgrading, to solve it just perform installation from scratch (clean install).

Private, Jan 17, 2016
  5. factordog Win User
    Cool might have to pop onto their site and use the media creation tool then. How does it verify if you have a legitimate copy of windows 8?

factordog, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Black Screen of Doom but Booted to login screen (no cursor just blank) - Similar Threads - Black Screen Doom

2. Blank Screen with Cursor after Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank Screen with Cursor after Login: I just installed the most recent cumulative update for Microsoft Windows 10 on my laptop late last week. Since that time, whenever I login it dumps me onto a blank screen with no desktop icons or taskbar, but there is a cursor, and I can run chrome and probably other apps...
  3. Blank Screen with Cursor after Login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank Screen with Cursor after Login: I just installed the most recent cumulative update for Microsoft Windows 10 on my laptop late last week. Since that time, whenever I login it dumps me onto a blank screen with no desktop icons or taskbar, but there is a cursor, and I can run chrome and probably other apps...
  4. Blank Screen with Cursor after Login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Blank screen with cursor after login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blank screen with cursor after login: Hi all, I'm having a total nightmare and I'm hoping someone can suggest a fix. My main windows account seems to be very broken, when I try to log in I just get a black screen with a cursor. Ctrl + Alt + Del works but if I select task manager I get an hour glass briefly then...
  6. Computer boots to black or blank screen with blinking cursor

in Windows 10 News
    Computer boots to black or blank screen with blinking cursor: [ATTACH]When you boot a computer, and all it shows is a black or blank screen with a blinking cursor (it may look like an underscore), […] This article Computer boots to black or blank screen with blinking cursor first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Black Screen with cursor before login screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black Screen with cursor before login screen: Title. Every time I boot up my pc, it begins with the motherboard loading screen thing as normal and then into a black screen with only my cursor visible. CTRL + ALT + DEL doesn’t do anything so I don’t know what else to try. Manually shutting down my pc by holding the power...
  8. Screen blank at boot no cursor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen blank at boot no cursor: When I boot, I get a blank screen (w/o cursor). I tried booting into safe mode without success. Computer is Windows 10 originally. I tried using sfc command. Nothing found. Monitor is working. I removed ssd and replaced with another. I could only restore image with one two...
  9. Black screen no cursor or login

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen no cursor or login: My Samsung laptop is technically switched on in the sense that it has power, however when I switch it on there is no login screen, no screen with the samsung logo, and no cursor. No matter how many buttons I press or how often I switch it on and off, it remains the same -...
  10. Black Screen + Cursor at Login

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen + Cursor at Login: Greetings all, I had a critical update take place today and when I login now I get a black screen with only a cursor on my main PC. I am unable to revert using the usual options available (system restore, startup repair, etc.) as all are failing. Has anyone else got nuked...