Windows 10: black screen with cursor and no GUI

Discus and support black screen with cursor and no GUI in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello all, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I was playing a game on my desktop the other day and something happened, it froze and then stuttered and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SolomonPlant, Mar 16, 2021.

1. black screen with cursor and no GUI

Hello all, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I was playing a game on my desktop the other day and something happened, it froze and then stuttered and then crashed my pc. When I turned my pc on and every time I turn it on now it goes to the login page as normal and I can see everything as normal. I log in and then blackness. All there is on the screen is my cursor. The only way I can access task manager is by pressing ctrl+alt+del and then clicking it from there. I have tried other methods like right-clicking the now 'invisible' taskbar and then pressing the up arrow three times and enter but nothing happened.

When I looked into methods to fix this I saw many using the 'run new task' option that you can get from the top bar of the task manager. When I tried to run programs like 'regedit' and 'explorer.exe' Nothing happened. When I selected the 'run as admin' box nothing opened but this time task manager stops responding and never starts responding again even when left for hours.

I also try to open the run command box through the 'windows + r' shortcut but nothing happens again. I've tried restarting the windows explorer program but nothing happens again and the cpu loading goes to 100% for a few minutes.

I then tried again in safe mode but everything was the same as in normal mode. Black screen, cursor, and no way of running programs.

I can go into an applications file location by right-clicking it in task manager, I can then go through my files as normal. I try to open a program and file explorer stops responding forever again. It also randomly stops responding on its own. This has never happened before and my pc is normally quick.

I tell you all these things so that you can get a real grasp for what I've already done and to understand the issues. I really have no idea what has happened please help and give all the suggestions you can.

Thank you for reading all of this. All the best.

:)

SolomonPlant, Mar 16, 2021
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Mar 16, 2021
  3. Black Screen with Mouse Cursor with continual repair loops

Next I did select volume and list volume X:

black screen with cursor and no GUI [​IMG]

black screen with cursor and no GUI [​IMG]

naturalbodz, Mar 16, 2021
  4. jds63 Win User

black screen with cursor and no GUI

Black Screen after Log on

So this is not a BSOD ? Have a Windows 10 disc or USB Flash Drive made ? How are you getting to task manager Ctrl.+Alt+Del ? Any cursor on screen ?

jds63, Mar 16, 2021
Thema:

black screen with cursor and no GUI

1. black screen with cursor and no GUI - Similar Threads - black screen cursor

2. Black Screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen with cursor: Hello,tonight I install the 22H2 update all fine and turn off the PC, today I turn on and after the boot I get black screen with cursor blinking in the top left corner, what's happening?From pc boot menu it's the same, I select the SSD disk and nothing happens... Note: If I...
  3. Black screen with cursor

Black screen with cursor: Hello,I have a problem with my computer. When I turn it on, the screen is black and I can only see the cursor. I've found that this question has been asked before like in here:...
  4. Black screen with cursor concealing the GUI after sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen with cursor concealing the GUI after sleep: So two days ago after my laptop went to sleep and I woke it up again, all there was is a black screen with a cursor. I turned it off and on again, but still the same result. Everything seems to work fine under the black screen, I can log in properly, and still hover over...
  5. Black screen with cursor concealing the GUI after sleep

Black screen with cursor concealing the GUI after sleep: So two days ago after my laptop went to sleep and I woke it up again, all there was is a black screen with a cursor. I turned it off and on again, but still the same result. Everything seems to work fine under the black screen, I can log in properly, and still hover over...
  6. Black screen with cursor concealing the GUI after sleep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Black Screen With Cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen With Cursor: Hello, So today I turned on my computer and it was updating and sec later the power went off. When I turned it back again it asked me to select my keyboard language after that it showed me some options like troubleshoot so I clicked at troubleshoot and selected startup...
  8. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Black screen with cursor: Living in Fear: Updated to Ten (Gateway SX-2800), it worked for a month. After an update came black screen with cursor. TenForum solution (3 shutdowns before full start) and restart fixed. Updated video and other drivers. Another update event, happened again, this time...
  9. Black screen with cursor.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen with cursor.: Hi, I am prajwal , my PC is facing a problem.when I installed drivers in my PC, after that screen had become black with cursor , I could not able to do anything, I can't see task manager too.So I want to format my PC.But I want to back up all my stuffs.What and how I should...
  10. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen with cursor: My Windows 10 was running perfectly well for one full week. Then this morning I noticed it installed some update and after reboot the screen went black and the cursor appeared. I tried every thing but nothing helped. I cannot even access the troubleshooting, bios, repair,...