Windows 10: black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included)

Discus and support black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I tried the solutions in this link but the problem still exists.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AHMED ELHINDY, Jun 29, 2019.

1. black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included)

AHMED ELHINDY, Jun 29, 2019

2. Black Squares are displaying in place of shortcuts for desktop icons for Windows 10

I have recently done some changes to remove the desktop shortcuts in windows 10

%windir%\System32\shell32.dll,-50. These were the changes that I did. From then I could see the Black squares in place of shortcuts for desktop icons .So could you please help me with the fix

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage]

SharatthVadla, Jun 29, 2019
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jun 29, 2019
  4. black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included)

Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included)

1. black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included) - Similar Threads - black squares desktop

2. Constant black square over desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant black square over desktop icons: Hello, I have 2 computers that are constantly facing the same exact issues. Everytime I boot them, my desktop icons have black squares on them. There are quick fixes I have found that just put a bandaid on the problem such as using disk cleanup to delete temporary files and...
  3. Constant black square over desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant black square over desktop icons: Hello, I have 2 computers that are constantly facing the same exact issues. Everytime I boot them, my desktop icons have black squares on them. There are quick fixes I have found that just put a bandaid on the problem such as using disk cleanup to delete temporary files and...
  4. Constant black square over desktop icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Black square shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black square shortcut Icons: Just started my pc up and most of my shortcut icons are completely covered with a black square. the icons that have a green tick on the bottom left aren't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-square-shortcut-icons/362dd587-3a8f-47ca-805f-1703983ad6ff
  6. Black square shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black square shortcut Icons: Just started my pc up and most of my shortcut icons are completely covered with a black square. the icons that have a green tick on the bottom left aren't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-square-shortcut-icons/362dd587-3a8f-47ca-805f-1703983ad6ff
  7. Black square shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Desktop icons are black squares

Desktop icons are black squares: For a couple weeks now, I have been stuck with these annoying icon thumbnails, and I have run out of ideas to fix the problem. Essentially, when I turn on my computer, all icons on my desktop and only my desktop that are not native to windows appear as these black squares. In...
  9. Black Squares Over Icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Squares Over Icons: Hi, So my Pc is having a problem where whwnever i play valorant some Black Squares come over icons on desktop, and sometimes over their windows also.But If i close the game they dissapper after some time.Please Help....
  10. {SOLVED} black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included)

{SOLVED} black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included): I tried the solutions in this link but the problem still exists. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/my-desktop-icons-have-a-black-box-over-the-place/a2980ef5-e0fe-45d1-9cfc-d10b70e4c9d5 [IMG]...