Windows 10: Black screen on start up with no taskbar or start menu and command prompt opens with a...

Discus and support Black screen on start up with no taskbar or start menu and command prompt opens with a... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, whenever I turn on my computer I am met with a black screen and a command prompt error. I am able to run task manager to open chrome, though... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kube_1, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Kube_1 Win User

Black screen on start up with no taskbar or start menu and command prompt opens with a...

Hello, whenever I turn on my computer I am met with a black screen and a command prompt error. I am able to run task manager to open chrome, though when running "explorer" or "explorer.exe" the cursor changes to a loading cursor without anything opening. After about 10 minutes of being unable to access anything in the start up menu or settings/ file explorer / most system and downloaded apps, multiple file explorer windows open delayed response to the "start explorer.exe" command. This black screen happens every time I turn on my computer and is extremely annoying. Also, when trying to open settings from command prompt, you are met with an error message. It is possible to open files with "%appdata% , and the go to "This Pc", but when you click on "Open Settings" in file explorer, you are met with yet another error message. This is incredibly annoying having to go through this 10 minute long process after which everything returns to normal every time I turn on my computer, please can someone help.

P.S. since this problem started, event viewer shows 60,000 errors from "Service Control Manager" - Event ID 7023 in the last week.

:)

Kube_1, Dec 13, 2020

2. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, Dec 13, 2020
  3. Taskbar hides and shows itself after opening start menu.

Steps:

1. Using HDMI for a second monitor.
    2. Open start menu using the icon.
    3. Close start menu using the icon.
    4. Click anywhere other than the task bars. (e.g. an open window, the desktop, even the first monitor's desktop)
    5. Taskbar on second monitor slides down to be hidden.
    6. Taskbar then immediately slides up to reappear.

If after closing the start menu (step 3), you click on the taskbar, then click outside the taskbar, this behavior does not occur.

Performing the steps on the main monitor's taskbar does not produce this behavior.

This has been happening for as long as I can remember using this laptop (~3years), with different nVidia drivers and Windows 10 updates.

Dreaming Void, Dec 13, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Black screen on start up with no taskbar or start menu and command prompt opens with a...

Start menu > Windows Sytem > Command Prompt missing

Now this all makes sense . . . somehow MeshlabServer remaps/hijacks all CMD shortcuts to its command line utility

Here is a working solution that will bypass this MeshLabServer Hijacking:

• If you want to add Command Prompt to your Start Menu
    • Navigate to C:\Windows\SysWOW64
    • Scroll down to find cmd.exe
    • Right click and choose 'Pin to Start', 'Pin to Taskbar' or 'Create Shortcut - send to Desktop'

DaveM121, Dec 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Black screen on start up with no taskbar or start menu and command prompt opens with a... - Similar Threads - Black screen start

2. Command prompt won't open from Advanced start-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command prompt won't open from Advanced start-up: I'm trying to update my pc to Windows 11, and I know my hardware is fully compatible. Most guides advise one to run mbr2gpt from the Advanced start-up's Command prompt, but whenever I try to do that, my computer simply reboots after I select Command prompt from the Advanced...
  3. Command prompt won't open from Advanced start-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Command prompt won't open from Advanced start-up: I'm trying to update my pc to Windows 11, and I know my hardware is fully compatible. Most guides advise one to run mbr2gpt from the Advanced start-up's Command prompt, but whenever I try to do that, my computer simply reboots after I select Command prompt from the Advanced...
  4. Command prompt won't open from Advanced start-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up: Hi there,I have a problem with my pc.When i start up windows 10, i can log-in and i get to my desktop, but my start menu and taskbar still need to load in for 5-10 mins. Ive tried resetting the pc, getting a new one and using windows 11 bypass TPM 2.0 and secure boot on...
  6. Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up: Hi there,I have a problem with my pc.When i start up windows 10, i can log-in and i get to my desktop, but my start menu and taskbar still need to load in for 5-10 mins. Ive tried resetting the pc, getting a new one and using windows 11 bypass TPM 2.0 and secure boot on...
  7. Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. cannot access command prompt or command prompt (admin) from start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot access command prompt or command prompt (admin) from start menu: I was using Pinnacle Studio when it froze. On rebooting I discovered I had to reinstall my drivers for video and audio. I decided to use SFC /Scannow to check Windows. I discovered I could no longer access cannot access command prompt or command prompt (admin) by right...
  9. Windows opens with command prompt and a black screen.

Windows opens with command prompt and a black screen.: When I switch on my laptop. It opens with a command prompt screen and a black background, i.e. dekstop is not visible. On closing command prompt the black screen remains and the only function that works is Alt+Ctrl+delete. Please help.[IMG]...
  10. Windows starts up with a black screen and CMD prompt.

Windows starts up with a black screen and CMD prompt.: Hello, yesterday I removed a miner off my PC and today this happened. The miner I removed was called SoundMixer utility, it infected CMD so everytime I tried starting it, it would mine. My cpu took a hit allowing me to notice it. I removed it from regedit as well....