Windows 10: Black screen problem with only taskbar for several minutes upon startup

Discus and support Black screen problem with only taskbar for several minutes upon startup in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Ever since 2 weeks ago, my laptop has been experiencing issues upon startup. I don't remember the exact circumstances now, but one day I signed in, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Wilhelm Schwartz, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Black screen problem with only taskbar for several minutes upon startup

Ever since 2 weeks ago, my laptop has been experiencing issues upon startup. I don't remember the exact circumstances now, but one day I signed in, and my screen was in black-and-white, even though I had changed nothing. Then, every day since, when I start my computer the screen is black. If I press the Windows button + S, the taskbar shows up, and I can interact with it without limitation. But when I open an app, like task manager, it doesn't show on the screen for several minutes. I can hover my cursor over its icon in the taskbar, it shows up on the screen along with my wallpaper and everything else. When I click on its icon in the taskbar, the screen becomes black again. Recently, I noticed that if I click the blackness, a Windows notification/error sound is made. The blackness lasts several minutes upon startup; before this problem, I was able to start my laptop surprisingly fast. I've scoured the internet, but none of the black-screen problems seem to match up with mine, nor do the solutions seem to work.

Here is some information that may also help:

• It works fine in safe mode.
    • Since the problem has started, my reliability monitor shows many critical events, when beforehand, there were literally no critical events for weeks, unless I'm missing something.
    • I also recall a random blue screen of death around two weeks ago that fixed upon restart.
    • My graphics card is IntelR UHD Graphics 620
    • All my drivers are up-to-date, according to Lenovo Vantage

Please ask me if there is any other information you need to help me. I appreciate your consideration.

:)

Wilhelm Schwartz, Apr 29, 2020
  2. Arul_D Win User

Black Screen on Startup

Hello,

Could you please answer few questions:

• When you say “Now, nothing is on my desktop” what exactly are you referring to?

• Are you getting black screen after Sign in?
    If you are getting black screen after sign in, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the below help article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Arul_D, Apr 29, 2020
  3. zplugger Win User
    Black Screen after Log on

Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on what my next step should be?*Sad

zplugger, Apr 29, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Black screen problem with only taskbar for several minutes upon startup

Black screen at initial startup, no cursor

Hi,

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue. I suggest you to refer the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps suggested and check the status of the issue.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Apr 29, 2020
Thema:

Black screen problem with only taskbar for several minutes upon startup

1. Black screen problem with only taskbar for several minutes upon startup - Similar Threads - Black screen problem

2. Laptop stuck on black screen on startup for 3 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop stuck on black screen on startup for 3 minutes: I bought a Lenovo Legion y540 laptop and it had only nvidia gpu, no intagrated graphics card. I was using the laptop very well, but yesterday when I opened my laptop I saw that uhd 630 intagrated graphics card installed by its own. I didn't care first times, but I restarted...
  3. Laptop stuck on black screen on startup for 3 minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop stuck on black screen on startup for 3 minutes: I bought a Lenovo Legion y540 laptop and it had only nvidia gpu, no intagrated graphics card. I was using the laptop very well, but yesterday when I opened my laptop I saw that uhd 630 intagrated graphics card installed by its own. I didn't care first times, but I restarted...
  4. Laptop stuck on black screen on startup for 3 minutes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Problem with "This might take several minutes" blue screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with "This might take several minutes" blue screen: Hey all, I got am HP laptop several weeks ago. For some odd reason, without warning, it will occasionally have a blue screen up with the caption "This may take several minutes. Please Don't Turn Off."Is there any way to stop this from happening? Twice it has happened during...
  6. Problem with "This might take several minutes" blue screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with "This might take several minutes" blue screen: Hey all, I got am HP laptop several weeks ago. For some odd reason, without warning, it will occasionally have a blue screen up with the caption "This may take several minutes. Please Don't Turn Off."Is there any way to stop this from happening? Twice it has happened during...
  7. Problem with "This might take several minutes" blue screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. BLACK SCREEN BRIEFLY UPON STARTUP

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BLACK SCREEN BRIEFLY UPON STARTUP: The last few times I have booted up my computer it has taken longer than usual. A black screen appears for about 8 seconds before it successfully boots. I have an SSD drive, so it normally boots very rapidly. I had run Powershell chkdsk /x /f /r and boot up was fine afterward...
  9. Blue Screen upon startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Blue Screen upon startup: Hi, Since last night, I have been experiencing a problem upon starting up my Toshiba Laptopwith Windows 10 as when I do so the computer says please wait and shortly after, a blue screen pops up. It then tells me to choose my keyboard layout, where I click UK and move on....
  10. Windows 10 PC Black Screen Upon Startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 PC Black Screen Upon Startup: I can't get into my windows 10 pc. IT will say "preparing automatic repair, then show a black screen. I've tried making a USB using rufus to repair Windows 10, still black screen upon loading from usb. I cant get into safe mode, I cant boot at all. It gets to the splash...