Windows 10: Black screen with cursor after login. Screen works fine in safe mode

Discus and support Black screen with cursor after login. Screen works fine in safe mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Been a few days, done a ton of research and so far all the solutions ive read on dont fix my problem. To run down the situation: - I get a black... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by atomx1, Jul 30, 2019.

1. atomx1 Win User

Black screen with cursor after login. Screen works fine in safe mode

Been a few days, done a ton of research and so far all the solutions ive read on dont fix my problem.

To run down the situation:
    - I get a black screen after i login with only a cursor, but sometimes the screen goes back to normal temporarily, and when it does work temporarily, the taskbar usually appears pixelated, and sometimes the text as well on any programs with the occasional pink highlight behind the text
    - When i hit ctrl alt del, it brings it up just fine
    - When I run safe mode, my screen is totally fine. Nothing wrong. But some side issues is that I cant seem to open updates & security in my control panel. It just closes right after i try to open it

Things I've tried
    - Ive done a full reset of the computer
    - Tried a system restore
    - tried running a chkdsk on my drive
    - Ran the /sfc scannow from cmd (will attach the report since it found problems with some not fixed)
    - tried uninstalling recent programs/updates that couldve been the culprit
    - now trying to update all the drivers through Easy Driver and then disabling the auto updates from windows through the registry in case it decides to auto update with the problematic update
    - tried startup repair
    -tried running diagnostic startup so the computer starts up with the minimal resources needed and nothing else.

hoping someone has the solution for this. If you need any more info regarding the issue, id be glad to provide. Was also thinking of trying to image another laptop onto mine, but the risk seems high and want to leave that as a last resort.

:)

atomx1, Jul 30, 2019

2. Black Screen with working mouse cursor but not keyboard

It is frozen or just black screen in Safe mode ?
    might try to repair Windows by an installation DVD or a USB stick

little cat, Jul 30, 2019
  3. Andi_2323 Win User
    Black Screen even in Safe Mode on Windows 10.

Original Title: Black Screen even in Safe Mode

We have Windows 10 installed on a Dell Laptop for months with only minor issues. All of a sudden it now only shows the black screen before Login. All the suggested fixes in other Posts don't help, even booting into safe mode only shows the black screen with
    mouse Cursor.

I wonder if there is a way to remove the graphics Driver when in the repair mode command line?

Andi_2323, Jul 30, 2019
  4. Harry9001 Win User

Black Screen with working mouse cursor but not keyboard

Its a black screen with no menu or icons but you can move the mouse freely

Harry9001, Jul 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Black screen with cursor after login. Screen works fine in safe mode - Similar Threads - Black screen cursor

2. Black screen with a cursor. Works perfectly in safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen with a cursor. Works perfectly in safe mode: Yesterday when I turned on my laptop, it freezed. And after a while it was just black screen. Now when I turn on after samsung logo, I input my login password, then it opens with a black screen with a cursor. I can hear the fan, that's means it's running. The lights of...
  3. Black screen with a cursor. Works perfectly in safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with a cursor. Works perfectly in safe mode: Yesterday when I turned on my laptop, it freezed. And after a while it was just black screen. Now when I turn on after samsung logo, I input my login password, then it opens with a black screen with a cursor. I can hear the fan, that's means it's running. The lights of...
  4. Laptop freezes on login screen but works fine in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop freezes on login screen but works fine in safe mode.: Problem:I have an HP 15-eq laptop. It suddenly crashed while I was working and now when I try to boot, it reaches the login screen but if move the cursor, the screen freezes and turns black and the laptop stops responding.Steps taken so far:Startup repair from winRE. It said...
  5. Laptop freezes on login screen but works fine in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop freezes on login screen but works fine in safe mode.: Problem:I have an HP 15-eq laptop. It suddenly crashed while I was working and now when I try to boot, it reaches the login screen but if move the cursor, the screen freezes and turns black and the laptop stops responding.Steps taken so far:Startup repair from winRE. It said...
  6. Laptop freezes on login screen but works fine in safe mode.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Black screen with cursor for couple of minutes then fine after login

Black screen with cursor for couple of minutes then fine after login: Hello, A week ago my computer started it strangely after the most recent MS Windows update. Usually when I log into my computer, it only takes a few moments before the desktop shows up and I'm good to go. Now after login it shows the login circle for about 30 seconds before...
  8. Black screen with cursor after login?

Black screen with cursor after login?: So, I purchased a (nearly new) laptop from someone recently, and started it up to find that the taskbar didn't want to respond to my mouse. A website suggested I use the task manager to End Task the Windows Explorer and, like a Fool, I did. Now, the screen's black (though I...
  9. Black Screen with cursor after login

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen with cursor after login: Good day, I really hope someone could guide me to a solution. I have a fairly new Dell G5, with a SSD running the OS (Win 10 home), and important apps. Everytime I restart, or shut down or any form of normal boot up, the Notebook starts quickly, up to the login screen. After...
  10. Black screen after login, Safe mode doesn't work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after login, Safe mode doesn't work: Hi, hope you're having a great day. My problem with my laptop is after I login, it turns into a black screen. At first it seems fine, it loaded my dekstop shortcuts and wallpaper but the taskbar is not loading properly. After a few seconds, it turned into a black screen. The...