Windows 10: Black screen part way through booting - Power Key needed to recover

Discus and support Black screen part way through booting - Power Key needed to recover in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've recently updated an HP EliteBook 8560p from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Once booted (see below) the display looks good and everything runs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wbrells, Feb 21, 2019.

1. wbrells Win User

Black screen part way through booting - Power Key needed to recover

I've recently updated an HP EliteBook 8560p from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Once booted (see below) the display looks good and everything runs fine. However, booting requires the following steps:

1) Press the Power Button. The system seems to start up with the Windows "flag" and the rotating circle of dots showing for a couple of seconds. Then the screen goes black - no cursor or anything but the disk activity light indicates that the system is (apparently) continuing to boot.

2) Wait until the disk activity light stops flickering. The system is NOT sleeping at this point.

3) Press the Power Button to put the system to sleep.

4) Press the Power Button AGAIN to "wake up" the system AND THE SCREEN.

NOTE: This system always seems to require that the Power Button be used to wake it up from sleep. Although configured to allow them to do so, neither the keyboard nor the mouse will wake the system. This limitation may or may not be related to the "boot" problem mentioned above.

I have used Device Manager to update all the drivers. The driver for the AMD Radeon Graphics HD6470M is version 15.201.1301.0 dated 8/19/2015, which I believe is the latest one.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

:)

wbrells, Feb 21, 2019

2. Windows 10 Black screen, Start screen, Critical Low Battery

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you try the power troubleshooter if you are able to boot into the system.

Follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.
    For black screen issues click on the link below and refer the suggestions by Sharath Srinivasa.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Feb 21, 2019
  3. AndreTen Win User
    HP Laptop Black Screen on boot

You have probably checked HP's documents on this issue? If not, try Step 3 here: hp support document/c03518165

AndreTen, Feb 21, 2019
  4. Black screen part way through booting - Power Key needed to recover

Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Feb 21, 2019
Thema:

Black screen part way through booting - Power Key needed to recover

1. Black screen part way through booting - Power Key needed to recover - Similar Threads - Black screen part

2. Part of my screen is black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Part of my screen is black: Part of my screen down right is black like this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/part-of-my-screen-is-black/dd0de81b-54f1-4388-be18-a057aa762406
  3. Part of my screen is black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Part of my screen is black: Part of my screen down right is black like this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/part-of-my-screen-is-black/dd0de81b-54f1-4388-be18-a057aa762406
  4. Bottom part of screen is black.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bottom part of screen is black.: The bottom part of my screen has gone black. When i leave my laptop open for about 30 minutes the black bar dissapears and its okay again. Whenever i open my laptop after shutting it down the black bar reappears. It is growing day by day....
  5. Bottom part of screen is black.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bottom part of screen is black.: The bottom part of my screen has gone black. When i leave my laptop open for about 30 minutes the black bar dissapears and its okay again. Whenever i open my laptop after shutting it down the black bar reappears. It is growing day by day....
  6. PC no longer sleeps - freezes part way through instead.

in Windows 10 Support
    PC no longer sleeps - freezes part way through instead.: Hi All, My desktop pc (specs and OS info as per 'My Computers' System One) is not going to sleep when button pressed. It was doing so until the last couple of days which prompted me to run sfc/ scannow. Sfc found some file corruptions and repaired them. This didn't fix the...
  7. Is there an easy way to record part of a screen?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there an easy way to record part of a screen?: As per the title, I need to record one part of a screen (full screen won't do, just one window won't do either, so the Game Bar is out of the question). Is there an easy way to do this? When I googled it, all solutions seem to involve apps which will watermark the recording...
  8. Failure Part Way Through Clean Install to New HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failure Part Way Through Clean Install to New HDD: Hi, part of the way through a clean install of Windows 10 Home to a new HDD the install fails and my PC emits three long beeps. It did similar yesterday when all I was trying to do was boot from the installation media a USB Drive that I had created with the Media Creation...
  9. Update 1809 fails part way through

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update 1809 fails part way through: I'm running 1803 and trying to install 1809. It gets past the reboot and then fails. The error code is 0xC1900101-0x30018, which means a driver error. That's pretty useless information, since there doesn't seem to be any way to inject a driver into the update process. Based...
  10. Parts of the screen inverted/black

in Windows 10 Customization
    Parts of the screen inverted/black: A lot of parts of the screen are randomly turning black. I have no idea what could be causing this. The issue isn't just in one app, It comes up in chrome, word, excel, task manager, file explorer and others. I'm using a surface pro. I anyone had any ideas how this started I...