Windows 10: Black screen with spinning dots after upgrade to Creators Update

Discus and support Black screen with spinning dots after upgrade to Creators Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It was the problem in my case, but there may be other video cards. Googling led me to believe that the black screen/spinning stars were most liked to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GuusFrenken, Apr 5, 2017.

1. genekorn Win User

Black screen with spinning dots after upgrade to Creators Update

It was the problem in my case, but there may be other video cards. Googling led me to believe that the black screen/spinning stars were most liked to be video related, but one implied it might be a mouse issue. Since my mouse was working, I did not pursue the mouse and went for the video and it solved my problem.

genekorn, Apr 24, 2017
  2. XerxesUk Win User

Hi all,

For those of you whom have now a system stuck on the Windows 10 Logo Screen with spinning dots, and possibly a mouse cursor.

Follow these steps....
    1. Shut off system safely by either holding down your PC's power button until it switches off ( performs a "soft-off"), or press release reset button then switch off at plug or PSU
    2. Remove graphics card from motherboard (carefully), paying attention to the little clip that keeps card in place.
    3. Install any other graphics card.
    4. power up system
    4. Boot into windows
    5. Remove all graphics card drivers using add/remove programs (control panel)
    6. shut down system
    7. reinstall original graphics card and download latest driver from manufacturer or if oem or outdated from Nvidia/AMD do not let windows update do it!

If using built-in (on-board) graphics then install any compatible graphics card you may have lying around (you wont need it for long) then carry on with steps 4 onwards

Worked for me
    Hope it helps

XerxesUk, Jul 13, 2017
  3. Chuckles Win User
    Ok, I couldn't get the repair option to come up after pressing the power button several times and restarting. So I forced the issue and went into my bios and turned on "Intel Rapid Storage Technology” or something similar to that and each time I powered back up Windows 10 automatically noticed that I don't have that tech in my system and restarted on it's own. After 2 restarts I waited until I could enter the bios and turned that Intel Rapid Storage Technology option off and did my 3rd restart and bam, Windows Repair option window. Picked advanced options and fumbled thru into safe restart. Then picked option 5 for safe mode with network support and got in. Then I went to Nvidia and downloaded the latest driver and did a clean install and now everything works. I have no idea why my restarting over and over would not bring up recovery options, but by forcing the issue by enabling the Intel Rapid Storage Technology and letting Windows figure it out worked for me. Hope this helps!

Chuckles, Sep 3, 2017
  4. cwm9 Win User

Did you install DuetDisplay at one time in the past? (It uses iPad as a second screen.) The program installed a video driver which worked at the time but is now incompatible with new nVidia drivers and the Creator's update. It causes Windows to boot either fail to boot with spinning dots on the screen, or to boot but display a black screen with frozen dots. Uninstalling DuetDisplay did NOT always properly remove that driver. The problem can be fixed by installing the newest version of DuetDisplay and then immediately uninstalling it if you don't want DuetDisplay. Other 2nd display software programs may have had similar problems.

Thema:

1. Black screen with spinning dots after upgrade to Creators Update - Similar Threads - Black screen spinning

2. Black screen, spinning dots and cursor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen, spinning dots and cursor: When i start my computer, when motherboard logo disappear, there is just spinning dots an cursor and it never start up. But when i go to safe mode and uninstall gpu driver, it starts up normally. PS i tried to delete uptades and all that.(sorry for my bad English) submitted...
  3. Windows 10 Black Screen Spinning White Dots

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Black Screen Spinning White Dots: Hello, I turned on my pc today to find that windows would get stuck on a black screen with spinning white circles endlessly. I have tried using my windows installation media to do startup repair, system restore, and I checked the ssd with chkdsk /r in command prompt. None of...
  4. Windows Black Screen After Spinning Dots & Logo

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Black Screen After Spinning Dots & Logo: Hi, My PC was working fine yesterday, but when I try to boot it up normally this morning, it would just get stuck on a black screen after the blue Microsoft logo and the spinning dots. I can successfully boot it into safe mode, and disconnected all the non-essential...
  5. Cannot login after Windows 10 update, black screen, spinning dots

Cannot login after Windows 10 update, black screen, spinning dots: Hi Everybody, I got a doozy of a problem... tldr; recent update screwed the pooch. Only get black screen or black screen with spinning dots or screen with a flashing __ or sometimes a Y __. Currently unable to actually log into my computer to update or fix anything...
  6. black screen and spinning dots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    black screen and spinning dots: I updated my two Windows 10 laptop and got an issue on both of them. At present when I am rebooting my PC, I see spinning circle on the black screen. I tried to restore the system but it didn’t help. Laptops are Dell and Lenovo. I updated to 1809 version...
  7. infinite spinning dots on black logo screen - after windows 10 updates

infinite spinning dots on black logo screen - after windows 10 updates: Hi - we have had some Windows 10 laptops that have had upstart issues after Windows 10 updates. After restart we see infinite spinning dots on black logo screen. Some times you can succeed with system restore - of a restore point, and sometimes this is not available -...
  8. Stuck with a black screen with the spinning dot after an update

Stuck with a black screen with the spinning dot after an update: Hello! Yesterday I update my Windows and then it booted up correctly, no issues. I shut down my PC last night now I turned it on to work and it appears that it boots correctly but I see a black screen with the spinning dot on top or everything. I can log in and see the task...
  9. Windows 10 Black Screen with Spinning Dots on Startup

Windows 10 Black Screen with Spinning Dots on Startup: Recently, many of our HP computers in our company are having issues starting Windows 10 on their desktop computers. When they turn on the computer, they see the Windows flag and the spinning dots. After a couple seconds, the screen changes to display only the spinning dots...
  10. Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck- Black Screen - Blue Logo - Spinning Dots

Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck- Black Screen - Blue Logo - Spinning Dots: Hi guys, I know there's many threads on this subject but none seem to answer it for me. System: i7 950 X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 16gb Ram GTX760. Pretty sure it's a Samsung 250gb SSD. So I upgraded W7 to W10 via iso. Install made it all the way. On reboot it's now suck...