Windows 10: Black Screen On Boot or Freezing at Logon Screen

Discus and support Black Screen On Boot or Freezing at Logon Screen in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I just performed a complete, clean installation of Windows 10 x64 on my upgraded PC. I have a strange issue where my PC now freezes up at the logon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DavidChun2, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Black Screen On Boot or Freezing at Logon Screen

I just performed a complete, clean installation of Windows 10 x64 on my upgraded PC. I have a strange issue where my PC now freezes up at the logon screen. I have an MSI MPG Gaming Edge motherboard and so when I boot up my PC, the EDGE logo comes up, and then the blue squares windows logo comes up. Then, it goes to the main Windows Logon screen. Typically, I can hit a button and enter my PIN to log on, but the PC is frozen. I can't click anything no cursor, the ethernet connection shows as being disconnected, and none of my keyboard inputs are registering. Then, automatically, my PC will restart itself. Upon restart, I can logon and I'm fine to use the PC the rest of the day without issue.

I recently did another clean installation, and now I get a black screen after the four square windows logo. Again, no response to hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL or any mouse movement, just a black screen. This time, I have to press the power button on my PC in order for it to restart, upon which my PC will run fine for the rest of the day.

The odd thing about my issue is that it only happens upon first start up of every day. I've tried to unplug everything, disconnect CMOS battery, etc. and I cannot get the freezing to replicate itself. However, the very next morning, I'll power up my PC and it will freeze again.

I've tried:

- Reinstalling ALL drivers from the manufacturer's websites

- Updated my BIOS on both motherboard and video card

- Turned off fast boot in Windows

- Removed and replaced the RAM

- Disconnected all hardware and re-installed everything

- Windows Update

- I've tried clean boot and safe mode, but again, since it only happens on the first start up of every day, this is really no use

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I want to note that I upgraded from the AMD FX-8350 CPU setup to my current Intel i7-9700K setup. I am using the same copy of Windows and have it activated on my Microsoft account so I don't think there's any issue with my copy of Windows it was originally purchased at MicroCenter anyway. I never experienced anything like this when I had my FX-8350 setup.

:)

DavidChun2, Apr 28, 2020
  2. zplugger Win User

Black Screen after Log on

Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on what my next step should be?*Sad

zplugger, Apr 28, 2020
  3. NdMk2o1o Win User
    New Crossfire setup black screen after windows logon

Need some help, I have just installed a 2nd Sapphire VaporX 7950, both cards are plugged and are connected with 1 crossfire connector. PC powers on fine and gets to the Windows logon screen then the screen goes black, any ideas what the issue is?

NdMk2o1o, Apr 28, 2020
  4. Black Screen On Boot or Freezing at Logon Screen

Black Screen Isuue in Window 10

Hi kashish,

I would appreciate you for trying troubleshooting steps.

To understand the issue better, I request you to answer few questions:

• Does black screen appear when you before user login’s or after user has logged in ?
    • Does black screen appears when you lock your pc?
    This problem occurs because of a change in the behavior of Win Logon and Logon UI. This change introduces the potential for the deadlock.

I would also suggest you to install all the updates available for the system and check if it helps.

Follow the Below steps:

• Type settings in the Search area on the taskbar and select Settings
    • Select Update and Security.
    • Click on Windows Update and select Check for Updates

Keep us posted with the status of the issue. We’ll be glad to assist if you need further assistance.

Thank you

Sujay Balraj, Apr 28, 2020
Thema:

Black Screen On Boot or Freezing at Logon Screen

1. Black Screen On Boot or Freezing at Logon Screen - Similar Threads - Black Screen Boot

2. My laptop freezes and boots with black screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop freezes and boots with black screen.: My laptop is freezing and then when I force shut down and turn on it boots and the screen does too but the screen just shows black. And sometimes when I turn it on it does turn on and shows normal screen but it's already frozen. I have reinstalled windows, tried CMOS reset,...
  3. My laptop freezes and boots with black screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop freezes and boots with black screen.: My laptop is freezing and then when I force shut down and turn on it boots and the screen does too but the screen just shows black. And sometimes when I turn it on it does turn on and shows normal screen but it's already frozen. I have reinstalled windows, tried CMOS reset,...
  4. Changing Boot & Logon Screens

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Boot & Logon Screens: I'm making a theme for myself & have a few questions: 1. How do I change the Windows 10 Boot Screen & can I have it show a different image each time? 2. How do I change the Windows 10 Logon/Lock Screen & can I have it show a different image each time? 171585
  5. Black screen after User logon

Black screen after User logon: Hi Iam facing “black screen” issue after user logon. I have two users in my laptop one is microsoft account user that needs pin to login and other local user account. When i try to login using microsoft user account iam getting black screen after logon only cursor moving....
  6. Freeze and black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freeze and black screen: I got a new motherboard Mask b450 tomohawk max And I paired it with ryzen 3 1200, rx570 4gb Corsair vengeance lpx 2x8 3000mhz I used a fresh install of Windows using the tool Updated the pc and installed and updated every driver But be every now and again after about an hour...
  7. Black Screen and Freezing

Black Screen and Freezing: Hello Long after startup when my computer is just running applications will suddenly be Not Responding and the screen will go black, but does eventually load. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-and-freezing/69e80997-de94-4bcd-9daa-f5fb3415ea6c
  8. black screen with curser after logon

black screen with curser after logon: How do you fix this problem. After bootup, logon screen comes up. After entering password, screen loads blank or black with curser only. Tried shell reset to explorer.exe. What else can I try?...
  9. Black screen and freezes?

Black screen and freezes?: Other day was playing a game and all the sudden the screen went black and the keyboard froze. It was lit up but neither the numlock nor capslock would light up. Reset the computer and kept going into a boot loop. Was going to reinstall windows on a fresh install. Tried...
  10. Black screen freeze

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen freeze: When I launch a game I have to wait like a minute until it launches after that a black screen appears, no sound and i cant do anything. I tried pressing windows key l, alt tabbing, ctrl+alt+delete, alt+f4 nothing helps only power button. I have all the latest drivers, did a...