Windows 10: Black screen on boot but only on secondary monitors

Discus and support Black screen on boot but only on secondary monitors in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Brand new guy with a question: I have a Dell Inspiron 13 connected via a Kensington SD 4000 dock to two external monitors. When I am in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RichardMiami, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Black screen on boot but only on secondary monitors

Brand new guy with a question:

I have a Dell Inspiron 13 connected via a Kensington SD 4000 dock to two external monitors.

When I am in my office, the laptop is connected to the dock, and the lid is closed.

Everything works fine, EXCEPT when I restart (or just boot up)

On restart - the laptop boots, but the secondary monitors (both) get a black screen - I can see the mouse cursor but nothing else.

The quick "solution" is to open the laptop lid and close it again. This immediately brings the lock screen up to my secondary monitors and then everything is perfectly normal.

What I want to happen is no black screen, just boot up to my secondary monitors. This used to happen, but something changed and I can not figure out what.

What I have checked:

The display drivers are up to date. This is an Intel HD Graphics520

The docking station driver and firmware is up to date

The Power Saver plans are all set to DO NOTHING WHEN PLUGGED IN, and to normal power saver type settings when on battery.

I have been on Win 10 for a while, and this problem is recent.

All updates are current.

Rolling back the display driver did not change anything. It is now back up to date.

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

:)

RichardMiami, Feb 26, 2016

2. Windows 10 - no boot - black screen after logo

All the answers that I have seen assume that I can windows and commands on my screen. I have a laptop and the screen remains black if I boot to the USB. If I connect a second monitor, Windows treats the second monitor as an extension of the main monitor
    but will not allow me to open windows to change display or driver settings.

It appears that Windows does not recognize the display on my laptop, treats a non-existent monitor as the primary monitor, and the my real secondary monitor as the secondary monitor. Without visual access to a primary monitor, I can do nothing.

SteveSanderfoot, Feb 26, 2016
  3. RyanHir Win User
    Windows 10 Black screen with cursor.

I also had only the cursor and black screen before sign-in. Once I disconnected the secondary HDMI display (to TV, primary is DVI to monitor) the DVI screen displayed correctly.

RyanHir, Feb 26, 2016
Thema:

Black screen on boot but only on secondary monitors

1. Black screen on boot but only on secondary monitors - Similar Threads - Black screen boot

2. Touch screen connected as secondary monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touch screen connected as secondary monitor.: Touch screen connected as secondary monitor when needed !And always my primary monitor sets as touch screen.Any possibilities to change this -> To set up specific monitor with touch support be as touch screen forever?Always i do when I need secondary monitor:I connecting...
  3. Touch screen connected as secondary monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touch screen connected as secondary monitor.: Touch screen connected as secondary monitor when needed !And always my primary monitor sets as touch screen.Any possibilities to change this -> To set up specific monitor with touch support be as touch screen forever?Always i do when I need secondary monitor:I connecting...
  4. Secondary monitor has black screen while main is fine.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary monitor has black screen while main is fine.: Same problem as the 3 threads below noticed all 3 locked w/o solution: Secondary monitor has black screen while main is fine. Both monitors are detected and has its recommended resolution settings. Re-installed manufacturer drivers and forced windows to use it Mine was LG...
  5. Blank Screen on Wake With Secondary Monitor

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Blank Screen on Wake With Secondary Monitor: Hi everyone, I'm having this issue intermittently where upon startup my laptop screen doesn't wake but my secondary monitor wakes up and is fully functionable. If I restart my computer with my monitor attached by HDMI the problem remains. If I unplug the monitor and do a...
  6. Main monitor causing black screen on both my main monitor and secondary monitor

Main monitor causing black screen on both my main monitor and secondary monitor: As the title says, my main monitor is connected via hdmi and the secondary via DVI. Have been using both monitors for years, was working fine up until a few days ago. Computer would boot but neither neither screen came on, waited until my system auto logged on and tried...
  7. Secondary Monitor Not displaying black screen

Secondary Monitor Not displaying black screen: I have two monitors , both using Display port . The right one black screen is on and detected but isn't displaying anything , cursor disappears like it should but cannot see it or anything else . It is also in vertical orientation any clues to fixing it ?...
  8. Samsung S24D300 secondary monitor black screen

Samsung S24D300 secondary monitor black screen: Hello, Two months ago I got a secondary monitor (Samsung S24D300) for my laptop (Toshiba Satellite c55). Setup was a breeze, and I had everything up and running right away. I have had no problems until this morning, when I sat down at my computer this morning, and found...
  9. Secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Secondary monitor: Recently I bought a slightly larger monitor and planned to use the older one as a secondary monitor. I went in via 'Display Settings' but have managed to screw things up and I've ended up making this smaller monitor the primary one. How might I reverse this and thus make the...
  10. Windows boots on secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boots on secondary monitor: Hello, I'm having an issue were the bios splash screen/Windows will boot up on the secondary monitor and then will go to the main so i can login.. i find this to be annoying and not only that.. it gives me an issue where if i alt tab out of my games.. it claims i have no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. boot secondary-monitor black