Windows 10: Black screen while using PC but the computer remains turned on

Discus and support Black screen while using PC but the computer remains turned on in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I've got a problem that started today. My PC just randomly displays black screen but it's still working and not restarting. I have to hard restart it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Kacper Skórka, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Black screen while using PC but the computer remains turned on

I've got a problem that started today. My PC just randomly displays black screen but it's still working and not restarting. I have to hard restart it sometimes it takes a few restarts to get my display working again.Blackscreen happens whenever I use multiple browsers or play games, make tests on 3DMark/CineBench. The errors I'm getting are:EventLog 6008volmgr 162Kernel-Power 41 EventLog 1000Dwminit 0Application Error 1000 dwm.exeI've removed and updated video drivers, BIOS updated, checked for viruses, run sfc /scannow - nothing works.Temperatures on GPU/CPU/RAM are normal, usage also fin

:)

Kacper Skórka, Feb 20, 2024

2. Black screen after turning on computer cant log in

Hi Charlie,

I realize that you get a black screen after turning on the computer. I will try to help you with this issue.

• Did you make any changes to the PC after which you are getting a black screen?

The black screen issue could be related to display drivers and might get resolved by updating the display drivers. Without the correct driver, the hardware or device that you want to use won't work properly.

Suggest you to refer to the reply posted by “Sharath Srinivasa” from this thread to check if that helps.

Redirecting

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Feb 20, 2024
  3. Ryan Fra Win User
    Endless black screen without anything but it is on

Hi Basim,

There are several reasons why the screen turns black only. It can be an issue with the software or hardware. Please answer the following questions:

• Are there any major changes made on your computer before the issue started?
    • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps to fix the issue?

For now, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps from this
    link

We are looking forward to your reply.

Ryan Fra, Feb 20, 2024
  4. Black screen while using PC but the computer remains turned on

Black Screen after turning on the PC

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are unable to see the screen of the PC.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the make and model of the PC?
    • Do you get a black screen after login screen?
    • Are you aware of any changes on the PC prior to this issue?
    • When you say "everything turned on except for the screen" are you not getting display on the monitor?
    • What happen, when you press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key from the keyboard?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform these methods and check if that helps.

Method 1: If you are able to open
    Task manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc key from the keyboard, then click on
    File tab from the top and select Run new task. Now type
    explorer.exe and check the box beside “Create this task with administrative privileges

Method 2: Boot the PC to
    safe mode from login screen,
    then check if you are able to access the PC without any issues. If everything is fine in safe mode, then restart the PC to normal mode and check.

Method 3: If the computer is booting to black/blank screen, please follow
    the suggestion from this article:
    Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Feb 20, 2024
Thema:

Black screen while using PC but the computer remains turned on

1. Black screen while using PC but the computer remains turned on - Similar Threads - Black screen while

2. Black screen while using PC but the computer remains turned on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen while using PC but the computer remains turned on: I've got a problem that started today. My PC just randomly displays black screen but it's still working and not restarting. I have to hard restart it sometimes it takes a few restarts to get my display working again.Blackscreen happens whenever I use multiple browsers or play...
  3. My computer black screens and loses all sound whilst the PC remains on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer black screens and loses all sound whilst the PC remains on: My PC at random will begin to black screen and lose all sound during this, The black screen is always random and happens whenever. The PC will still remain on and the only way to shut it down is to hold the power button or unplug it. It doesn't create a minidump and when I...
  4. My computer black screens and loses all sound whilst the PC remains on

My computer black screens and loses all sound whilst the PC remains on: My PC at random will begin to black screen and lose all sound during this, The black screen is always random and happens whenever. The PC will still remain on and the only way to shut it down is to hold the power button or unplug it. It doesn't create a minidump and when I...
  5. PC screen turns black while everything else is working

PC screen turns black while everything else is working: I've been using my pc for quite a while now and recently, this trouble occurred. My monitor suddenly turns black after playing some games or launching some. I've noticed that even though my cable and my monitor is still in good condition, and when that happened, the monitor...
  6. Computer screen turns off while I'm using it

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer screen turns off while I'm using it: My computer will often turn off while I am actively using it. It doesn't completely shut down, but the screen will turn off as if it's gone to sleep. It will wake up again if I move the mouse but I have to re-sign in and it gets very annoying and shouldn't happen while I am...
  7. Computer screen turns off while I'm using it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer screen turns off while I'm using it: My computer will often turn off while I am actively using it. It doesn't completely shut down, but the screen will turn off as if it's gone to sleep. It will wake up again if I move the mouse but I have to re-sign in and it gets very annoying and shouldn't happen while I am...
  8. Computer screen turns off while I'm using it

9. Black screen of death while using PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen of death while using PC: Hi, I've been using an MSI GL-63 laptop for a bit now - a year ago the hard drive was replaced due to the manufacturing one being defective by a tech repair person, but since then everything's been fine until now. Recently the past 4 days, while browsing or doing something...
  10. PC screen remains blank. "black"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC screen remains blank. "black": The computer got stuck like hanged remains till half an hour, and then i press the power button to switch off and when i again it switch on the screen remains black till now. it about 2 hr of the same screen....