Windows 10: Black Screen on Windows 10 Boot after game crashing(even in safe mode)

Discus and support Black Screen on Windows 10 Boot after game crashing(even in safe mode) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone! A couple of days ago I was playing Cyberpunk 2077 and it crashed a couple of times, I kinda fixed that by lowering the graphics, but then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eeslea, May 5, 2021.

1. eeslea Win User

Black Screen on Windows 10 Boot after game crashing(even in safe mode)

Hi everyone! A couple of days ago I was playing Cyberpunk 2077 and it crashed a couple of times, I kinda fixed that by lowering the graphics, but then it crashed again and froze up my entire laptop. It wasn't overheated, I kept extra ventilation on. I forced it to shut down and ever since then I'm getting infinite black screen on boot after the MSI logo. After each 2-3 restarts I could access the blue screen with different options, such as Safe Mode. But booting the Safe Mode also ends up either in endless black screen or endless MSI logo. I've tried fixing it with different cmd commands suggested online and Windows standard troubleshooting options from the blue screen. No luck. My Windows is installed on SSD. I've made a partition on my HDD and installed another Windows 10 there, it works absolutely fine if I choose it, but the old one still doesn't. I couldn't go into the SSD's directory in command prompt for a while, got a lot of "Access denied" stuff, but when I got into Windows and changed the security settings for the drive it became possible and now I can access everything on the drive. It doesn't seem to be damaged, but it still doesn't show up in BIOS. I haven't downloaded any files or installed any updates or drivers recently. I'd rather not reinstall the Windows on SSD but even if there's no other way, can I even be sure it'd help? I'd be incredibly grateful if anyone could help me with this issue or explain how a game can possibly do this much damage, it's so confusing.

:)

eeslea, May 5, 2021
  2. Andi_2323 Win User

Black Screen even in Safe Mode on Windows 10.

Original Title: Black Screen even in Safe Mode

We have Windows 10 installed on a Dell Laptop for months with only minor issues. All of a sudden it now only shows the black screen before Login. All the suggested fixes in other Posts don't help, even booting into safe mode only shows the black screen with
    mouse Cursor.

I wonder if there is a way to remove the graphics Driver when in the repair mode command line?

Andi_2323, May 5, 2021
  3. Gtx 460 black screen issue

I have an EVGA gtx 460 that has started acting odd. Every once in awhile I would get a black screen that would require a hard reset. Then eventually the other day, it wouldn't boot at all. It would boot to the windows logo and then black screen.

Replaced it with a spare card, booted up fine.

Put the 460 back in, black screen.

Booted in safe mode, boots fine.

Uninstalled driver and reboot to full windows... boots fine with no driver installed.

Reinstalled latest driver (was already on latest driver when this started) and rebooted. Black screen.

Booted into safe mode and uninstalled driver again.

Reboot to full windows, install old version of driver, reboot. Black screen.

Reboot to safe mode, uninstall driver, reboot to full windows install reeeeeaaally old version of driver. Reboot. Black screen....

So... the only time the card works is when there is no nvidia driver installed... weird.

Anybody got any ideas? I haven't tried testing it in a clean windows install yet, but that's my next step I guess.

Papahyooie, May 5, 2021
  4. Black Screen on Windows 10 Boot after game crashing(even in safe mode)

Black Screen in Safe Mode only!

I am having trouble getting into safe mode, after I type my password, I get a black screen with nothing on it, the screen is lit up but black. It works in normal mode just not Safe Mode, I Googled 'Windows 10 Safe Mode black screen' but only results show telling you to go into Safe Mode to fix the problem, there is nothing regarding this problem in safe mode alone. This is a Windows tablet so removing cables, uninstalling/reinstalling or trying a new video card is not possible here. Tweaking.com told me to restart into Safe Mode to use the application and now I am stuck, the program will not clear the safe mode flag from the boot until I run the program which I cannot because of this issue.

Ornithophilia, May 5, 2021
Thema:

Black Screen on Windows 10 Boot after game crashing(even in safe mode)

1. Black Screen on Windows 10 Boot after game crashing(even in safe mode) - Similar Threads - Black Screen Boot

2. Black screen when booting to safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen when booting to safe mode: I have had problems with my system from time to time. Blue screen. I suspect it started after the June update KB5027231. After trying ALL except one tips to fix blue screen, I restarted my computer in Safe Mode msconfig. Then the computer boots to black sceen. Managed to get...
  3. Black screen when booting to safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen when booting to safe mode: I have had problems with my system from time to time. Blue screen. I suspect it started after the June update KB5027231. After trying ALL except one tips to fix blue screen, I restarted my computer in Safe Mode msconfig. Then the computer boots to black sceen. Managed to get...
  4. [SOLVED] - Black screen after setting boot mode to safe mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    [SOLVED] - Black screen after setting boot mode to safe mode: System Information:Acer Aspire GX 281 DesktopWindows 10 Home EditionAMD Quad-Core RYZEN 5 1400NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB256GB SSD8GB DDR4I was playing a game in which one of the inputs needed to play was the middle mouse button, but my middle mouse button no longer works so...
  5. Black screen after setting boot mode to safe mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen after setting boot mode to safe mode: System Information:Acer Aspire GX 281 DesktopWindows 10 Home EditionAMD Quad-Core RYZEN 5 1400NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB256GB SSD8GB DDR4I was playing a game in which one of the inputs needed to play was the middle mouse button, but my middle mouse button no longer works so...
  6. Black screen after setting boot mode to safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after setting boot mode to safe mode: System Information:Acer Aspire GX 281 DesktopWindows 10 Home EditionAMD Quad-Core RYZEN 5 1400NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB256GB SSD8GB DDR4I was playing a game in which one of the inputs needed to play was the middle mouse button, but my middle mouse button no longer works so...
  7. Black screen after setting boot mode to safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Black Screen even in Safe Mode on Windows 10.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen even in Safe Mode on Windows 10.: I realise this will not apply to most but ive resolved the problem on my pc. It was plugged into a power strip which has an energy saving switch off feature. Having installed win 10 on a new ssd, it was drawing so little power that it was cutting out the supply to the pc, but...
  9. Black screen even in safe mode

Black screen even in safe mode: I'm getting a black screen with cursor after login, Windows 10. Ctrl-alt-delete shows options but choosing task manager reverts to black screen. Can enter safe mode but same issue with black screen/no task manager. Suspect display drivers may be a factor but cant find any way...
  10. Extreme Black Screen of Death, can not even boot to safe mode

Extreme Black Screen of Death, can not even boot to safe mode: Hi everyone, I'm calling this the "Extereme KSOD" to distinguish it from the usual Black Screen of Death where the PC can be rebooted into Safe Mode and you still get a mouse cursor. The PC does not boot so I cant run the BSOD tool, I never even make it to the login...