Windows 10: Black screen with cursor after login Windows 10 (following update)

Discus and support Black screen with cursor after login Windows 10 (following update) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Last night I did an 'update and shut down' and when I turned my laptop on today I got to the lock screen OK but after logging on, the screen was black... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ArmandoZeffirelli, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Black screen with cursor after login Windows 10 (following update)

Last night I did an 'update and shut down' and when I turned my laptop on today I got to the lock screen OK but after logging on, the screen was black apart from the cursor. I restarted my laptop but that had no effect. Task manager opens alright and I can see that, same for any other programs run from the Task Manager. But when I restart explorer.exe from task manager, that causes the desktop and taskbar to keep appearing and disappearing every couple of seconds for several minutes after which they stay visible. However none of the icons on the taskbar then work and most of the text when I run chrome seems to be in italics. I ran sfc /scannow and it said there were some corrupted files it couldn't repair. I don't know how to proceed though.

:)

ArmandoZeffirelli, Aug 30, 2019

2. Windows 10 Black Spinning Circle with Cursor Pointer Before Login screen

I am in Windows 10 14393.2046 Build and during Boot I am Experiencing Black screen with a cursor and spinning circle ,having updated my Graphics Card Drivers Up to Date and Windows 10 1607 Cumulative Updates too.Since i didnt have any startup issues in
    Windows 8.1 ,10240 as well as 10586 builds and i performed all troubleshooting steps and annoyed me.I can say that it is a windows issue and you have to sort it out ,only problem is

• Windows Logo Spinning Circle
    • Black Screen spinning Circle
    • Login

sasikumar4395, Aug 30, 2019
  3. Black screen with cursor after Windows 10 update

Cyril Robinson AzariahJ, Aug 30, 2019
  4. Black screen with cursor after login Windows 10 (following update)

Windows 10 - black screen with cursor after login

Hi WB,

I had a similar Black Screen problem I documented on this site and solved my problem.

The following may not help you but it fixed my problem.

MS responses in this forum are formulaic based upon keywords IMHO.

Try this:

• Login to Windows 10 and if you have a Black Screen, wait about 15 minutes (to be sure) before you get bored and decide to reboot. I've had the experience that after a MS software update that when the computer reboots, it sits there with a Black screen
      for a while. I've seen this a few times and if I walked away and come back 30-60 minutes later, it often is working.
    • Alternatively, (I've seen this several times), at the Black Screen: turn off your monitor and after a few seconds turn it back on. My display card ( an Nvidia variant I think ) sometimes has trouble upon boot. When I cycle the monitor off/on, the display
      comes up and works.
    • The following solution to a Black Screen problem was discovered after I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 8.1 (2 weeks later). MS had pushed some update which conflicted with a Startup program and then the startup list was aborted and the S/W was left in an
      unstable state. Try this:
      • After login and encountering Black Screen, try CTRL-ALT-DEL. This should bring up a menu (if windows is partially running and you don't have a display driver issue). If you get the menu, select Task Manager. This brought up a single white window in the
        middle of my black screen. Expand the window by dragging the corner and you should see the task list. If you do, proceed to the next step. Otherwise, bail out. This solution will not work for you.
      • Task Manager has now integrated the capabilities of the old msconfg.exe (if you remember that). Go to the Start Up tab and you should see a list of programs that will execute upon login. Most are enabled. Some may be disabled. Try disabling non-MS startup
        programs. Save and restart.
      • There is an element of educated guesswork here but for me this solved my problem and upon the next boot, I was able to see the desktop and navigate the menus.
      • If this works, your next task is to go back to Task Manager, Startup, and re-enable the entries you disabled one by one and reboot until you discover the offending program.
    I did not need to re-install Windows or re-install device drivers as seems to be the popular suggestions.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

SteveHirsch_Moorpark, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

Black screen with cursor after login Windows 10 (following update)

1. Black screen with cursor after login Windows 10 (following update) - Similar Threads - Black screen cursor

2. Windows 10 black screen with cursor after login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 black screen with cursor after login: I have three accounts on my machine.1. Administrator2. Administrator3. UserI have the issue that when I try to login into the user account the screen stays black but I can see the cursor. Pressing Strg + Alt+ Entf works fine but after clicking on Task manager it goes back to...
  3. Windows 10 black screen with cursor after login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 black screen with cursor after login: I have three accounts on my machine.1. Administrator2. Administrator3. UserI have the issue that when I try to login into the user account the screen stays black but I can see the cursor. Pressing Strg + Alt+ Entf works fine but after clicking on Task manager it goes back to...
  4. Windows 10 black screen with cursor after login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 black screen with cursor after login

Windows 10 black screen with cursor after login: I've seen this question all over the place, and a multitude of answers which so far don't fix this issue for me. Although the scenario I'm having is slightly different. I've set up a new laptop for a domain user, installed applicable drivers, patches, windows updates, etc....
  6. Black screen with cursor after login Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen with cursor after login Windows 10: There are multiple related issues and I think I tried EACH and EVERY suggested solution so please read below before suggesting standard steps - I've done them already. My laptop boots normally but I see black screen after I log in to any Windows user account. SITUATION...
  7. Black screen with cursor after login?

Black screen with cursor after login?: So, I purchased a (nearly new) laptop from someone recently, and started it up to find that the taskbar didn't want to respond to my mouse. A website suggested I use the task manager to End Task the Windows Explorer and, like a Fool, I did. Now, the screen's black (though I...
  8. Black Screen with cursor after login

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen with cursor after login: Good day, I really hope someone could guide me to a solution. I have a fairly new Dell G5, with a SSD running the OS (Win 10 home), and important apps. Everytime I restart, or shut down or any form of normal boot up, the Notebook starts quickly, up to the login screen. After...
  9. Windows 10 Black screen with cursor after login

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Black screen with cursor after login: Hello guys I seem to have a problem when it comes to windows. I have the black screen after login with only the cursor on display. When i try to open task manager with CTRL+ALT+DEL or CTRL+SHIFT+ESC it will open but only after a 15/20 minute wait once that is open i have...
  10. Windows 10 Black screen after login with cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Black screen after login with cursor: I'm not too sure what to do. I can get into task manager but using explorer.exe doesn't do anything. Anyone know how to fix this? 11247