Windows 10: Black screen with spinning dots after upgrade to Creators Update

Discus and support Black screen with spinning dots after upgrade to Creators Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just upgraded my desktop and laptop to the Windows 10 Creators Update. Everything went well and worked properly, until I installed a cumulative... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GuusFrenken, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Black screen with spinning dots after upgrade to Creators Update

I just upgraded my desktop and laptop to the Windows 10 Creators Update.
    Everything went well and worked properly, until I installed a cumulative update and tried to reboot...
    Now all I get is a black screen and the spinning dots (like it's booting up), I can see the mouse cursor move and the dekstop actually shows up in TeamViewer but when I connect I can't do anything besides file transer.
    I learned that this appears to a be an issue with Logitech wireless peripherals and the common solution is the unplug the Unifying Receiver and Windows should boot properly again... BUT: I have a Logitech MX Master connected through Bluetooth so that's not an option.

It looks like update KB4016251 is the one that caused my issues.

What i've tried so far:

• Startup repair
    • Restore point
    • Booting into safe mode and removing the mouse and wireless card in device manager

Nothing has worked so far and I already ended up doing a clean install on my laptop but my desktop still has this issue, I'm not really willing to do a clean install just yet because it has a lot of software installed..
    I also submitted a ticket at Logitech but my expectations are low.

Update:
    Just finished clean installing and setting up both computers, but I lost all confidence in my Logitech mouse and i'm afraid to plug it in because the same thing might happen again.

Does anyone have a solution or a theory?

:)

GuusFrenken, Apr 5, 2017
  2. ep150de Win User

Windows 10 Stuck At Login Screen With Spinning Circle

I'm getting the same thing after 1709 update.

After several hard restarts with hours on the spinning white dots with black screen, I'm now getting a completely black screen after only an hour of spinning dots.

What is the command to booth into a recovery console or safe mode?

ep150de, Apr 5, 2017
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Creators Update ruined my Inspiron 5555 signature edition laptop

Hi,

It is possible that your laptop may crash after update due to having an incompatible driver with Creators Update. To better assist you, we'd like to ask if have you tried checking the compatibility of your latest driver with Creators Update.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you follow the steps in this article by clicking on this

link
    . It will let you troubleshoot black screen after signing in to Windows 10, black screen with spinning dots and black screen during setup or upgrade.

Feel free to post us back if you need more assistance.

Rose Cal, Apr 5, 2017
  4. Bastet Win User

Black screen with spinning dots after upgrade to Creators Update

So did I, I've read that Logitech wireless mice & keyboards are the culprit, removing the Logitech dongle should allow the pc to boot but as you say that is not the solution in your case.
    You could use Macrium reflect to create an image (as well as the recovery USB), once done cold boot the pc to make sure it still boots fine & then install the mouse, if it doesn't then the mouse is the culprit, if it does boot, reboot several times to really test it, if it fails at any point then use the Recovery drive to boot into Macrium recovery & restore the image.
    I've found that it can also be incompatible USB devices as I had it also on a clean install, I removed my scanner as I couldn't install it & windows continued the boot.

Bastet, Apr 6, 2017
  5. The problem only seems to occur when rebooting after certain updates so I feel pretty much dead in the water until it happens again.
    I'll just make daily images so I can always go back, thanks for the advice!

GuusFrenken, Apr 6, 2017
  6. rd04 Win User
    It can be the Intel Video driver or the USB devices connected to the system.

- First login to bios disable USB boot support or USB emulation and reboot to check! If nogo
    - Restart the system to sfwn., shift + restart will not work as system is not booting up.
    -Crash the system or force restart the system for about 3-5 times.. System will get to winRE or advanced options.
    Once you are in disable video card display adapter from device manager restart.. System should boot fine
    . Then reinstalled the updated drivers.

Note:- Disabling USB boot support disables boot from USB.. After installing the drivers/firmware for the USB connected it has to be enabled back to boot from USB in future.

rd04, Apr 6, 2017
  7. Please keep in mind that this happened to 2 computers, one with integrated graphics and one with a dedicated NVIDIA card, the only thing they have in common are the Logitech mouse.
    They both broke after update KB4016251.

GuusFrenken, Apr 6, 2017
  8. Black screen with spinning dots after upgrade to Creators Update

Hi I just had this issue yesterday.
    Upgraded to Creators Update.
    Restarted and just had the booting spinning Logo.
    After diagnosing I discovered it was the fact that I have RAID enabled in my ASUS Bios. I use 2 spare disks striped on Raid 0 to store games on.
    After setting the BIOS to AHCI I could get back into Windows 10.
    To fix I rolled back to the previous build for now and re enabled my RAID and all was good
    Hope that helps somebody

WindowsIsBroken, Apr 13, 2017
  9. genekorn Win User
    I also had the spinning dots which occurred after a restart several hours after the upgrade. I found that my system was up and I could see the system via Teamviewer also. I have a Logitech mouse which moved and I could click on START and the start screen appeared via teamviewer, but not on my system. I did a restart into safemode via teamviewer and could operate my system. Long story short: Creater downloaded an update for my Nvidia 745 video - version 21.21.13.7653 which was hanging after restart. I changed the driver back to version 10.18.13.54, rebooted and all came up 100% normal. I searched Nvidia and found driver version 8165 or version 21.21.13.8165 (dated 4/10/17) and upgraded to that level and still 100% OK so far. Hope this helps someone. (just a note, when the black screen was present, there was interference with the mouse which I ignored and ran with teamviewer until I could operate in safemode and mouse was fine there).

genekorn, Apr 19, 2017
  10. Ronniedan Win User
    I have the same problem, but I do not have teamviewer... So I feel like I cant do anything. Do you have any suggestions?

Note: I have mouse and keyboard control... The screen just looks like the Windows loading screen

Ronniedan, Apr 22, 2017
  11. genekorn Win User
    You need to boot up in safemode which is tricky on Windows 10, then go to your display adapter in device manager and rollback or update from your machine to a different display adapter driver.

genekorn, Apr 22, 2017
  12. genekorn Win User
    since you cannot see your screen, you might try (by guessing where things are), click on start, then just above that position would be the power icon, click on it, and just above that would be the 'restart' button, do a shift click on the restart button. might take you several tries to guess where the buttons are.

genekorn, Apr 22, 2017
  13. Ronniedan Win User

According to this source - I will have to navigate a lot of menus to get the desired result.

At the moment I am creating a windows 10 DVD.. So I hope to be able to recover or rollback through the options provided by the disc =)

Ronniedan, Apr 22, 2017
  14. genekorn Win User
    As you probably know, F8 to get into safe mode on a boot or restart simply does not work with win 10. Sounds like your system is really up, just the display adapter is not working properly. What I could see and verify that things were working.

What you might try: Look at another system to get a feel for where things are. Then click on the START icon, position the curser to where you think the Power Icon is and click. Then position the curser to where you think the RESTART icon is and then do a SHIFT CLICK to tell the system to restart in safe mode. give it a chance to restart. if it does not try again until you restart in safe mode.

Once you are in safe mode, go to device manager, open the properties of the display adapter. select 'driver', make a mental note of the driver version, select update my driver, browse my computer, let me pick and select a different display adapter than the one that is installed, then restart in normal mode. Hopofully this will get your display back. Good luck.

genekorn, Apr 22, 2017
  15. How did you establish that the NVIDIA driver 21.21.13.7653 was the cause of the problem?
    I'm kind of surprised because I got the exact same problem on 2 computers and only one has NVIDIA graphics.

GuusFrenken, Apr 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Black screen with spinning dots after upgrade to Creators Update - Similar Threads - Black screen spinning

2. Black screen, spinning dots and cursor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen, spinning dots and cursor: When i start my computer, when motherboard logo disappear, there is just spinning dots an cursor and it never start up. But when i go to safe mode and uninstall gpu driver, it starts up normally. PS i tried to delete uptades and all that.(sorry for my bad English) submitted...
  3. Windows 10 Black Screen Spinning White Dots

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Black Screen Spinning White Dots: Hello, I turned on my pc today to find that windows would get stuck on a black screen with spinning white circles endlessly. I have tried using my windows installation media to do startup repair, system restore, and I checked the ssd with chkdsk /r in command prompt. None of...
  4. Windows Black Screen After Spinning Dots & Logo

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Black Screen After Spinning Dots & Logo: Hi, My PC was working fine yesterday, but when I try to boot it up normally this morning, it would just get stuck on a black screen after the blue Microsoft logo and the spinning dots. I can successfully boot it into safe mode, and disconnected all the non-essential...
  5. Cannot login after Windows 10 update, black screen, spinning dots

Cannot login after Windows 10 update, black screen, spinning dots: Hi Everybody, I got a doozy of a problem... tldr; recent update screwed the pooch. Only get black screen or black screen with spinning dots or screen with a flashing __ or sometimes a Y __. Currently unable to actually log into my computer to update or fix anything...
  6. black screen and spinning dots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    black screen and spinning dots: I updated my two Windows 10 laptop and got an issue on both of them. At present when I am rebooting my PC, I see spinning circle on the black screen. I tried to restore the system but it didn’t help. Laptops are Dell and Lenovo. I updated to 1809 version...
  7. infinite spinning dots on black logo screen - after windows 10 updates

infinite spinning dots on black logo screen - after windows 10 updates: Hi - we have had some Windows 10 laptops that have had upstart issues after Windows 10 updates. After restart we see infinite spinning dots on black logo screen. Some times you can succeed with system restore - of a restore point, and sometimes this is not available -...
  8. Stuck with a black screen with the spinning dot after an update

Stuck with a black screen with the spinning dot after an update: Hello! Yesterday I update my Windows and then it booted up correctly, no issues. I shut down my PC last night now I turned it on to work and it appears that it boots correctly but I see a black screen with the spinning dot on top or everything. I can log in and see the task...
  9. Windows 10 Black Screen with Spinning Dots on Startup

Windows 10 Black Screen with Spinning Dots on Startup: Recently, many of our HP computers in our company are having issues starting Windows 10 on their desktop computers. When they turn on the computer, they see the Windows flag and the spinning dots. After a couple seconds, the screen changes to display only the spinning dots...
  10. Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck- Black Screen - Blue Logo - Spinning Dots

Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck- Black Screen - Blue Logo - Spinning Dots: Hi guys, I know there's many threads on this subject but none seem to answer it for me. System: i7 950 X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 16gb Ram GTX760. Pretty sure it's a Samsung 250gb SSD. So I upgraded W7 to W10 via iso. Install made it all the way. On reboot it's now suck...