Windows 10: Black screen with sound followed by manual restart with no dump

Discus and support Black screen with sound followed by manual restart with no dump in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; setup: i9 9900k Gigabyte 3080 VISION OC PSU: corsair hxi 750w 32gb ram 3200mhz ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING winver: Screenshot -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by evildoll, Dec 4, 2020.

1. evildoll Win User

Black screen with sound followed by manual restart with no dump

setup:
    i9 9900k
    Gigabyte 3080 VISION OC
    PSU: corsair hxi 750w
    32gb ram 3200mhz
    ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING
    winver: Screenshot - 491dd1e44c317af8df42c56cd27c8801 - Gyazo

For the past few weeks I've been having random black screen freezes, where the sound goes on for a few more second followed by a complete freeze.
    Dumps are enabled: Screenshot - ca3572433f4d644f8a0e992c30580e3d - Gyazo
    Using NotMyFault (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...ads/notmyfault) dump are working fine.
    Mini dump from "self triggered" bsod:
    Screenshot - 553b0c897876cf894f20970c78354182 - Gyazo

However when this happens I have the following event in event viewer.
    Screenshot - 412f23396186fbb745305a78276c17ab - Gyazo
    - System
    - Provider
    [ Name] volmgr
    - EventID 161
    [ Qualifiers] 49156
    Version 0
    Level 2
    Task 0
    Opcode 0
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2020-12-04T14:32:12.4597853Z
    EventRecordID 12825
    Correlation
    - Execution
    [ ProcessID] 4
    [ ThreadID] 572
    Channel System
    Computer DESKTOP-FP5PJN6
    Security
    - EventData
    \Device\HarddiskVolume7
    000000000100000000000000A10004C081000200010000C000000000000000000000000000000000

It seem to happen at random times.
    I reinstalled my graphics driver using DDU via Safe mode.

As a side note, I have the 3080 for around one month now, and this only started happening for the past week-ish.
    Hah 6 of these events in the past 7 days, two of them happened more or less back to back.

To troubleshoot, I left a game on the main screen overnight a few time, GPU underload, CPU underload and it went for 10+ hours straight with no problems.

SSD Health status is good in CrystalDiskInfo(97% for windows partition)

Is there anything else I can check to point me in the right direction ?
    Could it be the PSU ?

later edit: temperatures are well within limits for both CPU and GPU
    later later edit: no OC on either CPU or GPU
    later later later edit:
    1. sfc /scannow
    2. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    ran both, no issues

DESKTOP-FP5PJN6-(2020-12-04_18-11-22).zip

:)

evildoll, Dec 4, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

black screen

Hi Bart,

It is possible that you're experiencing black screen due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • What happen when you tried to login?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot black screen errors. You can choose which situation you're experiencing the error and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Dec 4, 2020
  3. Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Dec 4, 2020
  4. Black screen with sound followed by manual restart with no dump

Random black screen after sometimes it restart and become normal screen

Hi Dai,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Inconvenience regretted. I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Method 1: You may update the Display driver from Device Manager manually and check if this helps.

• Open run command by pressing Windows key + R and type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotes) and hit Enter.

• Spot and expand the “Display adaptors”.

• Right click on the video driver and select “Update Driver Software”. Once this is done, restart the computer to check the problem fixed.
    Method 2: Further, if there no updated drivers available on the computer manufacturer’s website, then trying installing it in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version
    of Windows.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

• Right-click on the driver setup file and click on
      ‘properties’

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
      ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope this will address your query.

SujataMoktan, Dec 4, 2020
Thema:

Black screen with sound followed by manual restart with no dump

1. Black screen with sound followed by manual restart with no dump - Similar Threads - Black screen sound

2. Persistent pc crashing to black screen followed by reboot. Dump log linked.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Persistent pc crashing to black screen followed by reboot. Dump log linked.: PC has been crashing for about two weeks now, the pc black screens, switched hdmi cable not a fix, switched monitor not a fix, cleaned out case not a fix, started up in safe mode and crashed after running for 9 minutes, removed video card, and re-seated it just in case it had...
  3. Persistent pc crashing to black screen followed by reboot. Dump log linked.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Persistent pc crashing to black screen followed by reboot. Dump log linked.: PC has been crashing for about two weeks now, the pc black screens, switched hdmi cable not a fix, switched monitor not a fix, cleaned out case not a fix, started up in safe mode and crashed after running for 9 minutes, removed video card, and re-seated it just in case it had...
  4. Persistent pc crashing to black screen followed by reboot. Dump log linked.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Black Screen then crashes with Memory Dump

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen then crashes with Memory Dump: I've been getting random crashes where the system hangs then reboots. Sometimes when I'm playing videogames, other times when the PC is idle. I've tried cleaning and re-seating my RAM, updating BIOS, removing and installing new GPU drivers but nothing seems to fix this.System...
  6. Black Screen then crashes with Memory Dump

Black Screen then crashes with Memory Dump: I've been getting random crashes where the system hangs then reboots. Sometimes when I'm playing videogames, other times when the PC is idle. I've tried cleaning and re-seating my RAM, updating BIOS, removing and installing new GPU drivers but nothing seems to fix this.System...
  7. Black screen followed by shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen followed by shutdown: Hello.I've been having lots of troubles with a bug that I've had for presumably quite a long time, but that has gotten worse and worse, to the point that now most 3D games have become unplayable. Whenever I try to play one, both of my screens turn black within a few minutes,...
  8. Black screen followed by shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen followed by shutdown: Hello.I've been having lots of troubles with a bug that I've had for presumably quite a long time, but that has gotten worse and worse, to the point that now most 3D games have become unplayable. Whenever I try to play one, both of my screens turn black within a few minutes,...
  9. Black Screen On Bootup But Fine After A Manual Restart

Black Screen On Bootup But Fine After A Manual Restart: Hi everyone. I'm looking for someone who might have any tips on what I might do about a black screen that I get on my startup? I only ever get this black screen in the morning or after many hours of the computer having been shut off with no indication of problems when the...
  10. Black screen but sound, no dump files

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Black screen but sound, no dump files: Hello, My problem is that after I start to play any game, 10-15 mins pass and I have a black screen. There is sound, but the keyboard/mouse won't react, so I have to reset the PC - therefore there is no dump file. I really don't know what to do. Is there a software that...