Windows 10: Black screen on startup after Windows 10 shut down

Discus and support Black screen on startup after Windows 10 shut down in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there When I shut down my desktop and then want to start it up again I get a black screen. I do not see the mouse cursor. I just get a black... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kibbeth, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Kibbeth Win User

Black screen on startup after Windows 10 shut down

Hi there

When I shut down my desktop and then want to start it up again I get a black screen. I do not see the mouse cursor. I just get a black screen.

The way I get around this is to hit F12 during the start up sequence and then once I am in the Boot mode I have to change from the Windows Boot Manager to UEFI OS which is the second choice under UEFI boot.

I have tried changing the Boot mode setting to the UEFI OS with no luck. I get the choice of Legacy boot mode, secure boot off and UEFI boot mode, secure boot off. It has Boot mode currently listed to UEFI, Secure boot On. However when I originally get into the boot menu it has windows boot manager listed as my first choice.

I don't always get this occurring, on a restart it tends to go straight to my sign in screen and sometimes (very rare) I need to do a hard shut down twice to get to my start up screen. I was wondering if it could be a RAM issue, once the computer has been shut down the RAM clears and doesn't remember what I want it to do?

My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, the driver is up to date

I am running Windows 10 home version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

The computer is a Dell XPS 8700 x54 Based PC

Processor is an Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4Cor...

Any help with this would be great, sure the work around works, but I have to wonder if there isn't a deeper underlying issue at stake?

:)

Kibbeth, Aug 12, 2018
  2. Arul_D Win User

Black Screen on Startup

Hello,

Could you please answer few questions:

• When you say “Now, nothing is on my desktop” what exactly are you referring to?

• Are you getting black screen after Sign in?
    If you are getting black screen after sign in, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the below help article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Arul_D, Aug 12, 2018
  3. Black screen in windows 10 on startup

Hi Willu,

Getting a black screen on startup may imply a problem with the display adapter, having an outdated driver, or could be that it was just finalizing the recent upgrade. To help sort out and address this problem, we suggest that you follow the steps provided
    in the link,
    Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

Please update us with the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Aug 12, 2018
  4. Black screen on startup after Windows 10 shut down

Windows 10 black screen at startup

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community. I will certainly assist you with the issue.

Have you made any changes to your system prior to this issue?

I suggest you unplug all the external devices (except keyboard and mouse) connected to the system and restart it to check if it helps.

Refer the steps in the link given below and check.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

Black screen and not signed in to windows 10:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

You can also put your system in safe mode and check if it helps.

Refer the steps given in the link below to start your system in Safe mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab02

Hope this helps. Get back to us with the status of the issue.

Swathi Ravichandran, Aug 12, 2018
Thema:

Black screen on startup after Windows 10 shut down

1. Black screen on startup after Windows 10 shut down - Similar Threads - Black screen startup

2. My PC shows black screen after shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC shows black screen after shutting down: Hello, A week ago i started using my pc again after a month it was working fine. After 2 days i started installing a game and found that some .dll files was missing and i installed it. Then i hit restart but the pc showed ‘restarting’ and turned black screen. The power button...
  3. Black Screen ONLY After Shut Down AND Plugged Out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen ONLY After Shut Down AND Plugged Out: This problem only happens when I shut down the computer AND unplug it from the power outlet. When I start the computer, the Windows Logo shows up like usual, but then it shows a black screen. After a few seconds, the computer starts to overheat I can hear the fan spinning. I...
  4. Black Screen ONLY After Shut Down AND Plugged Out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen ONLY After Shut Down AND Plugged Out: This problem only happens when I shut down the computer AND unplug it from the power outlet. When I start the computer, the Windows Logo shows up like usual, but then it shows a black screen. After a few seconds, the computer starts to overheat I can hear the fan spinning. I...
  5. Pc shuts down black screen

Pc shuts down black screen: Hi sometimes when I start a demanding game which my pc should handle my pc suddenly shuts down with an black screen and won‘t start again for the next 15min. It isn‘t a overheating problem of the graphicscard 1080 or my cpu 6700k I am pretty sure because everytime the...
  6. Windows 10 black screen after startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 black screen after startup: When i turn on my PC it loads up for a few seconds showing the windows startup screen with the blue windows symbol and then the screen goes black and i cant do anything. My keyboard and mouse stop working and i cant do anything. The PC remains on and is quiet except from the...
  7. Windows 10 Computer Shuts down after startup.

Windows 10 Computer Shuts down after startup.: My PC turns on, and it loads fine. Once it is finished loading however, it automatically opens something called system32 cmd or something like that. After this being open for about half a minute, it shows the "Shutting Down..." screen, and shuts down. How do i fix this...
  8. Windows shuts down on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows shuts down on startup: Hi guys, I really need some help about this: I was using my laptop this afternoon and it suddenly shuts down without a warning. Then I tried to start it again and it just shuts down while entering the login password. This happened like 3 or 4 times in a row. After this I...
  9. Windows black screen with cursor after shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows black screen with cursor after shutting down: After I click to shutdown my pc, for a few miliseconds I see the normal blue screen with the dots around the words "shutting down", but then my pc goes to a black screen with the cursor and doesnt turn off. Sometimes, the black screen even goes out, just for my pc to go back...
  10. Black screen after shutting down the computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen after shutting down the computer: I don't know if this has to do with anything but this problem occurred after I updated my Windows 10 Pro to build 1903 using the Windows 10 Update Assistant. Now the problem is that when I shut down the computer normally everything works fine. It goes through the usual stuff...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black screen on start up and then shuts down