Windows 10: Black screen with cursor, task manager not working, safemode boot no working and can't sign...

Discus and support Black screen with cursor, task manager not working, safemode boot no working and can't sign... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I do not have access to a USB drive at the moment.Problem: Windows boots to a black screen with only a cursor. Win +P shows the screen menu.Cause:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TheGravityWizard, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Black screen with cursor, task manager not working, safemode boot no working and can't sign...

I do not have access to a USB drive at the moment.Problem: Windows boots to a black screen with only a cursor. Win +P shows the screen menu.Cause: seemingly nothing, the night before it worked fine and unless it updated while it was booting in the morning I do not think a windows update caused itTroubleshooting tried: cant bring up task manager, the screen remains black and the same goes for ctrl alt del.Unplugging everything didn't work, switching cables didn't either.Ctrl shift Win B did nothing other than centering the cursor.Booting in safe mode didn't change anything.Booting in the smalle

:)

TheGravityWizard, Jun 16, 2021
  2. NevRon Win User

Black screen with cursor

Living in Fear: Updated to Ten (Gateway SX-2800), it worked for a month.
    After an update came black screen with cursor. TenForum solution (3
    shutdowns before full start) and restart fixed. Updated video and other
    drivers. Another update event, happened again, this time auto fix did not
    fix. Advanced to system restore. Worked once. I was on a special project,
    feared same problem, so I left computer on for 2 weeks, no problem. Then
    was forced to restart with update. (BTW -sorry didn't mention *SadI GET THE SIGN ON
    SCREEN EACH TIME , AND ENTER PASSWORD)
    then black screen - and now no fixes
    work, no restore points. Current status - active cursor, notifications and windows pop up
    over a black screen, addressing second monitor with blind keystrokes on and
    off works (evidenced by cursor), task manager opens (ctrl alt del) and
    seems fully functional. Lots of functions in task manager show stopped.
    Seems like desktop is there but screen is black. Any possible fix through
    task manager or by keystrokes?? tried all fixes found here. Help!!

NevRon, Jun 16, 2021
  3. NevRon Win User
    Black screen with cursor

Have a Gateway SX2800-01 which has (had) Windows 7 Pro installed. Finally gave in to Window 10 upgrade prompting and said yes. Ten installed well to my surprise, it ran for several months. Then on an update it restarted to the sign in screen, password, then black screen with cursor.*Sad I found TenForums and possible solutions with my laptop.
    Black screen with cursor, task manager not working, safemode boot no working and can't sign... :)First try - partial boot 3 times - brought up auto fix - after running - chose restore point I had set in - IT WORKED.
    I updated the video driver just in case that was a cause of problem.
    *Sad The install update came up again. I held off for weeks. Finally gave in. Restarted with sign in screen - then black screen.
    *SadSecond try - 3 partial boots - fix screen options - one available earlier restore point showing -tried - DID NOT WORK THIS TIME- Black screen again.
    *SadThird try - tried option 'start to safe mode' - Sign on screen - password -still BLACK SCREEN
    Tried (from TenForum) blind keystrokes to activate second monitor. It worked evidenced by cursor showing on second black screen (off -no cursor on second screen). Tried removing monitor and devices. The only option left from partial starts and auto fix, is to restore toan earlier Build - but I believe will likely give me another black screen.
    Observations - notification windows pop up on black screen (example: "your antivirus has been updated"). Ctrl alt del opens 'task manager' window over black screen. Tabs work showing active activities of files/programs.
    I don't know about fast start mode. Can that be accessed from task manager? Or something to get my desktop back?

NevRon, Jun 16, 2021
  4. Black screen with cursor, task manager not working, safemode boot no working and can't sign...

Black Screen with working mouse cursor but not keyboard

It is frozen or just black screen in Safe mode ?
    might try to repair Windows by an installation DVD or a USB stick

little cat, Jun 16, 2021
Thema:

Black screen with cursor, task manager not working, safemode boot no working and can't sign...

1. Black screen with cursor, task manager not working, safemode boot no working and can't sign... - Similar Threads - Black screen cursor

2. Black screen with cursor, can't reboot, can't access task manager, most shortcut keys do...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen with cursor, can't reboot, can't access task manager, most shortcut keys do...: Hi,So, the title says it all: I have a common issue, black screen with cursor. From my browsing before posting here, most solutions involve either rebooting or opening task manager using shortcut keys. Well I can do neither.For information just in case any of the following is...
  3. Black screen with cursor, can't reboot, can't access task manager, most shortcut keys do...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with cursor, can't reboot, can't access task manager, most shortcut keys do...: Hi,So, the title says it all: I have a common issue, black screen with cursor. From my browsing before posting here, most solutions involve either rebooting or opening task manager using shortcut keys. Well I can do neither.For information just in case any of the following is...
  4. Black screen with cursor, can't reboot, can't access task manager, most shortcut keys do...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Black Screen with cursor, Can't load up task manager

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black Screen with cursor, Can't load up task manager: Ive been having the issue of windows loading after the welcome message to a black screen with just my cursor for a day now. I have tried multiple methods to fix it. -Safe mode is just the same I can load CMD but not able to even fix it using this. -I have tried resetting...
  6. Black screen with cursor, nothing works.

Black screen with cursor, nothing works.: Don't know if this is the right sub to ask for help, but well, when I log in, my desktop doesn't load. Only my mouse is there. I'm on a Asus Ultrabook S46C. Task manager doesn't open in any way. FN + Esc + Power also don't work. I have Process Lasso installed, and he do...
  7. Black Screen - Can't Access Task Manager

Black Screen - Can't Access Task Manager: When starting my computer I end up on the black screen of death after windows loads. The only thing I can see if my mouse cursor. I am unable to see the task manager when I CTL+ALT+DEL. If I'm in safe mode, I still can't pull up the task manager with CTL+ALT+DEL, or with...
  8. Black Screen after Booting to Safemode with MSConfig

Black Screen after Booting to Safemode with MSConfig: I was trying to fix a problem I had with the Oculus software and for that I needed to boot into safe mode. The conventional way of doing it wasnt working for me so I decided to use msconfig. I turned on the "safe boot" option and restarted. Once i restarted it turned on but...
  9. After Blackout - Black Screen with mouse cursor, task manager not working

After Blackout - Black Screen with mouse cursor, task manager not working: Hello Team, I’ve got problem after electricity blackout while i was gaming. Whenever i start my PC, I got black screen but the mouse cursor is active. I tried to open youtube tutorial , most of them suggest CTRL+ALT+DEL, but it doesnt do anything for me. No Menu showed up,...
  10. Booting to black screen with cursor

Booting to black screen with cursor: Hello and thank you all for any help or ideas. In general, on startup my computer is 'scanning and repairing' drives, then booting into a black screen with cursor. I don't have a pc easily available to install usb boot programs but have tried a couple thus far. Refreshing or...