Windows 10: Black Screens To Prevalent During Upgrade to 10

Discus and support Black Screens To Prevalent During Upgrade to 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; There are constant black screens that block out the view of what a user's machine is doing during an Upgrade or even at boot. I have posted this before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gary, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Gary Win User

Black Screens To Prevalent During Upgrade to 10

There are constant black screens that block out the view of what a user's machine is doing during an Upgrade or even at boot. I have posted this before and got silly answers like just look at your Hard Drive LED. Well to me and some others this is not a joke. I own my machine and I would like to know what MS is putting on it. Sure they provided a free OS but that does not mean that they now own your machine. Now I joined this forum to learn about Windows 10 and to help others while doing so. I have tested almost every build that has been release. I have as of about 15 minutes ago went back to the RTM. I am tired of being a guinea pig for MS.
    I have been told that this was happening in Windows 8.1 so it has been going on for over a year. I have sent numerous reports to MS about this with no response.

This is a serious matter so if you are going to post some silliness please post in the joke thread as this is not a joke. I just happen to believe that a user should not be left in the dark about what is being put on your machine.
    This was not done in Win 3.1 , Windows NT, Windows 95, 2000 and even in Windows ME so why should it be done with what is touted as the best thing to ever come out of Redmond. There are enough privacy issues as it is, we do not need any more. If you do not believe that you have lost most of your privacy then you had better get your head out of the sand.

So for me, I am calling it a night. I hope I have some answers when I wake up in the AM. Thanks for your time. EOR*Smile

:)

2. Andre Da Costa, Aug 28, 2015
  3. My other computer was running windows 10, annirversary update started. Left computer to get on with it now we just have a black screen with a moving cursor. Can't enter safe mode or make any changes!

Hi Lewy,

To resolve the black screen issue on your computer during the anniversary update, we found a helpful solution posted by Sharath Srinivasa on this link:

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Regards.

Loraine Mon, Aug 28, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

First of all when you wake up in the morning- Good morning Gary*Smile,

Now to the nitty-gritty, I didn't experience this "black screen" stuff on either of my PC's, do you think(or anyone else for that matter) it could be video driver related? I mean like when updating a video drive the screen goes temporarily back/blank because the old driver is switched off and uninstalled and the new is installed. I was thinking maybe this was happening in the Windows Preinstallation Environment(WinPE).

Just guessing/brainstorming

Cliff S, Aug 28, 2015
  5. Gary Win User
    No it is not my Video driver as this problem did not exist in any other OS. It is Microsoft that is doing this in their upgrade process. I have a fairly fast PC but I do not have an SSD. I posted that I was not the only one that is experimenting this. I never had any Black screens during any of the upgrades to Windows 7 or any prior OS. The black screen occur even when my Hard Drive LED is showing activity. As you can see from HERE There are more than 10 pages of Black Screen issues. I will now go and look at some of the fixes. I just looked at one and the response from The MS MVP is laughable..
    I can see this black screen during the install practice as in 7 and prior OS's, it was actually covered up by images. I still get a screen Flicker on Logon and with a restart a black screen that lasts less than 10 seconds.

1459 People had the same question.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...9-e20b9718bd8d

6. Cliff S New Member
    I meant the default driver used in the WinPE for the installation process, but after reading that link, I remember I did turn off secure boot and fast boot in BIOS before clean installing.

Cliff S, Aug 28, 2015
  7. Gary Win User
    I never did a clean install. I thought that maybe using Clasic Shell was causing the black screen at boot so I stopped it from starting with Windows and it took a longer time to restart and the black screen with the mouse pointer was twice as long.

8. Cliff S New Member

That is odd Gary*Confused. I really can't help in this case, it's like shooting tin cans in a dark room. The only black screen w/cursor I experienced was when I uninstalled UXStyles after testing theming compatibility with it(absolutely not a good idea now, because of automatic Windows Updates) and a week old Macrium imaged saved the day(again). Sorry.

Cliff S, Aug 28, 2015
  9. Gary Win User
    I used to run a great deal of Themes on Windows 7. I had thought that I removed most of that junk. Maybe I will look again. Thanks Cliff!

10. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome, there is always the possibility of cruft(unwanted/unneeded leftovers from uninstalled software) causing problems.

Cliff S, Aug 28, 2015
  11. Dirk Win User
    I have a laptop and experienced the black screen after a critical update on Windows 7. I resolved the problem by doing a system restore. It happened repeatedly until i disabled auto update. I then upgraded to Win 10. in early August. I again experienced the black screen after the recent update. I do not get a cursor, just a black screen. However I did find that by attaching an external monitor i got a screen. As far as i have been able to tell, this is not an issue with video drivers, rather Windows using the wrong monitor setting as default when doing the update.

I just did a system restore with Win 10 and got my laptop screen back. I have not found where i can turn off auto updates, but just saw that the KB that is causing this problem also is a fix to allow auto updates to be turned off. I have not been able to tell which file is causing the video issue.

Anybody else at this stage?

Thema:

1. Black Screens To Prevalent During Upgrade to 10 - Similar Threads - Black Screens Prevalent

2. Black screen during update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen during update: Hello,I have been having this problem for a few years now and none of the solutions actually helped me, because it talks about black screen after updating. My screen goes black during an update. I don't know if the computer then still updates or not. My drivers are up to...
  3. Black screen during reset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen during reset: Hey hey so I work in tech support and deal with apple computers so I’m really noob at Windows when it comes to troubleshooting them, my windows 10 pc was filled with junk and I wanted to erase completely , I selected remove everything , and went with the default setting for...
  4. Windows 10 upgrade- Black screen

Windows 10 upgrade- Black screen: Good Morning.. While upgrading windows 10 black screen appears, my system configuration is corei3 intel hd graphics 3000, 2 gb ram, what shall I do, black screen continues. How should I proceed further? Help me to come out this problem. I start upgrading only after the...
  5. Black screen during the update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen during the update: I had been getting notifications to update my windows 10 for quite some time, and i finally got the time so i started updating, and during the update windows restarted itself, but then all i got was black screen. I waited 1-2 hours but nothing happened so i searched online to...
  6. Black screen during log in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen during log in: Recently when logging in to my desktop I experienced some black screen I had to reset the drivers to revert it back to normal. It also happened when I played some games and I had to alt-tabbed. And also when I benchmark my computer with the valley. Please help I don't know...
  7. Black screen after 75% during upgrading to win10

Black screen after 75% during upgrading to win10: Hi, I successfully upgraded 2 computers, but have problem with my notebook HP ProBook 4320s. When upgrading reach 75% (100% installing drivers), black screen appears and I have to turn it off and on, then it restores to previous win7. I upgraded all drivers and BIOS with...
  8. black screen during bootup

in Windows 10 Support
    black screen during bootup: During boot up I get a black screen for about 1 min then the login for my account. I notice a lot of hard drive activity during the black screen. I'm using amd-catalyst-15.10beta-64bit-win10-win8.1-win7-oct12.exe (latest one). Win 10 works fine except for the black screen....
  9. Windows 10 Black Screen During Install

Windows 10 Black Screen During Install: Hey guys, I was installing windows 10 (8.1 before) on my Dell inspiron 15 7000 series (7537), and it progressed to restarting after the installing drivers step, but after the restart and going through the dell startup screen, everything went black. The HDD light is stuck...
  10. Windows 10 Upgrade: Black Screen During Installation/Reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Upgrade: Black Screen During Installation/Reboot: I tried upgrading to Windows 10 this evening, and during the installation process my computer rebooted a few times. The second time it rebooted, all I saw was a black screen and it stayed like that. I could see my mouse cursor on the black screen but nothing happened. I tried...